Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Mark Panen

Default how to get to runlevel 3

Hi

Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.

Cheers

Mark

Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 AM
frank thyes

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 07:42 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.

Enter who -r to see your current run level but there is no need for
changing it.

Try strg + alt + F9 then alt + F1, login and shutdown your X using the
init script (/etc/init.d/gdm stop for gnome, kdm for kde or xdm)

frank

Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Greg Madden

On Thursday 09 June 2011 09:42:25 pm Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

/etc/inittab on Squeeze.

# Runlevel 0 is halt.
# Runlevel 1 is single-user.
# Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
# Runlevel 6 is
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Dave Sherohman

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 07:42:25AM +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3

Then you are in runlevel 3. If your true objective is to get to
runlevel 3, you have succeeded!

> but X is still on and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.

Unlike Red Hat-derived distributions, Debian leaves it up to the
individual sysadmin to define the significance (if any) of runlevels
2-5. By default, they are all identical.

If X is starting by default, then you must have installed an X display
manager. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I last did a default
Debian install that I have no idea which one might have been
automatically installed (I'm assuming you didn't explicitly install one,
since you don't want what it does to happen), but you should be able to
find the running display manager with

ps ax | grep dm

Look for a process named something like "xdm", "wdm", "gdm", "kdm", etc.
Assuming you found "xdm", you can then shut it down with

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

If, on the other hand, you just need to get to a real console and don't
need to shut X down completely, a simple ctrl-alt-F1 will do that.
(Although, if your purpose is to install nVidia drivers, you probably
will need to shut X down.)

--
Dave Sherohman

Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Mark Panen

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dave Sherohman <dave@sherohman.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 07:42:25AM +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
>> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
>> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3
>
> Then you are in runlevel 3. *If your true objective is to get to
> runlevel 3, you have succeeded!
>
>> but X is still on and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.
>
> Unlike Red Hat-derived distributions, Debian leaves it up to the
> individual sysadmin to define the significance (if any) of runlevels
> 2-5. *By default, they are all identical.
>

> If X is starting by default, then you must have installed an X display
> manager. *Unfortunately, it's been so long since I last did a default
> Debian install that I have no idea which one might have been
> automatically installed (I'm assuming you didn't explicitly install one,
> since you don't want what it does to happen), but you should be able to
> find the running display manager with
>
> ps ax | grep dm
>
> Look for a process named something like "xdm", "wdm", "gdm", "kdm", etc.
> Assuming you found "xdm", you can then shut it down with
>
> /etc/init.d/xdm stop
>

> If, on the other hand, you just need to get to a real console and don't
> need to shut X down completely, a simple ctrl-alt-F1 will do that.
> (Although, if your purpose is to install nVidia drivers, you probably
> will need to shut X down.)
>
> --
> Dave Sherohman

yes, as Frank said /etc/init.d/kdm stop works, one thing i don't
understand about runlevels though is, when i reboot, i still get X
which i want but,

who -r
run-level 2 2011-06-10 09:01 last=S

why is X running at runlevel 2 and not 5?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Dave Sherohman

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 09:37:15AM +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
> yes, as Frank said /etc/init.d/kdm stop works, one thing i don't
> understand about runlevels though is, when i reboot, i still get X
> which i want but,
>
> who -r
> run-level 2 2011-06-10 09:01 last=S
>
> why is X running at runlevel 2 and not 5?

Your who -r output says the last runlevel was S (the capital letter),
not 5 (the numeral). Per "man 8 init":

Runlevel S is not really meant to be used directly, but more for
the scripts that are executed when entering runlevel 1. For more
information on this, see the manpages for shutdown(8) and
inittab(5).

When the system is in runlevel S, it hasn't fully booted. X just hasn't
been started yet at that point.

--
Dave Sherohman

Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Jochen Schulz

Mark Panen:

> why is X running at runlevel 2 and not 5?

As Dave said: in Debian, there's no difference between runlevels 2-5.

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
George Chelidze

why is X running at runlevel 2 and not 5?

sysv-rc-conf is a handy tool to check/set which service is run per run
level. as you can notice, runlevels 2-5 are identical (in Debian)

Archive: 4DF1DE62.7050302@magticom.ge">http://lists.debian.org/4DF1DE62.7050302@magticom.ge

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Mark Panen

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM, George Chelidze <gchelidze@magticom.ge> wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 11:37 AM, Mark Panen wrote:
>>
>> why is X running at runlevel 2 and not 5?
>
> sysv-rc-conf is a handy tool to check/set which service is run per run
> level. as you can notice, runlevels 2-5 are identical (in Debian)

Thanks guys, that clears it up for me.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/10/11 at 07:42am, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.

telinit 3 should work for you, what does `who -r` show?
Why do you want runlevel 3? Debian typically only uses runlevel 2 for normal
operation. Changing to 3 shouldn't have any effect whatsoever.

If you want to turn off X, type ctrl-alt-f1 to get to tty1. Then run
/etc/init.d/{your-display-manager} stop. Your display manager is probably gdm,
but could be xdm, kdm, slim... look for the presence of one of these scripts.

X will then be stopped and you can run the nvidia installer. Are you following
the recommended method of installing the nvidia driver? Here is the wiki on
that in case you don't have it:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
Liam