FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Bret Busby
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

Hello.

I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
firmware netinst iso (from
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
"mirror does not support version (squeeze)".

Please advise.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: alpine.DEB.1.10.1106101334120.22794@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.1.10.1106101334120.22794@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net
 
Old 06-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On 10/06/11 15:37, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
> firmware netinst iso (from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>
> ), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
> tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
> "mirror does not support version (squeeze)".
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..
>
>

I can confirm that my local optus, netspeed, transact mirrors, and the
monash uni mirror are all up (amd64). I suspect the installer might be
asking for something weird.. did you choose http or ftp?

If you still have access to the install at that point:-
When you open a vt (F3) what is the installer asking the repositories
for? (from memory F7 will take you back to the installation screen).

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.
Mistake? [Chuckles]
We don't make mistakes.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DF1DE24.8080604@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF1DE24.8080604@gmail.com
 
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:37:17 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
> firmware netinst iso (from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-
including-firmware/
> ), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
> tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
> "mirror does not support version (squeeze)".

I would re-check the network settings. You may have missed or put a bad
gateway/dns server.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.10.16.05.06@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.10.16.05.06@gmail.com
 
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Bret Busby
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Scott Ferguson wrote:


Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:04:36 +1000
From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors
found
Resent-Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:05:13 +0000 (UTC)
Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On 10/06/11 15:37, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
firmware netinst iso (from
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
"mirror does not support version (squeeze)".

Please advise.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............



I can confirm that my local optus, netspeed, transact mirrors, and the
monash uni mirror are all up (amd64). I suspect the installer might be
asking for something weird.. did you choose http or ftp?

If you still have access to the install at that point:-
When you open a vt (F3) what is the installer asking the repositories
for? (from memory F7 will take you back to the installation screen).

Cheers

--




We don't make mistakes.





Hello.

I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
widescreen things), and written down the content of the last text screen
displayed, which I found at <CTRL><ALT<F4> (It is <CTRL><ALT<F5> to
return to the GUI installation screen), and, rather than typing all of
the content of the screen, I think (but, with my little amount of
knowledge, am not sure) that, as suggested, the problem may lay in the
URL format for the repositories.


for example, for AARNet, the line from the screen (without the
date/timestamp at the start of the line), is


choose-mirror[6418]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release - O - | grep
-E '^(Suite|Codename:'


and for UWA, is

choose-mirror[6608]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
http:ftp.uwa.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release -O - | grep -E
'^(Suite|Codename):'


Now, as I have said, I am of little knowledge in Linux and Debian, but,
to me, the double slash between "debian" and "dists", in the URL's,
makes me wonder whether that might be the source of the problem.


I have tried to transcribe the contents of the screen, as accurately as
possible, (as I said, apart from the date/timestamp at the start of each
line).


If what I have suggested, is not the source of the problem, I could type
in the whole of the content of the last screen of text that is
displayed, but I thought that, if I am correct in my proposition, then
there is no point in typing in the remainder of the content.


I note that the content of the screen, does not include any error
message to the effect "Network is unreachable", so indicating, in the
absence of such a message, that the network connection appears to be
functioning properly.


--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: alpine.DEB.1.10.1106111412530.31281@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.1.10.1106111412530.31281@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net
 
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Lisi
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
[snip]>
> I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
> amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
> this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
> I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
> apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
> widescreen things),

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirresults.html?s=monitor%204:3&f=monitore%204:3

As you see, a large number of 4:3 monitors is still available in the U.K..
Surely at least one of them is available in Australia??

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201106110757.17652.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201106110757.17652.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Bret Busby
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Lisi wrote:


Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:57:17 +0100
From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors
found
Resent-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
[snip]>

I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
widescreen things),


http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirresults.html?s=monitor%204:3&f=monitore%204:3

As you see, a large number of 4:3 monitors is still available in the U.K..
Surely at least one of them is available in Australia??

Lisi




Hello.

I had been basing the unavailability, on the mainstream retailers, where
I have not seen 4:3 monitors, for many months (or a year or so), now.


Your message has caused me to do what I should have done long ago -
search on the Internet, whereby I have found a number of used monitors
that are available within Perth (the state capital) in Western Australia
(the eastern states are thousands of miles away).


So, you have revived my hope in beaing able to buy another 4:3 TFT
monitor.


Thank you for your assistance in this.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: alpine.DEB.1.10.1106111506250.31281@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.1.10.1106111506250.31281@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net
 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On 11/06/11 16:33, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:04:36 +1000
>> From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting
>> mirrors
>> found
>> Resent-Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:05:13 +0000 (UTC)
>> Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>
>> On 10/06/11 15:37, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
>>> firmware netinst iso (from
>>> http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>>
>>>
>>> ), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
>>> tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
>>> "mirror does not support version (squeeze)".

And yet (as the output below shows) they apparently do. You're very
patient - how many months have you been trying this now?

>>>
<snipped>
>
>
> Hello.
>
> I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
> amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
> this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
> I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
> apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
> widescreen things), and written down the content of the last text screen
> displayed, which I found at <CTRL><ALT<F4> (It is <CTRL><ALT<F5> to
> return to the GUI installation screen), and, rather than typing all of
> the content of the screen, I think (but, with my little amount of
> knowledge, am not sure) that, as suggested, the problem may lay in the
> URL format for the repositories.
>
> for example, for AARNet, the line from the screen (without the
> date/timestamp at the start of the line), is
>
> choose-mirror[6418]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release - O - | grep
> -E '^(Suite|Codename:'

Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Suite: stable
Version: 6.0.1
Codename: squeeze
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:04:59 UTC
Architectures: amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
Components: main contrib non-free
Description: Debian 6.0.1 Released 19 March 2011

>
> and for UWA, is
>
> choose-mirror[6608]: DEBUG: command: wget -q
> http:ftp.uwa.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release -O - | grep -E
> '^(Suite|Codename):'

Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Suite: stable
Version: 6.0
Codename: squeeze
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:29:37 UTC
Architectures: amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
Components: main contrib non-free
Description: Debian 6.0 Released 05 February 2011

>
> Now, as I have said, I am of little knowledge in Linux and Debian, but,
> to me, the double slash between "debian" and "dists", in the URL's,
> makes me wonder whether that might be the source of the problem.

I've thought the same in the past - not sure how it works, but it does.
Both those wget requests *should* have worked. I have pasted the headers
from those repositories above.

Try this in your browser:-
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release
It works,

Someone who knows choose-mirrors better than I might want to check this,
but I "suspect" those wget lines should work, and return the following:-
Suite: stable
Codename: squeeze

>
> I have tried to transcribe the contents of the screen, as accurately as
> possible, (as I said, apart from the date/timestamp at the start of each
> line).

They usually scroll pretty quick. When I've had errors with repositories
it's been pretty obvious when looking at the messages. Which leads me to
believe the problem lies elsewhere.

>
> If what I have suggested, is not the source of the problem, I could type
> in the whole of the content of the last screen of text that is
> displayed, but I thought that, if I am correct in my proposition, then
> there is no point in typing in the remainder of the content.

Wise.

>
> I note that the content of the screen, does not include any error
> message to the effect "Network is unreachable", so indicating, in the
> absence of such a message, that the network connection appears to be
> functioning properly.

Agreed.

>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..
>
>

Do you have any live Linux CD/DVDs on hand? 32-bit is fine.

Cheers


--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.
Mistake? [Chuckles]
We don't make mistakes.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DF35536.20403@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF35536.20403@gmail.com
 
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On 11/06/11 17:11, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Lisi wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:57:17 +0100
>> From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Cc: Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting
>> mirrors
>> found
>> Resent-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
>> Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>
>> On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
>> [snip]>
>>> I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
>>> amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
>>> this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
>>> I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
>>> apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
>>> widescreen things),
>>
>> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirresults.html?s=monitor%204:3&f=monitore%204:3
>>
>>
>> As you see, a large number of 4:3 monitors is still available in the
>> U.K..
>> Surely at least one of them is available in Australia??
>>
>> Lisi
>>
>>
>
> Hello.
>
> I had been basing the unavailability, on the mainstream retailers, where
> I have not seen 4:3 monitors, for many months (or a year or so), now.
>
> Your message has caused me to do what I should have done long ago -
> search on the Internet, whereby I have found a number of used monitors
> that are available within Perth (the state capital) in Western Australia
> (the eastern states are thousands of miles away).
>
> So, you have revived my hope in beaing able to buy another 4:3 TFT monitor.
>
> Thank you for your assistance in this.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> .................................................. ..
>
>

Try "Charity Computers" at Mandurah Muscateers Mandurah
U2/ 3 Rafferty Rd Mandurah muscats@bigpond.net.au they get funding from
Microsoft and the Federal government (Digital Divide Project) to recycle
computers. You should be able to pick one up very cheaply. If you
recieve any sort of government payment (or know someone who does) you
can pick up a complete P4 for about $100 - just remove Windoof.

Alternatively you could just ask at your local LUG - mine always has
people giving away large, working pieces of kit. And given the $50+
charge to dispose of them - people tend to dump them outside Op shops -
which are not allowed to sell electrical item (so they like you taking
them).
There's also http://allclassifieds.com.au and the local tip... we try
and make a trip there just after Xmas, and the end of June, with a
screwdriver and a box full of anti-static bags. There's usually a
special area for computers and monitors - with strict rules about not
removing them.... (I feign blindness).

The last CRT rolled off the assembly line in 2009 from memory. Sony
Trinitrons in good nick are now worth more than when they were made. A
pair of 21" Trinitrons is great this time of year (in Canberra).

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.
Mistake? [Chuckles]
We don't make mistakes.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DF38287.70202@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF38287.70202@gmail.com
 
Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 00:58 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/06/11 17:11, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Lisi wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:57:17 +0100
> >> From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Cc: Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting
> >> mirrors
> >> found
> >> Resent-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
> >> Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >>
> >> On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
> >> [snip]>
> >>> I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
> >>> amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
> >>> this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
> >>> I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
> >>> apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
> >>> widescreen things),
> >>
> >> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirresults.html?s=monitor%204:3&f=monitore%204:3
> >>
> >>
> >> As you see, a large number of 4:3 monitors is still available in the
> >> U.K..
> >> Surely at least one of them is available in Australia??
> >>
> >> Lisi
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I had been basing the unavailability, on the mainstream retailers, where
> > I have not seen 4:3 monitors, for many months (or a year or so), now.
> >
> > Your message has caused me to do what I should have done long ago -
> > search on the Internet, whereby I have found a number of used monitors
> > that are available within Perth (the state capital) in Western Australia
> > (the eastern states are thousands of miles away).
> >
> > So, you have revived my hope in beaing able to buy another 4:3 TFT monitor.
> >
> > Thank you for your assistance in this.
> >
> > --
> > Bret Busby
> > Armadale
> > West Australia
> > ..............
> >
> > "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> > you'll know what the answer means."
> > - Deep Thought,
> > Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> > "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> > A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> > written by Douglas Adams,
> > published by Pan Books, 1992
> >
> > .................................................. ..
> >
> >
>
> Try "Charity Computers" at Mandurah Muscateers Mandurah
> U2/ 3 Rafferty Rd Mandurah muscats@bigpond.net.au they get funding from
> Microsoft and the Federal government (Digital Divide Project) to recycle
> computers. You should be able to pick one up very cheaply. If you
> recieve any sort of government payment (or know someone who does) you
> can pick up a complete P4 for about $100 - just remove Windoof.
>
> Alternatively you could just ask at your local LUG - mine always has
> people giving away large, working pieces of kit. And given the $50+
> charge to dispose of them - people tend to dump them outside Op shops -
> which are not allowed to sell electrical item (so they like you taking
> them).
> There's also http://allclassifieds.com.au and the local tip... we try
> and make a trip there just after Xmas, and the end of June, with a
> screwdriver and a box full of anti-static bags. There's usually a
> special area for computers and monitors - with strict rules about not
> removing them.... (I feign blindness).
>
> The last CRT rolled off the assembly line in 2009 from memory. Sony
> Trinitrons in good nick are now worth more than when they were made. A
> pair of 21" Trinitrons is great this time of year (in Canberra).
>
> Cheers

In Germany so called "Sperrmüll" (bulk garbage) once a month can be put
out to the siedwalks, at least in the Ruhrgebiet. I got very good
computer equipment from the bulg garbage, since nobody e.g. wishes to
have a very good large screen but short size CRT monitor, without any
defects, absolutely clean, or a very good keyboard, without folderol.
People prefer bad elcheapo displays from the supermarket, bad keyboards
with all kinds of remote folderol instead. Here in Germany it's easier
to get good computer equipment from the garbage, than brand new from a
supermarket. Most people use computers as a toy, they don't have any
usage, thy just need the toy with the highest numbers, e.g. better 8 GB
RAM, than 4 GB RAM for a 32-bit Windows without PAE .


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1307805110.2378.190.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1307805110.2378.190.camel@debian
 
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On 12/06/11 01:11, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 00:58 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 11/06/11 17:11, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Lisi wrote:
>>>
>>>> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:57:17 +0100
>>>> From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
>>>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>>> Cc: Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
>>>> Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting
>>>> mirrors
>>>> found
>>>> Resent-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
>>>> Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>>>
>>>> On Saturday 11 June 2011 07:33:19 Bret Busby wrote:
>>>> [snip]>
>>>>> I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01
>>>>> amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from
>>>>> this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that
>>>>> I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now
>>>>> apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy
>>>>> widescreen things),
>>>>
<snipped>
>
> In Germany so called "Sperrmüll" (bulk garbage) once a month can be put
> out to the siedwalks, at least in the Ruhrgebiet. I got very good
> computer equipment from the bulg garbage, since nobody e.g. wishes to
> have a very good large screen but short size CRT monitor, without any
> defects, absolutely clean, or a very good keyboard, without folderol.
> People prefer bad elcheapo displays from the supermarket, bad keyboards
> with all kinds of remote folderol instead. Here in Germany it's easier
> to get good computer equipment from the garbage, than brand new from a
> supermarket. Most people use computers as a toy, they don't have any
> usage, thy just need the toy with the highest numbers, e.g. better 8 GB
> RAM, than 4 GB RAM for a 32-bit Windows without PAE .
>
>


Yeah - same here, more computer "consumers" than computer "user". Every
6 to 12 months they buy another one to turn into a worm farm.
Best thing about Debian is that new software gives new life to old
hardware. Classic example is the IBM Thinkpad T22 w. 256MB of RAM I put
Squeeze KDE on yesterday - even with minimal trimming it's still quicker
than a very recent Toshiba running Windoof 7 under multi-GBs of RAM
that I was shown today - (the proud owner didn't understand my lack of
enthusiasm for the ground breaking technology that allowed her multiple
desktops!).

Cheers


--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.
Mistake? [Chuckles]
We don't make mistakes. [Crash!]
Bloody typical. They've gone back
to metric without telling us.

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DF3A16A.3040803@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF3A16A.3040803@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org