Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Mark Panen

Default X host will not connect

Hi

When i ssh into my Debian 6 machine and run synaptic as root, i get:

"synaptic

(synaptic:12730): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0"

i have also tried ssh -X mark@192.168.1.103

then su - to root

this used to work on Ubuntu but does not work here.

Mark

Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Peter Wiersig

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:11:09 +0200, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

> "synaptic
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> (synaptic:12730): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0"

Try "ln -sf /home/mark/.Xauthority /root/" as root if mark is the user
logged in via ssh -X.

Note that this link is then permanent and if you wish to revoke roots
access to your display you can rm /root/.Xauthority

Peter

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Mark Panen

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Peter Wiersig
<friese@london087.server4you.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:11:09 +0200, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "synaptic
>> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>
>> (synaptic:12730): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0"
>
> Try "ln -sf /home/mark/.Xauthority /root/" as root if mark is the user
> logged in via ssh -X.
>
> Note that this link is then permanent and if you wish to revoke roots
> access to your display you can rm /root/.Xauthority
>
> Peter

yes, that works thanks.