Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Martin McCormick

Default Proper Use of adduser.conf

We have set up a backup server and the samba share
accounts we have on the system need to be in a file system that
is very large so I modified /etc/adduser.conf to put them in as
follows:

# The DHOME variable specifies the directory containing users' home
# directories.
DHOME=/srv/backups

# FIRST_[GU]ID to LAST_[GU]ID inclusive is the range of UIDs of dynamically
# allocated user accounts/groups.
FIRST_UID=28000
LAST_UID=29999

FIRST_GID=28000
LAST_GID=29999

When I ran adduser, it appeared to work and placed the
home directory in /srv/backups but if you su - testuser, it
complains that there is no home directory.

The rest of the adduser.conf file is left as is.

Is there a way to make these accounts work normally even
though they are in a different file system?

Thank you.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Peter Wiersig

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:13:27 -0500, Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:

> When I ran adduser, it appeared to work and placed the
> home directory in /srv/backups but if you su - testuser, it
> complains that there is no home directory.

What result is printed on "getent passwd testuser"?

what's the result of "ls -ld ~testuser /srv/backups /srv /"?

Peter

Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Martin McCormick

Peter Wiersig writes:
> What result is printed on "getent passwd testuser"?

# getent passwd testuser
testuser:x:28000:28000:a b c,,,:/srv/backups/testuser:/bin/bash

> what's the result of "ls -ld ~testuser /srv/backups /srv /"?

# ls -ld ~testuser /srv/backups/testuser
drwxr-xr-x 2 testuser testuser 54 Jun 9 13:28/srv/backups/testuser
drwxr-xr-x 2 testuser testuser 54 Jun 9 13:28/srv/backups/testuser

Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Martin McCormick

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM
mark

On Thursday 09 June 2011 04:13:27 pm Martin McCormick wrote:
> We have set up a backup server and the samba share
> accounts we have on the system need to be in a file system that
> is very large so I modified /etc/adduser.conf to put them in as
> follows:
>
> # The DHOME variable specifies the directory containing users' home
> # directories.
> DHOME=/srv/backups
>
> When I ran adduser, it appeared to work and placed the
> home directory in /srv/backups but if you su - testuser, it
> complains that there is no home directory.
>
> The rest of the adduser.conf file is left as is.
>
> Is there a way to make these accounts work normally even
> though they are in a different file system?
>
> Thank you.

How about adding a link in /home to /srv/backups as a part of the
adduser script?

Mark

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Peter Wiersig

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:29:26 -0500, Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:
> Peter Wiersig writes:
> > What result is printed on "getent passwd testuser"?
>
> # getent passwd testuser
> testuser:x:28000:28000:a b c,,,:/srv/backups/testuser:/bin/bash

looking ok.

> > what's the result of "ls -ld ~testuser /srv/backups /srv /"?
>
> # ls -ld ~testuser /srv/backups/testuser
> drwxr-xr-x 2 testuser testuser 54 Jun 9 13:28/srv/backups/testuser
> drwxr-xr-x 2 testuser testuser 54 Jun 9 13:28/srv/backups/testuser

Here you left out the three directories "/srv/backups /srv /"

Could you please run "ls -ld /srv/backups /srv /"?

Peter