Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
AG

Default Gnome desktop settings borked on testing after reboot

Hi all

Having just rebooted after an uptime of 7 days, I have logged into my
Gnome DE to find that all of my settings for the desktop have been
borked and the desktop is close to unfunctional.

These are some of the issues:
1. Windows manager is "unknown" and no configuration tool is registered
2. windows are launched at the top of the screen & I cannot drag these
elsewhere

3. clicking a mouse on a window does not bring it to the fore
4. there are no longer multiple workspaces
5. windows do not have the 'x' in the corner to close, nor any option to
minimise/ enlarge
6. a screensaver launches after ~30 seconds of inactivity (I don't use a
screensaver)

7. no key mapping exists

Both metacity and nautilus are the most current versions. No other
user-based changes made to configuration except for whatever gets
configured in safe updates using update-manager.

Can anyone please help - I really do need a usable desktop environment
to work in.

Thanks.

AG

Archive: 4DF10511.2010603@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF10511.2010603@gmail.com

Old 06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Did you shut down cleanly?

Does ~/.gnome2 still exist? What are the timestamps on it's files?

Do you boot directly into GNOME or enter it using startx?

corrupt."

Archive: 4DF10A42.4090806@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF10A42.4090806@cox.net

Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:38 +0100, AG wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Having just rebooted after an uptime of 7 days, I have logged into my
> Gnome DE to find that all of my settings for the desktop have been
> borked and the desktop is close to unfunctional.
>
> These are some of the issues:
> 1. Windows manager is "unknown" and no configuration tool is registered
> 2. windows are launched at the top of the screen & I cannot drag these
> elsewhere
> 3. clicking a mouse on a window does not bring it to the fore
> 4. there are no longer multiple workspaces
> 5. windows do not have the 'x' in the corner to close, nor any option to
> minimise/ enlarge
> 6. a screensaver launches after ~30 seconds of inactivity (I don't use a
> screensaver)
> 7. no key mapping exists
>
> Both metacity and nautilus are the most current versions. No other
> user-based changes made to configuration except for whatever gets
> configured in safe updates using update-manager.
>
> Can anyone please help - I really do need a usable desktop environment
> to work in.
>
> Thanks.
>
> AG

I can't help but confirm that strange things happen, at least for me
too.
A reboot always reset everything to normal.

If similar happens here, I sometimes get D-Bus errors, but again, after
rebooting everything was fixed.

Yesterday the GNOME terminal emulation all of a sudden changed from
normal letters to some cryptic letters, I closed and opened it ant
everything was ok. I lost the root command history and it kept lost.

My machine is a real-time machine with a self build kernel 2.6.39.1 and
I successfully switched ALSA and jackd by self build versions, but that
shouldn't cause any issues.

I suspect that D-Bus is broken.

Just a shot in the dark

Ralf

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:38 +0100, AG wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Having just rebooted after an uptime of 7 days, I have logged into my
> Gnome DE to find that all of my settings for the desktop have been
> borked and the desktop is close to unfunctional.
>
> These are some of the issues:
> 1. Windows manager is "unknown" and no configuration tool is registered
> 2. windows are launched at the top of the screen & I cannot drag these
> elsewhere
> 3. clicking a mouse on a window does not bring it to the fore
> 4. there are no longer multiple workspaces
> 5. windows do not have the 'x' in the corner to close, nor any option to
> minimise/ enlarge
> 6. a screensaver launches after ~30 seconds of inactivity (I don't use a
> screensaver)
> 7. no key mapping exists
>
> Both metacity and nautilus are the most current versions. No other
> user-based changes made to configuration except for whatever gets
> configured in safe updates using update-manager.
>
> Can anyone please help - I really do need a usable desktop environment
> to work in.
>
> Thanks.
>
> AG

PS, not an issue, but it might has to do with those issues:

spinymouse@debian:~$ gedit
spinymouse@debian:~$ su
Password:
root@debian:/home/spinymouse# gedit

(gedit:7637): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session
manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common
cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed
to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.)
[...]

(gedit:7637): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to rename
'/root/.recently-used.xbel': No such file or directory
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common
cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed
to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.)
GConf Error: Failed to contac [snip]

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 PM
AG

[...]

Hi Ron

Yes I shut down/ rebooted cleanly - or at least as I've always done so.

Yes gnome2 still exists, but I cannot find any timestamps anywhere.

I boot into gdm3 and then login

Cheers

AG

Archive: 4DF10FB9.8070208@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF10FB9.8070208@gmail.com

Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
AG

[...]

Hey Ralf

Thanks for the reply ... unfortunately the reboot fix just ain't working
for me :-(

I've rebooted several times now in the course of trying to fix this and
it is still the same fecked-up cr4p that it was when I appealed for help.

This is a complete nonsense - why are config files being over-written by
a safe-update ? Sorry - don't mean to rant, but this is a complete
waste of time when I have work to do!

Thanks anyway.

AG

Archive: 4DF11059.20706@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF11059.20706@gmail.com

Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:23:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> PS, not an issue, but it might has to do with those issues:
>
> spinymouse@debian:~$ gedit
> spinymouse@debian:~$ su
> Password:
> root@debian:/home/spinymouse# gedit
>
> (gedit:7637): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session
> manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

(...)

Accustom yourself to run a login shell when launching GUI based
applications (i.e., "su -" instead "su") ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Ron Johnson

(gedit:7637): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to rename
'/root/.recently-used.xbel': No such file or directory
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common

Why in ${DEITY}'s name are you logged in as root??????

corrupt."

Archive: 4DF117BC.9030203@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF117BC.9030203@cox.net

Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Ron Johnson

This is a complete nonsense - why are config files being over-written by
a safe-update ? Sorry - don't mean to rant, but this is a complete waste
of time when I have work to do!

It doesn't. But your existing session might have scribbled over something.

I'd suggest moving these directories to a "holding pen" and then restart:
~/.gnome2
~/.config/gnome-session/
~/.config/autostart/
~/.config/compiz/
~/.config/dconf/
~/.config/

corrupt."

Archive: 4DF1190D.1060601@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF1190D.1060601@cox.net

Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 19:26 +0100, AG wrote:
> On 09/06/11 19:19, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:38 +0100, AG wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Having just rebooted after an uptime of 7 days, I have logged into my
> >> Gnome DE to find that all of my settings for the desktop have been
> >> borked and the desktop is close to unfunctional.
> >>
> >> These are some of the issues:
> >> 1. Windows manager is "unknown" and no configuration tool is registered
> >> 2. windows are launched at the top of the screen& I cannot drag these
> >> elsewhere
> >> 3. clicking a mouse on a window does not bring it to the fore
> >> 4. there are no longer multiple workspaces
> >> 5. windows do not have the 'x' in the corner to close, nor any option to
> >> minimise/ enlarge
> >> 6. a screensaver launches after ~30 seconds of inactivity (I don't use a
> >> screensaver)
> >> 7. no key mapping exists
> >>
> >> Both metacity and nautilus are the most current versions. No other
> >> user-based changes made to configuration except for whatever gets
> >> configured in safe updates using update-manager.
> >>
> >> Can anyone please help - I really do need a usable desktop environment
> >> to work in.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> AG
> > I can't help but confirm that strange things happen, at least for me
> > too.
> > A reboot always reset everything to normal.
> >
> > If similar happens here, I sometimes get D-Bus errors, but again, after
> > rebooting everything was fixed.
> >
> > Yesterday the GNOME terminal emulation all of a sudden changed from
> > normal letters to some cryptic letters, I closed and opened it ant
> > everything was ok. I lost the root command history and it kept lost.
> >
> > My machine is a real-time machine with a self build kernel 2.6.39.1 and
> > I successfully switched ALSA and jackd by self build versions, but that
> > shouldn't cause any issues.
> >
> > I suspect that D-Bus is broken.
> >
> > Just a shot in the dark
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> Hey Ralf
>
> Thanks for the reply ... unfortunately the reboot fix just ain't working
> for me :-(
>
> I've rebooted several times now in the course of trying to fix this and
> it is still the same fecked-up cr4p that it was when I appealed for help.
>
> This is a complete nonsense - why are config files being over-written by
> a safe-update ? Sorry - don't mean to rant, but this is a complete
> waste of time when I have work to do!
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> AG

You don't have a multi boot with another Linux for your work? That's
bad! If you have serious work to do, don't waste your time with fixing
your install. If for some reasons you should need this install, keep it
and fix it at another time. I would install a second Linux and do
important work first.

I hope somebody can help you to solve this issue.

Good luck!

Ralf