Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

Default gnome sensors applet: which is which ?

Hello all,

I'm using gnome sensors applet to keep an eye on computer temperature.

The applet configuration lets me choose:

- libsensors
emp1
emp1

I also have udisk (for hard disk temperature).

These 2 libsensors/temp1 produce different values (about 20 degrees
Celsius appart form each other; p.ex: 74 and 95). Can anyone tell me
which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?

Thanks
Joao

Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Brian

On Thu 09 Jun 2011 at 16:34:37 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:

> These 2 libsensors/temp1 produce different values (about 20 degrees
> Celsius appart form each other; p.ex: 74 and 95). Can anyone tell me
> which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?

sensors-detect (the lm-sensors package) should tell you. On my machine
the higher figure would be the CPU.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:34:37 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:

> I'm using gnome sensors applet to keep an eye on computer temperature.
>
> The applet configuration lets me choose:
>
> - libsensors
> emp1
> emp1
>
> I also have udisk (for hard disk temperature).
>
> These 2 libsensors/temp1 produce different values (about 20 degrees
> Celsius appart form each other; p.ex: 74 and 95). Can anyone tell me
> which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?

Most probably the CPU, as Brian pointed out (there should be an icon
identifiying the item) but 74°C and 95°C -being Celsius- are a bit high
values for whatever they meassure (even for a laptop). From what source
(s) does "sensors-applet" gather the data? It may need some tweaking.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Brian

On Thu 09 Jun 2011 at 17:28:23 +0100, Brian wrote:

> sensors-detect (the lm-sensors package) should tell you. On my machine
> the higher figure would be the CPU.

Another way is to deduce which is which from what the bios reports.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:34:37 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
>
> > I'm using gnome sensors applet to keep an eye on computer temperature.
> >
> > The applet configuration lets me choose:
> >
> > - libsensors
> > emp1
> > emp1
> >
> > I also have udisk (for hard disk temperature).
> >
> > These 2 libsensors/temp1 produce different values (about 20 degrees
> > Celsius appart form each other; p.ex: 74 and 95). Can anyone tell me
> > which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?
>
> Most probably the CPU, as Brian pointed out (there should be an icon
> identifiying the item)

both icons are identical !!!

> but 74°C and 95°C -being Celsius- are a bit high
> values for whatever they meassure (even for a laptop). From what source
> (s) does "sensors-applet" gather the data?

I don't know. but the following should help (I hoper it does):

root@wheejy:/# sensors-detect
No i2c device files found.

root@wheejy:/# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +57.5°C (crit = +126.0°C)

nouveau-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +79.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

I can add that these 2 values (79 and 57) are actually the ones
displayed by the applet. both the "sensors" and "sensors-detect"
programs are part of the "lm-sensors" package.

Can you guys make some sense out of these informations ?

thx
Joao

Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?
>
> Most probably the CPU, as Brian pointed out (there should be an icon
> identifiying the item)

both icons are identical !!!

> but 74°C and 95°C -being Celsius- are a bit high
> values for whatever they meassure (even for a laptop). From what source
> (s) does "sensors-applet" gather the data?

I don't know. but the following should help... I hope it does

Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:21:34 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > which is which ? CPU ? Motherboard ?
>>
>> Most probably the CPU, as Brian pointed out (there should be an icon
>> identifiying the item)
>
> both icons are identical !!!

And what do they represent? A CPU chip?

>> but 74°C and 95°C -being Celsius- are a bit high values for whatever
>> they meassure (even for a laptop). From what source (s) does
>> "sensors-applet" gather the data?
>
> I don't know. but the following should help... I hope it does
>
> root@wheejy:/# sensors-detect
> No i2c device files found.

This doesn't look good.

Ah, it's a solved bug, at least if you are running wheezy/sid:

> root@wheejy:/# sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1: +57.5°C (crit = +126.0°C)

This looks like the CPU sensor. It is still a bit high but dependending
on the CPU model it could be in the safe range.

> nouveau-pci-0100
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1: +79.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

Ah, this seems your VGA card's sensor.

> I can add that these 2 values (79 and 57) are actually the ones
> displayed by the applet. both the "sensors" and "sensors-detect"
> programs are part of the "lm-sensors" package.
>
> Can you guys make some sense out of these informations ?

Yep. They now make more sense. But take an eye to the CPU temp, it should
not exceed its limits (neither 74°C nor 95°C are good numbers).

Is this a notebook? Notebooks CPUs tend to be more heat and they support
higher values for T junction.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 09:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> >> Most probably the CPU, as Brian pointed out (there should be an icon
> >> identifiying the item)
> >
> > both icons are identical !!!
>
> And what do they represent? A CPU chip?

yes. seems to be some sort of chip. a CPU I'dd say, yes.

> >> but 74°C and 95°C -being Celsius- are a bit high values for whatever
> >> they meassure (even for a laptop). From what source (s) does
> >> "sensors-applet" gather the data?
> >
> > I don't know. but the following should help... I hope it does
> >
> > root@wheejy:/# sensors-detect
> > No i2c device files found.
>
> This doesn't look good.
>
> Ah, it's a solved bug, at least if you are running wheezy/sid:

> > root@wheejy:/# sensors
> > acpitz-virtual-0
> > Adapter: Virtual device
> > temp1: +57.5°C (crit = +126.0°C)
>
> This looks like the CPU sensor. It is still a bit high but dependending
> on the CPU model it could be in the safe range.

this is a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. It's a 2 core.

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15