Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Default Plug in with FIREFOX

Hi,

I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with Firefox.

Thank you.

Regards.

Alex PADOLY

*

*

Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
"Michael Checca"

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:11:23 -0400, <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:

Hi,

I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with Firefox.

Thank you.
Regards.

Alex PADOLY

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree icedtea6-plugin

The flashplugin-nonfree downloads directly from Adobe.
The icedtea6-plugin is the browser plugin of OpenJDK

--
Michael Checca
echo "complaints" > /dev/null

Archive: op.vwtdzs1v4b8ft1@michael-laptop">http://lists.debian.org/op.vwtdzs1v4b8ft1@michael-laptop

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:11:23 +0000, alex.padoly wrote:

> I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
> package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with Firefox.

I would download flash directly from Adobe site:

http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

(a 64-bits bits plugin -plenty of bugs- is also available)

And Oracle/Sun's java from:

http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Sun

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 10/06/11 01:15, Michael Checca wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:11:23 -0400, <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
>> package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with Firefox.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards.
>>
>> Alex PADOLY
>
> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

currently not working for Squeeze

> icedtea6-plugin

<snipped>
> The icedtea6-plugin is the browser plugin of OpenJDK

After you've installed what you need except for Flash...

Add debian-multimedia to /etc/apt/sources.list:-
eg:-
#Multimedia repository - only use if the package cannot be found in
standard repositories
#deb http://mirror.optus.net/debian-multimedia/ stable main non-free
#deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/debian-multimedia/ stable main

See this page to find your local mirror:-
http://debian-multimedia.org/

Guessing that you're new - you'll probably go for a default install
which will give you sudo and a Gnome desktop. That also means you'll
have gnash installed which will handle flash well in many cases.

To modify /etc/apt/sources.list open a terminal run:-
1. sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
copy and paste the appropriate lines from the web page into the file
make sure you uncomment the first "deb" line (remove the # from the
start of the line)
save it (F2), yes, Enter
install the signing key for the repository:-
2. sudo apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring
Update the apt database:-
3. sudo apt-get update
install flash:-
4. sudo flashplayer-mozilla
install dvd decrypt while you're there:-
5. sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

When you're done comment out the first deb line again:-
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
then update the apt database again:-
sudo apt-get update
Some of the packages in Multimedia have the same names as ones on in the
main repositories - and mixing them can break things. It's best to only
enable Multimedia for specific packages.

Cheers
--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:15:18AM -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:11:23 -0400, <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> > I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
> >package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with
> >Firefox.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Regards.
> >
> > Alex PADOLY
>
> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree icedtea6-plugin
>
> The flashplugin-nonfree downloads directly from Adobe.
> The icedtea6-plugin is the browser plugin of Open

Squeeze autoinstalls gnash which seems to work perfectly. Is there a
reason to install flashplugin-nonfree and icedtea6-plugin? What am I
missing?

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
"Michael Checca"

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:06:46 -0400, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:15:18AM -0400, Michael Checca wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:11:23 -0400, <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
>package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with
>Firefox.
>
> Thank you.
> Regards.
>
> Alex PADOLY

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree icedtea6-plugin

The flashplugin-nonfree downloads directly from Adobe.
The icedtea6-plugin is the browser plugin of Open

Squeeze autoinstalls gnash which seems to work perfectly. Is there a
reason to install flashplugin-nonfree and icedtea6-plugin? What am I
missing?

Gnash never worked well for me. Very choppy and memory intensive.
As for icedtea6-plugin, that is the OpenJDK Java plugin for browsers.
You could also install sun-java6-plugin instead (which is Sun/Oracle's
version)

--
Michael Checca
echo "complaints" > /dev/null

Archive: op.vwtoyexk4b8ft1@michael-laptop">http://lists.debian.org/op.vwtoyexk4b8ft1@michael-laptop

Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 03:44:20AM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

..........snip........

> Guessing that you're new - you'll probably go for a default install
> which will give you sudo and a Gnome desktop.

And I'm guessing you're an Ubuntu user. Debian doesn't install sudo as
default.

.........snip........

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 12:06 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:15:18AM -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
> > On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:11:23 -0400, <alex.padoly@laposte.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > > I going to install Debian 6.0 this week-end and I will know wich
> > >package I must to install to have flash and java plugin with
> > >Firefox.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > > Regards.
> > >
> > > Alex PADOLY
> >
> > sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree icedtea6-plugin
> >
> > The flashplugin-nonfree downloads directly from Adobe.
> > The icedtea6-plugin is the browser plugin of Open
>
> Squeeze autoinstalls gnash which seems to work perfectly. Is there a
> reason to install flashplugin-nonfree and icedtea6-plugin? What am I
> missing?

At least older versions of gnash didn't work perfectly, there was the
need to use the proprietary flash, I dunno what gnash is able to do now.

If gnash works for the sites you visit IMO it's the better choice .

Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 15:12 -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
> > Squeeze autoinstalls gnash which seems to work perfectly. Is there a
> > reason to install flashplugin-nonfree and icedtea6-plugin? What am I
> > missing?

Can you watch this video with gnash?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZLFTW4OGY&feature=related

I wanted to show somebody this video about dyslexia and needed to
install flashplugin-nonfree, because gnash from testing wasn't able to
play it.

Regards,

Ralf