Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Scott Ferguson

Default Bad characters on e-mail headers (from debian-user list)

On 09/06/11 23:30, � wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:31:14 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>> <snipped>
> (...)
>> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?snipped
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I don't see this :-?

I didn't think so. I'm betting if you email yourself you don't see it
either.

> (...)

> ^^^^
>
> Neither this one.

ditto

>> NOTE: the From: line and Content-Transfer-Encoding
>
> Yes, but dunno what can be the source. Is there a way to download the raw
> messages from the mailing list server?

Sort of - check your mail.

Do you mail directly to the list? Because it looks like the list server
is just resending the email to the list with the From string unchanged.
So if it doesn't leave your client (Pan) with that From string, and your
email gateway (gmail) doesn't add then maybe it's gmane...?

I get plenty of email from Pan clients, and I get email from lists that
was sent there through gmail, neither do the same trick.

>> >From another poster's headers (all characters translate):-
>>
>> From: Ralf Mardorf <snipped>
>> <snipped>
>
> This one looks right.

Yes. I think Ralf posts directly to the list. The headers make it look
that way - but I know fa about mail headers.

>> Another one with untranslatable characters:-
>>
>> From: =?UTF-8?B?5byg5ZCv5b63?= <snipped> <snipped>
>
> Have you tried to open one of my messages with another MUA? Just so see
> if there is any difference in rendering.

No. For reasons too lengthy to post.
Only online in the gmail interface just now.
You are still "the Black Diamond ?" (in gmail)

:-D

-
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.
Mistake? [Chuckles]
We don't make mistakes.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

This is the only line in the header in a non human readable style and
it's for the source only:

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Camale=F3n?=

Evolution translated it to human readable style:

From: Camalen

And yes, I send directly to the list, I don't have my own server, if
this was meant. Ralf at home --> Provider's Win thingy --> List