Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Camaleón

Default Bad characters on e-mail headers (was iceape 1.0.9 and IPv6 compatibility)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:31:14 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 09/06/11 21:41, � wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:26:38 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>> On 09/06/11 21:07, � wrote:
>>>
>>> The sender I see ^ is a question mark character - usually a part of
>>> Camaleón's name.... what character set are you using?
>>
>> That should be an error from Icedove when it converts from "7bit" to
>> "quoted-printable" :-P
>>
>> No, seriously, I dunno. I use Pan newsreader and this is what I see for
>> my headers:

> <snipped>
(...)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?snipped
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't see this :-?

(...)

^^^^

Neither this one.

> NOTE: the From: line and Content-Transfer-Encoding

Yes, but dunno what can be the source. Is there a way to download the raw
messages from the mailing list server?

>>From another poster's headers (all characters translate):-
>
> From: Ralf Mardorf <snipped>
> <snipped>

This one looks right.

> Another one with untranslatable characters:-
>
> From: =?UTF-8?B?5byg5ZCv5b63?= <snipped> <snipped>

Have you tried to open one of my messages with another MUA? Just so see
if there is any difference in rendering.

> It appears to be the result of the modified From string - don't know if
> that's from your email client, or the way Exim is handling it... maybe
> it's part of Gmane's email shell game. No problem. You just need to
> change your name from Camaleón to "White Question mark on a black
> diamond formerly known as Camaleón".
>

> :-)

He, he... :-)

Greetings from "Black Diamond",

--
Camaleón

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 13:30 +0000, Camalen wrote:
> > From: Ralf Mardorf <snipped>
> > <snipped>
>
> This one looks right.

For this mail I switched to ISO-8859-15 and I'll add the German umlauts
and another German letter called sz to the body:

Has this impact to the header or just to the mail's body?

Those incompatibilities are really annoying.

Is my header still correct translated?

FWIW my Debian install isn't a German install, I chose

Country United Kingdom - en_GB.UTF-8
and just Keymap German

-- Ralf

Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:16:17 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 13:30 +0000, Camalen wrote:
>> > From: Ralf Mardorf <snipped>
>> > <snipped>
>>
>> This one looks right.
>

> For this mail I switched to ISO-8859-15 and I'll add the German umlauts
> and another German letter called sz to the body:

It seems the problem is limited to the "From:" header field. But I don't
see any special character in your name so using "utf-8" or "iso-8859-15"
in your case shouldn't make any difference :-)

> Has this impact to the header or just to the mail's body?

Dunno. What hapenned between Scott and my posts is very localized, I
guess... but know I think, I don't know if other mailings list users are
facing the same problem with my nickname.

> Those incompatibilities are really annoying.

Yep, but IMO using an "iso-" encoding is a step backwards ;-(

(I selected "iso-8859-1" for this e-mail, let's see if Scott sees any
difference or still the "black diamond" :-) )

> Is my header still correct translated?

I see it right.

> FWIW my Debian install isn't a German install, I chose
>
> Country United Kingdom - en_GB.UTF-8
> and just Keymap German

System locale should not affect but MUA encoding selection and the e-mail
servers involved in posting handling, like Debian mailing list server or
Gmane (the gateway I use). Both make modifications on the posts to add
the corresponding headers or e-mail footers so the problem can be here.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Camalen - Ralf Mardorf

And now?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 10/06/11 00:16, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 13:30 +0000, Camale�n wrote:
>>> From: Ralf Mardorf <snipped>
>>> <snipped>
>>
>> This one looks right.
>

> For this mail I switched to ISO-8859-15 and I'll add the German umlauts
> and another German letter called sz to the body:

>From the header:-

> �

^ That's how Camaleón's name appears as the usually appears as sender
In this case there's four of them (black diamond with white question
mark when viewed as plain text UTF8 (my default viewing setting for this
list)

> �
> �
> �
>
> Has this impact to the header or just to the mail's body?

Just the mail body. When viewed as raw I see (so something is not right
with my settings!), and when viewed in gmail it's different characters
again.

=E4
=F6
=FC
=DF

> Those incompatibilities are really annoying.

I can live with the lack of a name in the From field - as there's only
one BlackDiamondQuestion in the debian-users list :-)
It's the occasional email like earlier where his name appears nowhere in
the email - just the symbol. It's easy enough to get lost in threads and
attribute comments to the wrong people without having to workout who the
following is:-
"On 09/06/11 21:41, � wrote:"

> Is my header still correct translated?

Yes.

> FWIW my Debian install isn't a German install, I chose
>
> Country United Kingdom - en_GB.UTF-8

Country Australia - en_AU.UTF-8

> and just Keymap German

kept the kernel keymap (saving up all my microseconds)

> -- Ralf

I'm further confused now. Camaleón sent me a direct email using Mutt
1.5.18 and UTF8 encoding. The From string in the header was:-
From: =?utf-8?B?Q2FtYWxlw7Nu?= <his@email>

Yet his name is now displayed in the From field in Icedove. I'm
presuming that's coming from my address book or somewhere because I
can't see it in the headers.
Doubly frustrating as I'm convinced it's at least partly my settings -
indecipherable symbols are an occasional problem - but it's consist with
the From string on the list, and it only affects him.

Cheers

Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Scott Ferguson

Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 09 June 2011 16:38:25 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> but it's consist with
> the From string on the list, and it only affects him.

I think that "him" should be "her". I'm sure trhat she will correct me if I
am wrong!

Lisi

Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Lisi

Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Camaleón

^ That's how Camaleón's name appears as the usually appears as sender
In this case there's four of them (black diamond with white question
mark when viewed as plain text UTF8 (my default viewing setting for this
list)

It seems you're also facing problems with another postings and not just
mines... hum... curious.

Has this impact to the header or just to the mail's body?

Just the mail body. When viewed as raw I see (so something is not right
with my settings!), and when viewed in gmail it's different characters
again.

=E4
=F6
=FC
=DF

I would start thinking about Gmail's webmail.

Those incompatibilities are really annoying.

I can live with the lack of a name in the From field - as there's only
one BlackDiamondQuestion in the debian-users list :-)

That's should be me :-)

From: =?utf-8?B?Q2FtYWxlw7Nu?=<his@email>

Yet his name is now displayed in the From field in Icedove. I'm
presuming that's coming from my address book or somewhere because I
can't see it in the headers.
Doubly frustrating as I'm convinced it's at least partly my settings -
indecipherable symbols are an occasional problem - but it's consist with
the From string on the list, and it only affects him.

Yep, I still fail to see a clear culprit in all this mess. BTW, I'm she :-)

(note: this one is posted from Icedove)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón