Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Mark Panen

Default Setting up networking on eth0

Hi

I am using KDE on 6.0.0, knetworkmanager uses auto eth0 to get a DHCP
address. I have added a wired connection for a static address, but
each time i reboot it uses the auto eth0 and i want a static address.
Here is my setup:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Cheers

Mark

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 09 June 2011 03:26:23 Mark Panen wrote:
> I am using KDE on 6.0.0, knetworkmanager uses auto eth0 to get a DHCP
> address. I have added a wired connection for a static address, but
> each time i reboot it uses the auto eth0

auto eth0 does not set the IP. It tells the system to start eth0
automatically at start up.

> and i want a static address.
> Here is my setup:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Give the second of these a line to itself.

#NetworkManager
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

This second of these lines is your problem. You
are telling the system to use dhcp. You want iface eth0 inet static and then
the settings. Here is mine:

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

The gateway is my router.

Lisi

Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Mark Panen

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 June 2011 03:26:23 Mark Panen wrote:
>> I am using KDE on 6.0.0, knetworkmanager uses auto eth0 to get a DHCP
>> address. I have added a wired connection for a static address, but
>> each time i reboot it uses the auto eth0
>
> auto eth0 does not set the IP. *It tells the system to start eth0
> automatically at start up.
>
>> and i want a static address.
>> Here is my setup:
>>
>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>> #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Give the second of these a line to itself.
>
> #NetworkManager
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> This second of these lines is your problem. *You
> are telling the system to use dhcp. *You want iface eth0 inet static and then
> the settings. *Here is mine:
>
> iface eth1 inet static
> * * * *address 192.168.0.2
> * * * *netmask 255.255.255.0
> * * * *network 192.168.0.0
> * * * *broadcast 192.168.0.255
> * * * *gateway 192.168.0.1
> * * * *# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> installed
> * * * *dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
>
> The gateway is my router.
>
> Lisi

yes thanks you helped me sort it out.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 09 iun 11, 04:26:23, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using KDE on 6.0.0, knetworkmanager uses auto eth0 to get a DHCP
> address. I have added a wired connection for a static address, but

Added where, in Network Manager (NM)?

> each time i reboot it uses the auto eth0 and i want a static address.
> Here is my setup:

You posted your /etc/network/interfaces , but NM doesn't read
configurations from that file. First you need to decide if you need/want
NM. IMO it is not really useful for a desktop with a single connection,
but you didn't give more details.

If you go this way best is to completely purge all NM related packages
and go with the config posted by Lisi.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 09 iun 11, 09:33:43, Lisi wrote:

> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Give the second of these a line to itself.
>
> #NetworkManager
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> This second of these lines is your problem. You are telling the
> system to use dhcp.

Not really, lines starting with '#' are only comments and don't do
anything.

> You want iface eth0 inet static and then the settings. Here is mine:
>
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.0.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255

BTW, 'network' and 'broadcast' are not really needed, since they can be
calculated based on 'address' and 'netmask'

> gateway 192.168.0.1
> # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> installed
> dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

As the comment implies, the 'dns-nameserves' line needs the package
resolvconf, otherwise you'll have to edit /etc/resolv.conf directly. I
prefer resolvconf, because I have all network configurations in one
place

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Lisi

On Saturday 11 June 2011 09:10:53 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 09 iun 11, 09:33:43, Lisi wrote:
> > > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> > >
> > > # The loopback network interface
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> > >
> > > # The primary network interface
> > > allow-hotplug eth0
> > > #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > Give the second of these a line to itself.
> >
> > #NetworkManager
> > #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > This second of these lines is your problem. You are telling the
> > system to use dhcp.
>
> Not really, lines starting with '#' are only comments and don't do
> anything.

Yes - as I sent it I thought: oh, bother, I failed to point out that not only
did it not achieve what he wanted, but it wasn't actually doing anything.

But he wanted static anyway.

As for your other points, again, yes you are obviously right. But I have had
it for years and it works and I am a great believer in: if it ain't broke,
don't fix it. ;-)

> > You want iface eth0 inet static and then the settings. Here is mine:
> >
> > iface eth1 inet static
> > address 192.168.0.2
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > network 192.168.0.0
> > broadcast 192.168.0.255
>
> BTW, 'network' and 'broadcast' are not really needed, since they can be
> calculated based on 'address' and 'netmask'
>
> > gateway 192.168.0.1
> > # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> > installed
> > dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
>
> As the comment implies, the 'dns-nameserves' line needs the package
> resolvconf, otherwise you'll have to edit /etc/resolv.conf directly. I
> prefer resolvconf, because I have all network configurations in one
> place

Lisi

Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 11 iun 11, 10:11:40, Lisi wrote:

> As for your other points, again, yes you are obviously right. But I have had
> it for years and it works and I am a great believer in: if it ain't broke,
> don't fix it. ;-)

Yes, I know what you mean, I'm just obsessed with "minimal changes"

Regards,
Andrei