FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Tom Furie
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:26:02AM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> aha, I did this :
>
> which x-terminal-emulator
>
> and got this :
>
> /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
> which is a script.

Hmm, I would expect that to be a link to
/etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator.

Cheers,
Tom

--
The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying.
-- Samuel Goldwyn
 
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
William Hopkins
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On 06/08/11 at 07:26am, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 01:14:35 -0400
> William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 06/07/11 at 10:04pm, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > x-terminal-emulator is a script stand-in that simply redirects the command line + options to gnome-terminal.
> > >
> > > if you try, for example,
> > >
> > > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> > >
> > > it doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Please provide the output of `ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator`
> >
> > It is not necessarily a script, but a series of links which route to whatever terminal emulator you currently have configured.
> >
>
> aha, I did this :
>
> which x-terminal-emulator
>
> and got this :
>
> /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
> which is a script.

I doubt it. Try ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
you should see it is a link to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
which is then a link to a script. If you try to open any of them you'll just be opening the final one, which is a script (gnome-terminal.wrapper).

I don't have gnome-terminal installed to assist in troubleshooting, though.

--
Liam
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 AM
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:04:22 -0400
William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/08/11 at 07:26am, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 01:14:35 -0400
> > William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On 06/07/11 at 10:04pm, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > > > Hi all,
> > > >
> > > > x-terminal-emulator is a script stand-in that simply redirects the command line + options to gnome-terminal.
> > > >
> > > > if you try, for example,
> > > >
> > > > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> > > >
> > > > it doesn't seem to work.
> > >
> > > Please provide the output of `ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator`
> > >
> > > It is not necessarily a script, but a series of links which route to whatever terminal emulator you currently have configured.
> > >
> >
> > aha, I did this :
> >
> > which x-terminal-emulator
> >
> > and got this :
> >
> > /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> >
> > which is a script.
>
> I doubt it. Try ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> you should see it is a link to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> which is then a link to a script. If you try to open any of them you'll just be opening the final one, which is a script (gnome-terminal.wrapper).

you are correct.

>
> I don't have gnome-terminal installed to assist in troubleshooting, though.
>

and the thing is - the script looks like it should work.

of course why there is a perl script instead of a bash script which simply revokes the terminal with the command line args is unclear to me.

Regardless, is this a bug ?

Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110608183830.672b56ea@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110608183830.672b56ea@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 AM
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:59:03 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 22:04:02 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > x-terminal-emulator is a script stand-in that simply redirects the
> > command line + options to gnome-terminal.
> >
> > if you try, for example,
> >
> > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> >
> > it doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > bug ?
>
> Hum... here (lenny) neither works (gnomer-terminal launches but the
> parameter is ignored).
>

I verified again. gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.

This is all kind of silly.

Why doesn't gnome-terminal have a preference setting for the size ?

Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110608184003.0d53fe1e@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110608184003.0d53fe1e@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Jon Dowland
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:04:02PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
>
> it doesn't seem to work.

x-terminal-emulator should implement the 'xterm' command-line arguments. xterm
doesn't accept --geometry=80x50:

Doesn't work:
x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
x-terminal-emulator -geometry=80x50
xterm --geometry=80x50
xterm -geometry=80x50

Does work:
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x50
xterm -geometry 80x50


--
Jon Dowland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110609092414.GA13905@deckard.alcopop.org">http://lists.debian.org/20110609092414.GA13905@deckard.alcopop.org
 
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Camaleón
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:40:03 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:59:03 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > if you try, for example,
>> >
>> > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
>> >
>> > it doesn't seem to work.
>> >
>> > bug ?
>>
>> Hum... here (lenny) neither works (gnomer-terminal launches but the
>> parameter is ignored).
>>
>>
> I verified again. gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
> x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
>
> This is all kind of silly.

Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");

The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
terminal parlance ("--geometry=").

> Why doesn't gnome-terminal have a preference setting for the size ?

Follow Jon's suggestion, it works that way.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.09.11.29.10@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.09.11.29.10@gmail.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Camaleón
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:40:03 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:59:03 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > if you try, for example,
>> >
>> > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
>> >
>> > it doesn't seem to work.
>> >
>> > bug ?
>>
>> Hum... here (lenny) neither works (gnomer-terminal launches but the
>> parameter is ignored).
>>
>>
> I verified again. gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
> x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
>
> This is all kind of silly.

Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");

The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
terminal parlance ("--geometry=").

> Why doesn't gnome-terminal have a preference setting for the size ?

Follow Jon's suggestion, it works that way.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.09.11.29.10@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.09.11.29.10@gmail.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:24:14 +0100
Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:04:02PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> >
> > it doesn't seem to work.
>
> x-terminal-emulator should implement the 'xterm' command-line arguments. xterm
> doesn't accept --geometry=80x50:
>
> Doesn't work:
> x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> x-terminal-emulator -geometry=80x50
> xterm --geometry=80x50
> xterm -geometry=80x50
>
> Does work:
> x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x50
> xterm -geometry 80x50
>
>

Thank you. That does work.


Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110609072108.3845ac1b@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110609072108.3845ac1b@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:29:10 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:40:03 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:59:03 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> > if you try, for example,
> >> >
> >> > x-terminal-emulator --geometry=80x50
> >> >
> >> > it doesn't seem to work.
> >> >
> >> > bug ?
> >>
> >> Hum... here (lenny) neither works (gnomer-terminal launches but the
> >> parameter is ignored).
> >>
> >>
> > I verified again. gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
> > x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
> >
> > This is all kind of silly.
>
> Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
> push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");
>
> The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
> terminal parlance ("--geometry=").
>

There's still a bug, as the man page brings up the man page/options for gnome-terminal which uses "--geometry=".

And here's the really interesting part, the x-terminal-emulator script:

exec('gnome-terminal',@args);

So x-terminal-emulator is using -option, but telling you the whole time that it's going to execute gnome-terminal, for which the man page is different from what it's actually doing.


Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110609072158.16450a59@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110609072158.16450a59@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Camaleón
 
Default x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:21:58 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:29:10 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > I verified again. gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
>> > x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
>> >
>> > This is all kind of silly.
>>
>> Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>> elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
>> push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");
>>
>> The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
>> terminal parlance ("--geometry=").
>>
>>
> There's still a bug, as the man page brings up the man page/options for
> gnome-terminal which uses "--geometry=".

I think there is no bug... let' see:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep help /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
elsif ($opt eq '-h' || $opt eq '--help')
push(@args, '--help');

The "help" command from "x-terminal-emulator" accepts both arguments, "-
h" and "--help") ;-)

> And here's the really interesting part, the x-terminal-emulator script:
>
> exec('gnome-terminal',@args);
>
> So x-terminal-emulator is using -option, but telling you the whole time
> that it's going to execute gnome-terminal, for which the man page is
> different from what it's actually doing.

Hum... I'm afraid I don't follow you here :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.09.14.58.02@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.09.14.58.02@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org