Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Russell Gadd

Default USB stick no longer automounting at boot

I have today set up a new installation of Linux Mint and it is
exhibiting the same symptoms as my installation of Squeeze as follows
- I have a USB stick permanently plugged in (for backup purposes) and
when the system boots the stick is not mounted. When I first installed
it mounted ok and I could see it on the desktop, but now I have to
physically unplug and replug the stick to get the system to mount it.
I think this behaviour may have occurred after I installed a trial
version of NOD32 antivirus for Linux (on both systems), but I'm not
certain. I stopped NOD32 from starting at boot but this doesn't make
any difference, so I don't know if that is the cause or maybe some
other software update. Any ideas would be welcome.

My knowledge is pretty elementary at this level but I have run the
following 2 commands to check that the device is recognised:

fdisk -l reveals:

Disk /dev/sdb: 4076 MB, 4076863488 bytes
166 heads, 54 sectors/track, 888 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8964 * 512 = 4589568 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 889 3981288 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(495, 165, 54) logical=(888, 47, 54)

also blkid gives:

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="ISISBACK" UUID="D743-AC68" TYPE="vfat"

Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:36:28 +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:

> I have today set up a new installation of Linux Mint and it is
> exhibiting the same symptoms as my installation of Squeeze as follows -
> I have a USB stick permanently plugged in (for backup purposes) and when
> the system boots the stick is not mounted. When I first installed it
> mounted ok and I could see it on the desktop, but now I have to
> physically unplug and replug the stick to get the system to mount it. I
> think this behaviour may have occurred after I installed a trial version
> of NOD32 antivirus for Linux (on both systems), but I'm not certain. I
> stopped NOD32 from starting at boot but this doesn't make any
> difference, so I don't know if that is the cause or maybe some other
> software update. Any ideas would be welcome.

(...)

If the USB key is always attached to your computer I would make a static
mount point under "/etc/fstab".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón