Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Camaleón

Default Mice (was: PS/2 mouse vs USB mouse)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:16:33 -0400, KS wrote:

> On 07/06/11 01:52 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> You *like* ball mice?
>>
>> Mine also have such "dinosaurian" piece of hardware ball... and I'll
>> say more, it's manufactured from Microsoft (IntelliMouse 1.3A) O:-)
>>

> Off topic but .... I picked up a Logitech M515 last weekend to give it a
> whirl. USB wireless* mouse with sealed bottom and moves cursor if you
> hold it properly. I do have a roller ball Logitech mouse on another
> machine. It wouldn't take a second if had to change it with an optical
> or more recently a laser mouse.

I still see some disadvantages for laser or BlueTrack based mice:

1/ They do not work on crystal or clear surfaces

2/ I find batteries (even rechargable) a PITA :-)

3/ There are also some security concerns in using wireless for input
devices but nowadays I think the data flow between sender and receiver
units can be encrypted

For sporadic usage or to use with notebooks/netbooks/ipods/ipads/tables,
they can be nice and convenient.

For intensive usage, heck... leave me with my Cherry corded keyboard with
a weight of ~1,8 kg and its characteristic "clack, clack" sound ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 18:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> For intensive usage, heck... leave me with my Cherry corded keyboard with
> a weight of ~1,8 kg and its characteristic "clack, clack" sound ;-)

I've got two simple and good keyboards, one seems to be a Cherry and the
other is better, because it's good + silent. The Cherry (or Cherry like)
has got a very old connector and needs an adaptor for PS/2 usage. I
don't like the Cherry, but I'm still an old school two finger fast and
heavy writer, a relic from the 80's when I programmed in Assembler.
Three letters, four numbers, enter, three letters, four numbers, enter.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:40:14PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
[cut]

> I still see some disadvantages for laser or BlueTrack based mice:
>
> 1/ They do not work on crystal or clear surfaces
>
> 2/ I find batteries (even rechargable) a PITA :-)
>
> 3/ There are also some security concerns in using wireless for input
> devices but nowadays I think the data flow between sender and receiver
> units can be encrypted

There's no reason that an optical mouse has to be wireless. Similarly,
there's no reason that a wireless mouse has to be optical. I've used
wired (USB) optical mice for ages now and love the fact they they never
get sticky. I find that ball mice gum up with detritus and you need to
give them a good shove to get the ball to move. Optical mice always
respond immediately.

As for not working on clear surfaces, consider yourself lucky. Sun
optical mice (e.g. http://www.memoryxsun.com/3701398.html) require a
specific mousepad with a calibrated grid printed on them. The mouse can
only report its movement relative to this grid (rather than relative to
an arbitrary surface as with modern mice).

--
Paul Saunders

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:06:16 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:40:14PM +0000, Camaleón wrote: [cut]
>>
>> I still see some disadvantages for laser or BlueTrack based mice:
>>
>> 1/ They do not work on crystal or clear surfaces
>>
>> 2/ I find batteries (even rechargable) a PITA :-)
>>
>> 3/ There are also some security concerns in using wireless for input
>> devices but nowadays I think the data flow between sender and receiver
>> units can be encrypted
>
> There's no reason that an optical mouse has to be wireless.

True.

But I was replying to a KS post where he was talking about wireless mouse
with an USB receiver so the three points I mentioned were on that line.

> Similarly, there's no reason that a wireless mouse has to be optical.
> I've used wired (USB) optical mice for ages now and love the fact they
> they never get sticky. I find that ball mice gum up with detritus and
> you need to give them a good shove to get the ball to move. Optical
> mice always respond immediately.

I use alcohol to clean the ball and internal rollers. But I'm afraid
laser based mice get also dirty (bottom surface has also to be cleaned
for fast sliding). But as I said on my previous post to Ron, I can live
with them. What happens is that modern mice are a bit "ostentatious" and
full of buttons (or they're targeted to notebook users and are a bit
small).

Yes, I'm very picky with my input peripherals :-)

> As for not working on clear surfaces, consider yourself lucky. Sun
> optical mice (e.g. http://www.memoryxsun.com/3701398.html) require a
> specific mousepad with a calibrated grid printed on them. The mouse can
> only report its movement relative to this grid (rather than relative to
> an arbitrary surface as with modern mice).

He, he... from what century is that piece of hardware? Nineties?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:32 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> What happens is that modern mice are a bit "ostentatious" and
> full of buttons (or they're targeted to notebook users and are a bit
> small).
>
> Yes, I'm very picky with my input peripherals :-)

+1

> > As for not working on clear surfaces, consider yourself lucky. Sun
> > optical mice (e.g. http://www.memoryxsun.com/3701398.html) require a
> > specific mousepad with a calibrated grid printed on them. The mouse can
> > only report its movement relative to this grid (rather than relative to
> > an arbitrary surface as with modern mice).
>
> He, he... from what century is that piece of hardware? Nineties?

An aesthetic faux pas.