Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Perry Thompson

Default No Display Manager + shutdown/reboot

On 06/07/2011 05:32 AM, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>
>> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
>
> You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.
>
>> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
>> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
>> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.
>
> Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.

I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
three situations.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:06:59 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> On 06/07/2011 05:32 AM, Brian wrote:
>> On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
>>
>> You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.
>>
>>> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made
>>> a custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut
>>> Down" and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.
>>
>> Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.
>>

> I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
> before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
> Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
> three situations.

Not sure if you already tried some of these tips:

Handle acpi event for power button, show Xfce logout options
http://wiki.xfce.org/tips#handle_acpi_event_for_power_button_show_xfce_ logout_options

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/07/11 at 11:06am, Perry Thompson wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 05:32 AM, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
> >
> > You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.
> >
> >> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> >> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> >> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.
> >
> > Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.
> >

> I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
> before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
> Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
> three situations.

"in the sudoers list" is a bit vague. Do you have the ability to run anything with sudo without password (not that I am recommending this at all)?
Does xfce-session-logout know to run the shutdown command with sudo? Perhaps you should modify your custom keyboard shortcut to call sudo xfce4-session-logout instead.

When run from a DM, these programs would have root permissions to shut down and reboot your computer. You need to give those permissions back somehow, and sudo seems the easiest way.

--
Liam

Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/07/11 at 10:32am, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>
> > 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
>
> You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.
>
> > 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> > custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> > and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.
>
> Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.

vigr aside, the sudo group does nothing by default. You don't need to be in it
unless you've uncommented the line in sudoers to allow members of that group to
do as they please. I don't recommend that use (v. little difference between
that and running as root).

--
Liam

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Brian

On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 14:14:06 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:

> vigr aside, the sudo group does nothing by default. You don't need to
> be in it

As I've just discovered. On my Wheezy xfce4 box I'd never got round to
enabling Shutdown and Restart for a user. It turns out installing sudo
is all I have to do. No membership of the sudo group at all, Which is
what I've seen advised. (I've also seen it recommended to be a member of
the powerdev group, but I'm not).

So it's mystifying! All users get to shutdown the machine if sudo is on
the it.

Why don't you need to be in the group sudo?

> unless you've uncommented the line in sudoers to allow members of that
> group to do as they please. I don't recommend that use (v. little
> difference between that and running as root).

The %sudo line in /etc/sudoers is uncommented by default.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Brian

On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 19:57:57 +0100, Brian wrote:

> So it's mystifying! All users get to shutdown the machine if sudo is on
> the it.

Mystery cleared up. I could have been more thorough in what I did and
checked everything. Installing sudo ungreys the buttons in the session
closing dialogue and rebooting or shutting down is permissable for users
in the sudo group or if /etc/sudoers allows it. Otherwise permission is
denied.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Brian

On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 11:06:59 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
> before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
> Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
> three situations.

How about putting

perry ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper

in /etc/sudoers?

You'd better check xfsm-shutdown-helper is in the location given.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Perry Thompson

On 2011年06月07日 19:44, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 11:06:59 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>
>> I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
>> before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
>> Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
>> three situations.
>
> How about putting
>
> perry ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/lib/xfce4/session/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> in /etc/sudoers?
>
> You'd better check xfsm-shutdown-helper is in the location given.

I tried that and still no success. I tried it with my screen name, with
"%users", I tried adding "ALL=(root)" instead of just "ALL=", all of
which I found on websites. None of them worked.

Any ideas why others have had success and not me?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Jimmy Wu

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 13:46, Perry Thompson <rypervenche@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi all. I am using Debian Wheezy with Xfce4. After some testing with
> different DMs, I decided to start X from a tty using "startx". I was
> told in the Debian IRC channel that it works fine by just removing all DMs.
>
> I enjoy using my computer this way, however I am unable to...
>
> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.

Don't know about xfce, but as an alternative, if you have consolekit
installed, then the following commands can be used to shutdown and
reboot without needing root privileges. I forget where I got them
from, but they work for me (I startx with openbox and no DM).

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit"
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.<action>

where <action> is either Stop for shutdown or Restart for a reboot. I
put them in a script and call them from the openbox menu

HTH