Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Jari Fredriksson

Default Problems with cron-apt in Lenny

I maintain several machines with Squeeze and Lenny, and they have
cron-apt running.

The lenny machines report this (via logcheck)

System Events
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release Unable to find
expected entry nonfree/source/Sources in Meta-index file (malformed
Release file?)
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt:
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/Release Unable to find
expected entry nonfree/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file
(malformed Release file?)
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt:
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch
http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/dists/lenny/volatile/Release
Unable to find expected entry nonfree/binary-amd64/Packages in
Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt:

What might be wrong? I just installed cron-apt and let it go.

--

You'll feel much better once you've given up hope.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:16:20 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I maintain several machines with Squeeze and Lenny, and they have
> cron-apt running.
>
> The lenny machines report this (via logcheck)
>
> System Events
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release Unable to find
> expected entry nonfree/source/Sources in Meta-index file (malformed
> Release file?)

(...)

How does your cron-apt sources list file look like? Have you try by
setting another package repository mirrors, different than the current
ones? What does "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" say?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Jari Fredriksson

7.6.2011 16:07, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:16:20 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>
>> I maintain several machines with Squeeze and Lenny, and they have
>> cron-apt running.
>>
>> The lenny machines report this (via logcheck)
>>
>> System Events
>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> Jun 7 04:59:30 www128 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch
>> http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release Unable to find
>> expected entry nonfree/source/Sources in Meta-index file (malformed
>> Release file?)
>
> (...)
>
> How does your cron-apt sources list file look like? Have you try by
> setting another package repository mirrors, different than the current
> ones? What does "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" say?
>
> Greetings,

aptitude update && aptitude upgade works fine (this is lenny, where
aptitude is the better).

The apt.sources looks like

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.6 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 NETINST
Binary-1 20100905-11:18]/ lenny main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.6 _Lenny_ - Official amd64 NETINST
Binary-1 20100905-11:18]/ lenny main

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
contrib non-free
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
contrib non-free

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports lenny-backports main
contrib non-free

You will pioneer the first Martian colony.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 17:00:21 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> 7.6.2011 16:07, Camaleón kirjoitti:

>> How does your cron-apt sources list file look like? Have you try by
>> setting another package repository mirrors, different than the current
>> ones? What does "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" say?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> aptitude update && aptitude upgade works fine (this is lenny, where
> aptitude is the better).

I'm afraid cron-apt uses apt-get by default so I would try to mimic as
much as possible in order to reproduce the failure. Try the above
commands and see what happens.

> The apt.sources looks like

(...)

I see nothing wrong in there. Test with another mirrors, just in case...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Jari Fredriksson

7.6.2011 17:25, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 17:00:21 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>
>> 7.6.2011 16:07, Camaleón kirjoitti:
>
>>> How does your cron-apt sources list file look like? Have you try by
>>> setting another package repository mirrors, different than the current
>>> ones? What does "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" say?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>

>> aptitude update && aptitude upgade works fine (this is lenny, where
>> aptitude is the better).
>
> I'm afraid cron-apt uses apt-get by default so I would try to mimic as
> much as possible in order to reproduce the failure. Try the above
> commands and see what happens.

apt-get works also, as expected. This is strange, and it happens in two
separate machines!

--

I dote on his very absence.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 13:27:46 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> 7.6.2011 17:25, Camaleón kirjoitti:
>> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 17:00:21 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>>
>>> aptitude update && aptitude upgade works fine (this is lenny, where
>>> aptitude is the better).
>>
>> I'm afraid cron-apt uses apt-get by default so I would try to mimic as
>> much as possible in order to reproduce the failure. Try the above
>> commands and see what happens.
>>

> apt-get works also, as expected. This is strange, and it happens in two
> separate machines!

Weird :-?

Does cron-apt log say something relevant? Maybe there is an option to
increase its verbosity or put it into a debug mode.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón