Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Perry Thompson

Default No Display Manager + shutdown/reboot

Hi all. I am using Debian Wheezy with Xfce4. After some testing with
different DMs, I decided to start X from a tty using "startx". I was
told in the Debian IRC channel that it works fine by just removing all DMs.

I enjoy using my computer this way, however I am unable to...

1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.

Is there any way I can have this do what I want while not using a
display manager? Or would I really have to get one? I also tried nodm,
but had the same problems. I would still rather not use a DM if possible.

Please let me know all of my options and if a solution exists for my
problem.

Thank you.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Brian

On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and

You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.

> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.

Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.