Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
William Hopkins

Default How to use ALSA from the kernel?

On 06/07/11 at 01:05am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> after removing all ALSA packages, excepted of libasound2, ALSA is
> broken. I kept libasound2, because it's a dependency for audio apps. If
> needed I could replace it by a dummy package.

What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.

--
Liam

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:38 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/07/11 at 01:05am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > after removing all ALSA packages, excepted of libasound2, ALSA is
> > broken. I kept libasound2, because it's a dependency for audio apps. If
> > needed I could replace it by a dummy package.
> >
> What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.

You have sniped text .

I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
or am I mistaken?

My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.

I can't use 1.0.23, see
http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm

I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.

I build kernel 2.6.39.1 and this kernel comes with ALSA 1.0.24, resp.
HDSPe AIO support.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/07/11 at 02:46am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:38 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> > On 06/07/11 at 01:05am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > after removing all ALSA packages, excepted of libasound2, ALSA is
> > > broken. I kept libasound2, because it's a dependency for audio apps. If
> > > needed I could replace it by a dummy package.
> > >
> > What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.
>
> You have sniped text .

Ayuh.

> I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
> re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
> or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)

> My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
> know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.

Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.

> I can't use 1.0.23, see
> http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm

I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.

> I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.

How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?

--
Liam

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:18 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/07/11 at 02:46am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.
> >
> > You have sniped text .
>
> Ayuh.
>
> > I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
> > re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
> > or am I mistaken?
>
> You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
> You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)
>
> > My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
> > know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.
>
> Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.
>
> > I can't use 1.0.23, see
> > http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm
>
> I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.
>
> > I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.
>
> How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?

The HDSPe AIO card is ONLY supported by 1.0.24, it can't work without
1.0.24!

I try to explain it again, unfortunately my English is broken.

$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Before I build and installed the kernel I removed all ALSA packages
excepted of libasound2 1.0.23-4, a dependency for the Debian audio
packages. I didn't replace it by a dummy package.

I can run jackdmp 1.9.8 from svn (also needed to enable jitter free hw
midi)

$ jackd --sync -Xalsarawmidi -dalsa -r48000 -p1024

without getting an error message, it's the same for

$ jackd --sync -dalsa -r48000 -p1024

but if I run qjackctl I get

03:11:54.885 Patchbay deactivated.
03:11:54.887 Statistics reset.
03:11:54.913 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA
MIDI patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq
failed: Permission denied
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

E.g. no alsaconf.
The "Xilinx RME Hammerfall DSP MADI" is a RME HDSPe AIO, but instead of
showing the name DSP MADI and two MIDI devices for the DSP MADI, there's
no name and only one MIDI device for the first card, if I run jackd,
hence the driver and/or firmware was switched! When the outdated ALSA
from testing completely is installed, jackd's output differs regarding
to the name and the MIDI devices.

# a
a2j alias apt-sortpkgs
atobm
a2j_control alsa_in ar
atop
a2jmidi_bridge alsa_out arch
atopsar
a2jmidid amsynth ardour2
atq
a2p anacron
ardour2-session_exchange.py atrm
a2x analyseplugin arp
aubiocut
ac3dec apm_available arpd
aubionotes
accept applyplugin artscat
aubioonset
accessdb appres artsd
aubiopitch
aclocal apropos artsdsp
aubiotrack
aclocal-1.11 apt-add-repository artsmessage
audacity
aconnectgui apt-cache artsplay
autoconf
acpi apt-cdrom artsrec
autoheader
acpi_available apt-config artsshell
autom4te
acpid apt-extracttemplates artswrapper
automake
acpi_listen apt-ftparchive as
automake-1.11
add-apt-repository apt-get as10k1
autoreconf
addgroup aptitude asciidoc
autoscan
addpart aptitude-create-state-bundle aspell
autoupdate
addr2line aptitude-curses
aspell-autobuildhash awk
add-shell aptitude-run-state-bundle
aspell-import axi-cache
adduser apt-key
asunder
aeolus apt-listchanges
at
agetty apt-mark
atd

# h
h2ph halt hd head helpztags history
horgand hostid html2text hwclock hydrogen
h2xs hash hdparm help hexdump hmac256 host
hostname htop hwinfo

# hwinfo --sound
> hal.1: read hal dataprocess 2654: arguments to dbus_move_error() were
incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))"
failed in file dbus-errors.c line 280.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name
org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
29: PCI 200.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: B35A.MZ+CP9Apr_E
Parent ID: H0_h.9zE8Er2g1ED
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:02:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "Xilinx RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Vendor: pci 0x10ee "Xilinx Corporation"
Device: pci 0x3fc6 "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Revision: 0xd4
Driver: "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Driver Modules: "snd_hdspm"
Memory Range: 0xfdbf0000-0xfdbfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 18 (2402 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v000010EEd00003FC6sv00000000sd00000000bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hdspm is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hdspm"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #11 (PCI bridge)

31: PCI 405.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: wJko.J4wu6rKmng4
Parent ID: qscc.ULOo3yhA66C
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/0000:04:05.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:04:05.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x153b "TERRATEC Electronic GmbH"
SubDevice: pci 0x1130 "EWX 24/96"
Revision: 0x02
Driver: "ICE1712"
Driver Modules: "snd_ice1712"
I/O Ports: 0xbf00-0xbf1f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbe00-0xbe0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbd00-0xbd0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbc00-0xbc3f (rw)
IRQ: 20 (3 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001412d00001712sv0000153Bsd00001130bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_ice1712 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_ice1712"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #23 (PCI bridge)

32: PCI 406.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: +QnG.J4wu6rKmng4
Parent ID: qscc.ULOo3yhA66C
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/0000:04:06.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:04:06.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x153b "TERRATEC Electronic GmbH"
SubDevice: pci 0x1130 "EWX 24/96"
Revision: 0x02
Driver: "ICE1712"
Driver Modules: "snd_ice1712"
I/O Ports: 0xbb00-0xbb1f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xba00-0xba0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xb900-0xb90f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xb800-0xb83f (rw)
IRQ: 21 (3 events)

Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/07/11 at 03:41am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:18 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:

> > > You have sniped text .
> >
> > Ayuh.
> >
> > > I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
> > > re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
> > > or am I mistaken?
> >
> > You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
> > You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)
> >
> > > My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
> > > know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.
> >
> > Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.
> >
> > > I can't use 1.0.23, see
> > > http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm
> >
> > I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.
> >
> > > I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.
> >
> > How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?
>
> The HDSPe AIO card is ONLY supported by 1.0.24, it can't work without
> 1.0.24!

I thought since you had the kernel which has your driver (2.6.39) you could work with 1.0.23. The wiki you list does not specify that the driver will only work with version 1.0.24 of the library and tools. That said, here are two options:

Try to make it work with 1.0.23. Reinstall the packages you removed, reload your kernel and ls /dev/snd/*, check dmesg, possibly modprobe your driver if needed (it's probably snd-hdspm). Then try aplay -l and see if you get anything.

AND/OR

Install alsa 1.0.24 from source. Whether you choose to make a debian package out of it is your prerogative, but if not you may then need various dummy-packages to satisfy dependencies, and upgrading will be somewhat more complicated.

--
Liam

Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 22:09 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/07/11 at 03:41am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > Ayuh.

> > > You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
> > > You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)

> > > Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.

> > > I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.

> > > How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?
> >
> > The HDSPe AIO card is ONLY supported by 1.0.24, it can't work without
> > 1.0.24!
>
> I thought since you had the kernel which has your driver (2.6.39) you could work with 1.0.23. The wiki you list does not specify that the driver will only work with version 1.0.24 of the library and tools. That said, here are two options:
>
> Try to make it work with 1.0.23. Reinstall the packages you removed, reload your kernel and ls /dev/snd/*, check dmesg, possibly modprobe your driver if needed (it's probably snd-hdspm). Then try aplay -l and see if you get anything.

I'll try this later, thank you.

> AND/OR
>
> Install alsa 1.0.24 from source. Whether you choose to make a debian package out of it is your prerogative, but if not you may then need various dummy-packages to satisfy dependencies, and upgrading will be somewhat more complicated.

Only one dummy packages is needed, just for libasound2, there were no
other dependencies. OTOH, I didn't build a dummy package, but installed
my packages with dpkg -i force-overwrite. I can try to do it with a
dummy package.

-- Ralf