Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default PS/2 mouse vs USB mouse

Hi

when using a PS/2 mouse with stable or testing the mouse wheel very
seldom does work, usually it doesn't. For Ubuntu Maverick and Natty it's
the same.

I replaced the mouse with an USB mouse and the mouse wheel seems to work
all the time, tested with Debian testing only. I didn't reboot very
often, just one or two times, but for the PS/2 mouse it never happened,
that randomly the mouse wheel did work for two consecutive sessions.

I guess Debian and Ubuntu only have issues with PS/2 mice.
Is there a way to fix this? I tried to get a USB mouse that really could
replace my PS/2 mouse, but all modern mice seems to be made to get
typist's cramps. So I'll get rid of my new USB mouse if possible and use
my old PS/2 mouth again.

Cheesr!

Ralf

PS: While for Ubuntu Maverick the Internet is still very fast by my
PPPoE connection, for Ubuntu Natty, Debian stable and testing it is in
hardcore slow motion, sometimes I get timeouts.
Older Ubuntu and Debian installs were ok for the Mouse and Internet. I
only kept old Suse 11.2 and there still everything is ok (regarding to
performance Suse always was less good than Debian, but now even Suse is
better). Not to mention the issues with X and monitors. Does Debian drop
valid hardware, that isn't brand new?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Ron Johnson

when using a PS/2 mouse with stable or testing the mouse wheel very
seldom does work, usually it doesn't. For Ubuntu Maverick and Natty it's
the same.

[snip]

Since you didn't tell us what kind of PS/2 mouse, how in Eris' name are
we supposed to help you?

Cheesr!

Bah!!!

Ralf

PS: While for Ubuntu Maverick the Internet is still very fast by my
PPPoE connection, for Ubuntu Natty, Debian stable and testing it is in
hardcore slow motion, sometimes I get timeouts.
Older Ubuntu and Debian installs were ok for the Mouse and Internet. I
only kept old Suse 11.2 and there still everything is ok (regarding to
performance Suse always was less good than Debian, but now even Suse is
better). Not to mention the issues with X and monitors. Does Debian drop
valid hardware, that isn't brand new?

Yes. Abso-fscking-lutely!!!!

corrupt."

Archive: 4DED602A.4050504@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED602A.4050504@cox.net

Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 18:18 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 06:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Since you didn't tell us what kind of PS/2 mouse, how in Eris' name are
> we supposed to help you?

Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Ron Johnson

Since you didn't tell us what kind of PS/2 mouse, how in Eris' name are
we supposed to help you?

Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A

Is that a MS two-button mouse?

corrupt."

Archive: 4DED7C5E.4050604@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED7C5E.4050604@cox.net

Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Doug

when using a PS/2 mouse with stable or testing the mouse wheel very
seldom does work, usually it doesn't. For Ubuntu Maverick and Natty it's
the same.

I replaced the mouse with an USB mouse and the mouse wheel seems to work
all the time, tested with Debian testing only. I didn't reboot very
often, just one or two times, but for the PS/2 mouse it never happened,
that randomly the mouse wheel did work for two consecutive sessions.

I guess Debian and Ubuntu only have issues with PS/2 mice.
Is there a way to fix this? I tried to get a USB mouse that really could
replace my PS/2 mouse, but all modern mice seems to be made to get
typist's cramps. So I'll get rid of my new USB mouse if possible and use
my old PS/2 mouth again.

Cheesr!

Ralf

There are a whole slew of ps2 to usb adapters on the internet. Be careful
that the one you get is for a mouse, not a keyboard. And in my experience,
not all combinations of mouse/adapter/computer work, but with some
futzing (maybe also try different usb ports?) you may be in luck.
ymmv! --doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4DED8000.6010606@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED8000.6010606@optonline.net

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 20:18 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 07:33 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 18:18 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 06/06/2011 06:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Since you didn't tell us what kind of PS/2 mouse, how in Eris' name are
> >> we supposed to help you?
> >
> > Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A
> >

> Is that a MS two-button mouse?

The Wheel can be used as button too. Microsoft? I dunno, at least
there's no Microsoft logo or name written on the mouse.

Knowingly I never owned anything from Microsoft, but the mouse is
second-hand, perhaps it's a Microsoft mouse.

It worked for 64 Studio/Debian Etch and Lenny. It's not broken, it still
works with an old Suse install.

-- Ralf

PS: Until now completely no issues for the USB mouse. FWIW the mouse
wheel for the PS/2 mouse already was broken for the clean Debian stable
install. It isn't related to self-build kernels etc..

Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:33 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 07:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > when using a PS/2 mouse with stable or testing the mouse wheel very
> > seldom does work, usually it doesn't. For Ubuntu Maverick and Natty it's
> > the same.
> >
> > I replaced the mouse with an USB mouse and the mouse wheel seems to work
> > all the time, tested with Debian testing only. I didn't reboot very
> > often, just one or two times, but for the PS/2 mouse it never happened,
> > that randomly the mouse wheel did work for two consecutive sessions.
> >
> > I guess Debian and Ubuntu only have issues with PS/2 mice.
> > Is there a way to fix this? I tried to get a USB mouse that really could
> > replace my PS/2 mouse, but all modern mice seems to be made to get
> > typist's cramps. So I'll get rid of my new USB mouse if possible and use
> > my old PS/2 mouth again.
> >
> > Cheesr!
> >
> > Ralf
> >
> There are a whole slew of ps2 to usb adapters on the internet. Be careful
> that the one you get is for a mouse, not a keyboard. And in my experience,
> not all combinations of mouse/adapter/computer work, but with some
> futzing (maybe also try different usb ports?) you may be in luck.
> ymmv! --doug

That's a good idea, thank you. Anyway a pity that something that worked
for years, now is dropped.

-- Ralf

Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Ron Johnson

Since you didn't tell us what kind of PS/2 mouse, how in Eris' name are
we supposed to help you?

Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A

Is that a MS two-button mouse?

The Wheel can be used as button too. Microsoft? I dunno, at least
there's no Microsoft logo or name written on the mouse.

Knowingly I never owned anything from Microsoft, but the mouse is
second-hand, perhaps it's a Microsoft mouse.

Don't knock it. They make *great* optical mice.

It worked for 64 Studio/Debian Etch and Lenny. It's not broken, it still
works with an old Suse install.

Does /dev/psaux exist? Do you boot into [xkg]dm or the console? Is gpm
installed?

-- Ralf

PS: Until now completely no issues for the USB mouse. FWIW the mouse
wheel for the PS/2 mouse already was broken for the clean Debian stable
install. It isn't related to self-build kernels etc..

There are enough people still using PS/2 mice that the Debian-install
people wouldn't take out the PS/2 driver.

Since you eviscerated ALSA, I wouldn't be surprised if you screwed up
something regarding the mouse, too.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DED8B9C.5020707@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED8B9C.5020707@cox.net

Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 08:52 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> Is that a MS two-button mouse?
> >
> > The Wheel can be used as button too. Microsoft? I dunno, at least
> > there's no Microsoft logo or name written on the mouse.
> >
> > Knowingly I never owned anything from Microsoft, but the mouse is
> > second-hand, perhaps it's a Microsoft mouse.
> >

> Don't knock it. They make *great* optical mice.
>
> > It worked for 64 Studio/Debian Etch and Lenny. It's not broken, it still
> > works with an old Suse install.
> >

> Does /dev/psaux exist? Do you boot into [xkg]dm or the console? Is gpm
> installed?
>
> > -- Ralf
> >
> > PS: Until now completely no issues for the USB mouse. FWIW the mouse
> > wheel for the PS/2 mouse already was broken for the clean Debian stable
> > install. It isn't related to self-build kernels etc..
> >

> There are enough people still using PS/2 mice that the Debian-install
> people wouldn't take out the PS/2 driver.
>
> Since you eviscerated ALSA, I wouldn't be surprised if you screwed up
> something regarding the mouse, too.

I'll take a look at /dev/psaux etc. later.

No, I didn't break my system. As mentioned before, for Debian stable,
Debian testing, Ubuntu Maverick and Ubuntu Natty the mouse wheel doesn't
work for the clean installs.

How should I break mouse wheel support, when I break ALSA? I try to get
rid of Debian's outdated version, because I need the current version.
FWIW I'm making backups before I do such editing, anyway, even if I
should have broken everything now, the mouse wheel never worked before.

Thank you

Ralf

PS: I'll take a look at Microsoft mice too. But if possible I would
prefer not to support Microsoft and Apple.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 08:52 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> Is that a MS two-button mouse?
> >
> > The Wheel can be used as button too. Microsoft? I dunno, at least
> > there's no Microsoft logo or name written on the mouse.
> >
> > Knowingly I never owned anything from Microsoft, but the mouse is
> > second-hand, perhaps it's a Microsoft mouse.
> >

> Don't knock it. They make *great* optical mice.
>
> > It worked for 64 Studio/Debian Etch and Lenny. It's not broken, it still
> > works with an old Suse install.
> >

> Does /dev/psaux exist? Do you boot into [xkg]dm or the console? Is gpm
> installed?

Before I go to sleep.

GDM
I'm using a xorg.conf and tested it with and without mouse setings and
the xorg-mouse'n'keyboard-packages installed, I also edited, i guess it
was HAL?! ... I need to report later, I'm half asleep.

root@debian:/home/spinymouse# ls /dev/p*
/dev/parport0 /dev/port /dev/ppp /dev/psaux /dev/ptmx

/dev/pts:
0 ptmx

-- Ralf