Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Re (4): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?

In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
valid html text. The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.

Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links" and you will see three links
containing "file:*Category2". Probably the third non-blank line.
Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ? It won't open here.
But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
Copying and pasting should not be necessary. It should open with a mouse
click!

> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
> inside Iceweasel?

The link file:Category2.html works for NO. With NO not having a
hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
opens file:Category2.html, no problem. Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
should work for Iceweasel.

OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Could it be that Native Oberon works differently than Linux + FF do?

By the way, "Native Oberon" the Niklaus Wirth OS?

OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

Nope. Just your understanding.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DED56A5.60601@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED56A5.60601@cox.net

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Axel Freyn

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 01:12:46PM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
> > Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text. The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links" and you will see three links
> containing "file:*Category2". Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ? It won't open here.
> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
> Copying and pasting should not be necessary. It should open with a mouse
> click!
>
> > That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
> > inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO. With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem. Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
> should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

As Camaleon already said: it's a security question. In general, you do
not want that a remote website can access your local files. However, you
can make Iceweasel work:
- open "about:config" in Iceweasel
- accept that you know what you're doing (and that you will be carefull)
- search for "security.checkloaduri" and set it to "false"
(on newer iceweasel's, that's called
"security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy"
Now, Iceweasel should accept your link. (I have no webserver at hand, so
I haven't tested...)
see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don't_work

But: The serious security flaw which I see here is the following: This
allows all remote site which you're looking at to use "file:///" in
order to acces your local files. That's true also for javascript. So, as
soon as you set "security.checkloaduri=true", a website you're visiting
could copy all files from your local disk which you're allowed to read
(so /etc/shadow would be inaccessible (except you run iceweasel as root
:-)), but all files in /home/user kann be copied).

Do you know how that problem is solved in Native Oberon?

Axel

Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-06-06, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text. The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links" and you will see three links
> containing "file:*Category2". Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ? It won't open here.
> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
> Copying and pasting should not be necessary. It should open with a mouse
> click!
>
>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>> inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO. With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem. Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
> should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.

The URL file:///~/Category2.html cannot be loaded by iceweasel in my
case (iceweasel 4 on squeeze). I only see the message "File not found
... Iceweasel can't find the file at /~/Category2.html." Interestingly,
lynx opens the file without grumbling, but then lynx will open just
about anything.

There is the separate issue of iceweasel opening file:// links from
http:// documents. That is disabled by default for security reasons, but
can be enabled by toggling the value of the "security.checkloaduri"
configuration preference. Go to the special URL "about:config" to change
it if you wish.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 07/06/11 19:09, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-06-06, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>>
>> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
>> valid html text. The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>>
>> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links" and you will see three links
>> containing "file:*Category2". Probably the third non-blank line.
>> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ? It won't open here.
>> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
>> Copying and pasting should not be necessary. It should open with a mouse
>> click!
>>
>>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>>> inside Iceweasel?
>>
>> The link file:Category2.html works for NO. With NO not having a
>> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
>> opens file:Category2.html, no problem. Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
>> should work for Iceweasel.
>>
>> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!
>>
>> Thanks, ... Peter E.
>>

> The URL file:///~/Category2.html cannot be loaded by iceweasel in my
> case (iceweasel 4 on squeeze). I only see the message "File not found
> ... Iceweasel can't find the file at /~/Category2.html." Interestingly,
> lynx opens the file without grumbling, but then lynx will open just
> about anything.
>
> There is the separate issue of iceweasel opening file:// links from
> http:// documents. That is disabled by default for security reasons, but
> can be enabled by toggling the value of the "security.checkloaduri"
> configuration preference. Go to the special URL "about:config" to change
> it if you wish.

I had the same experience as Liam.
Just to try and help separate problems of incorrect URIs from dead links....

These are the links that don't work (for one reason or another):-
http://www.sanjuanconservation.org/
http://www.islandstrust.bc.ca/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moresby_Island_(Gulf_Islands)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Douglas-fir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltspring_Island
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/software/
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/archive/565.txt
http://www.paperfolding.com/textonly/
file://localhost/home/peter/Category2.xhtml
file:///~/Category2.html
file://Category2.html

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:12:46 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text. The example you gave in your earlier reply will be
> fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links" and you will see three
> links containing "file:*Category2". Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ? It won't open
> here. But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI
> window. Copying and pasting should not be necessary. It should open
> with a mouse click!

No, it shouldn't :-)

Okay, I now see what you are trying to go but as I told you earlier, it
poses a security risk to go from remote (from your Internet hosted site)
to local (to your home dir). You can do that from local (from your local
hosted site) to local (to a local file).

>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>> inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO. With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem. Analogously,
> file:///~/Category2.html should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

Not a fault but a security measure. I think it can be tweaked (from
"about:config"), but not sure at how level.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_do_not_work

Greetings,

--
Camaleón