Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Re (3): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:13:58 +0000 (UTC)
> ... that should work from local ...

It does; and my interest is to have a menu of frequently used files and
links ... on a Web server.

> I'm afraid that for security reasons it is blocked from remote sites.

I don't understand. A URI is acceptable in the URI window after being
typed or pasted there. Why would it be unacceptable in the display buffer?
Both locations are on the local machine.

As I understand, access to a file is determined by checking the identity
of a requester against permissions on the file. The location from which
the requester retrieved the name, shouldn't be relevant.

This mechanism works as I want in Native Oberon. Isn't the failure in
Iceweasel just a failure in design or implementation?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM

From: William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 14:21:08 -0400
> Since the file protocol method already specifies path-based navigation, what is the benefit?

There is a menu of frequently used files and links on my Web server.
Update that one text. Access it from any machine at any location.

> Also, as another poster mentioned, the file URI syntax is not firefox-specific. You'd have to have it changed at a higher level such as the W3C

For this I do not want to change any protocol. Merely to have Iceweasel
accept the URI.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca