Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Camaleón

Default Re (2): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:58:42 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:48:05 +0000 (UTC)
>> You mean you want the browser automatically jumps to "file://localhost/
>> home/peter/blah.html" when it cannot reach
>> "http://localhost/home/peter/ blah.html"?
>
> Oops. An error in my question. Should have been this.
>
> Suppose there is a Web page containing a link anchored at either
> file://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or file:///home/peter/blah.html.
> Seems reasonable and straightforward for this method of opening a local
> file to work as well. Does anyone have a helpful pertinent idea before
> a wish report is submitted?

Ah, okay :-)

If I correctly understood what you mean, that should work from local but
I'm afraid that for security reasons it is blocked from remote sites.

Look, if you create a small local html file with this content:

<head>
</head>

And click on the link, it loads the selected file (the uri path needs to
be adjusted, of course).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:48:05 +0000 (UTC)
> You mean you want the browser automatically jumps to "file://localhost/
> home/peter/blah.html" when it cannot reach "http://localhost/home/peter/
> blah.html"?

Oops. An error in my question. Should have been this.

Suppose there is a Web page containing a link anchored at either
file://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or file:///home/peter/blah.html.
Seems reasonable and straightforward for this method of opening a local
file to work as well. Does anyone have a helpful pertinent idea before
a wish report is submitted?

> I prefer to get an error but it should not be very difficult to implement
> a kind of "protocol manager" extension to instruct Firefox/Iceweasel to
> try with another protocol when "http://" returns "host not found".

Sorry, my use of "http" rather than "file" was absolutely misleading.
I have no interest in automatic switching of protocols.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/06/11 at 09:58am, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:48:05 +0000 (UTC)
> > You mean you want the browser automatically jumps to "file://localhost/
> > home/peter/blah.html" when it cannot reach "http://localhost/home/peter/
> > blah.html"?
>
> Oops. An error in my question. Should have been this.
>
> Suppose there is a Web page containing a link anchored at either
> file://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or file:///home/peter/blah.html.
> Seems reasonable and straightforward for this method of opening a local
> file to work as well. Does anyone have a helpful pertinent idea before
> a wish report is submitted?
Since the file protocol method already specifies path-based navigation, what is the benefit?
You can already access the file with file:///home/peter/blah.html as you mentioned.

Also, as another poster mentioned, the file URI syntax is not firefox-specific. You'd have to have it changed at a higher level such as the W3C

--
Lia

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Eduardo,

From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 09:32:35 -0300
> Probably because ~ is not a magical token in the Linux kernel. Firefox
> is just trying to open a file "/~/Category2.html", a file in a
> directory literally called "~" under root.
>
> Several programs (notably the shell) take "~" to mean the user's home
> directly, and convert that to the actual file path before opening it.

I hadn't thought about that properly.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca