Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
"Carl Fink"

Default Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On Mon, June 6, 2011 1:27 pm, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> There is a third possibility. Suppose there is a Web page containing
> a link anchored at either http://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or
> http:///home/peter/blah.html. Seems reasonable and straightforward
> for this method of opening a local file to work as well. Does
> anyone have a helpful pertinent idea before a wish report is submitted?

The first is a valid URL now, if you have a web server on your local box.
The second is not valid under the definition of URLs. You wouldn't file a
wish request with Debian or Mozilla, but with the W3C since you're
suggesting changing an international standard.
--
Carl Fink carl@finknetwork.com

Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:27:41 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> Iceweasel 3.5.16 is working in Squeeze here. Using the menue, File >
> Open File, it opens /home/peter/blah.html. The URI displayed is
> "file:///home/peter/blah.html". Alternatively, the file can be opened
> by typing or pasting that URI into the window.
>
> There is a third possibility. Suppose there is a Web page containing a
> link anchored at either http://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or
> http:///home/peter/blah.html. Seems reasonable and straightforward for
> this method of opening a local file to work as well. Does anyone have a
> helpful pertinent idea before a wish report is submitted?

You mean you want the browser automatically jumps to "file://localhost/
home/peter/blah.html" when it cannot reach "http://localhost/home/peter/
blah.html"?

I prefer to get an error but it should not be very difficult to implement
a kind of "protocol manager" extension to instruct Firefox/Iceweasel to
try with another protocol when "http://" returns "host not found".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Erwan David

On 06/06/11 19:27, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Iceweasel 3.5.16 is working in Squeeze here. Using the menue,
> File > Open File, it opens /home/peter/blah.html. The URI
> displayed is "file:///home/peter/blah.html". Alternatively,
> the file can be opened by typing or pasting that URI into the
> window.
>
> There is a third possibility. Suppose there is a Web page containing
> a link anchored at either http://localhost/home/peter/blah.html or
> http:///home/peter/blah.html. Seems reasonable and straightforward
> for this method of opening a local file to work as well. Does
> anyone have a helpful pertinent idea before a wish report is submitted?
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.

There is no reason that http://toto gives the /toto file. And there are
many reasons that it must not give it.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 AM

* From: "Carl Fink" <carl@finknetwork.com>
* Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:30:21 -0400
> The first is a valid URL now, if you have a web server on your local box.
> The second is not valid under the definition of URLs.

My message at Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:58:42 -0800 corrected the URI to
file://localhost/home/peter/blah.html and file:///home/peter/blah.html.

According to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1738 , Uniform Resource Locators (URL),
"A file URL takes the form:
file://<host>/<path>
As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
string; ..."

Unless I've missed something in a later RFC my corrected URIs are correct.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI