FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Chris Brennan
 
Default hard drive configuration

* prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> [2011-06-06 09:23:08 -0700]:

> in the past we've had two partitions:
> /
> /data
> into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
> appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
> when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
> copying to do.
>
> now we've been experimenting with xfs on which there will be openvs
> containers to run the web/mail servers. containers go into /var/lib/vz
> and we're thinking of keeping them in a separate partition
> too. additionally, we've split things up so there are partitions for
> /usr /usr/local /tmp /home and so on.
>
> so i'm musing over whether to have a /data partition as before - it
> doesn't seem to make quite the same sense at this stage. however, when
> it comes time to change to the next debian, i keep thinking having the
> data separate may be an advantage.
>
> do people have favorite partitioning schemes with appropriate
> justifications for them?

In the past, I've done something simmilar, especially on multi-drive
systems. I will usuaully have root (/) on a small raid1 mirror (hard or
soft, your choice.) And then do soemthing simmilar w/ /data, whereas
/data is running an LVM ontop of the RAID1 array for dynamic partitions.

When in doubt, install the system entirely to (/) and then copy over any
persistant data to newly created partitions with in the LVM group.
Recently, I put together a squeeze system running XFS, this is my layout:

chris@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$ sudo pvs; sudo vgs; sudo lvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda2 swap lvm2 a- 11.17g 0
/dev/sda4 tank lvm2 a- 41.18g 3.18g
/dev/sdb1 swap lvm2 a- 11.17g 0
/dev/sdb2 tank lvm2 a- 63.37g 13.37g
/dev/sdc1 tank lvm2 a- 149.05g 149.05g
/dev/sdd1 tank lvm2 a- 232.88g 232.88g
/dev/sde1 tank lvm2 a- 465.76g 465.76g
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
swap 2 1 0 wz--n- 22.34g 0
tank 5 7 0 wz--n- 952.23g 864.23g
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy% Convert
swap swap -wi-ao 22.34g
distfiles tank -wi-a- 10.00g
home tank -wi-ao 50.00g
opt tank -wi-ao 5.00g
portage tank -wi-a- 1.00g
tmp tank -wi-ao 2.00g
usr tank -wi-ao 10.00g
var tank -wi-ao 10.00g
chris@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$ mount
/dev/sda3 on / type xfs (rw)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-home on /home type xfs (rw,grpquota,usrquota)
/dev/mapper/tank-opt on /opt type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-tmp on /tmp type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-usr on /usr type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/tank-var on /var type xfs (rw)
chris@leviathan.xaerolimit.net:~$

--
> A: Yes.
> >Q: Are you sure?
> >>A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> >>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110606164536.GC21989@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110606164536.GC21989@gmail.com
 
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default hard drive configuration

On 06/06/2011 11:23 AM, prad wrote:

in the past we've had two partitions:
/
/data
into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
copying to do.

now we've been experimenting with xfs on which there will be openvs
containers to run the web/mail servers. containers go into /var/lib/vz
and we're thinking of keeping them in a separate partition
too. additionally, we've split things up so there are partitions for
/usr /usr/local /tmp /home and so on.

so i'm musing over whether to have a /data partition as before - it
doesn't seem to make quite the same sense at this stage. however, when
it comes time to change to the next debian, i keep thinking having the
data separate may be an advantage.

do people have favorite partitioning schemes with appropriate
justifications for them?



I do something very similar. Note that /Data is on an LV but /home is
it's own partition.


$ pydf
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdh5 92G 8748M 78G 9.3 [...] /
/dev/mapper~vg-data_lv 5587G 2937G 2650G 52.6 [##.] /Data
/dev/sdh1 93M 1025k 92M 1.1 [...] /dos
/dev/sdh4 480G 22G 433G 4.7 [...] /home
encfs 480G 22G 433G 4.7 [...] /home/ron/crypt


--
"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
corrupt."
Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DED0DA1.2030703@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DED0DA1.2030703@cox.net
 
Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Lu, 06 iun 11, 09:23:08, prad wrote:
> in the past we've had two partitions:
> /
> /data
> into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
> appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
> when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
> copying to do.

I like an approach closer to the FHS:

/
/home
/home/$user/big

for single user or

/
/home
/media/big -> /home/$user1/big
/media/big -> /home/$user2/big

for more users with shared data. /home is big enough to hold all user
configs and documents, while big is for big files like photos, music,
movies, etc.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 21:49 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> for single user or
>
> /
> /home
> /media/big -> /home/$user1/big
> /media/big -> /home/$user2/big

For a single user I switched from / + /home to / only.
For special tasks I add e.g. /music_productions to /mnt or /home.

The advantage to have / only, including /home is, that you don't need
think that much about allocation of free space. You anyway can do
separated backups. And having tons of individual mounted directories
won't speed up anything or won't have any other advantage. It might be
different for servers or what ever, but for a single user?

2 cents


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1307733109.13487.310.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1307733109.13487.310.camel@debian
 
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Vi, 10 iun 11, 21:11:49, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> The advantage to have / only, including /home is, that you don't need
> think that much about allocation of free space. You anyway can do
> separated backups. And having tons of individual mounted directories
> won't speed up anything or won't have any other advantage. It might be
> different for servers or what ever, but for a single user?

It's very convenient for new/re-installs, or if you want to share /home
(i.e. between a sid and a stable install)

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 00:54 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 10 iun 11, 21:11:49, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > The advantage to have / only, including /home is, that you don't need
> > think that much about allocation of free space. You anyway can do
> > separated backups. And having tons of individual mounted directories
> > won't speed up anything or won't have any other advantage. It might be
> > different for servers or what ever, but for a single user?
>
> It's very convenient for new/re-installs, or if you want to share /home
> (i.e. between a sid and a stable install)

For a reinstall it's also ok to backup home and restore it later, but
ok, for usage with two different installs this is an advantage, OTOH it
contains a risk.

Regards,

Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1307745380.13487.390.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1307745380.13487.390.camel@debian
 
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Freeman
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:23:08AM -0700, prad wrote:
> in the past we've had two partitions:
> /
> /data
> into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
> appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
> when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
> copying to do.
>
> now we've been experimenting with xfs on which there will be openvs
> containers to run the web/mail servers. containers go into /var/lib/vz
> and we're thinking of keeping them in a separate partition
> too. additionally, we've split things up so there are partitions for
> /usr /usr/local /tmp /home and so on.
>
> so i'm musing over whether to have a /data partition as before - it
> doesn't seem to make quite the same sense at this stage. however, when
> it comes time to change to the next debian, i keep thinking having the
> data separate may be an advantage.
>
> do people have favorite partitioning schemes with appropriate
> justifications for them?
>

I take it to the extreme.

/home includes a lot of potentially obsolete or wrong configs during a move
to a new system. And there can still be important configs and tweaks in
/etc and /usr. And I have lot so data in srv.

So I break it up into 7 or 8 partitions.

Extra advantages:

1. easily staggered backups according to priorities

2. quick disk checks at boot. Each partition is set to a disk check
interval with a unique prime number so partition checks rarely overlap.

The disadvantage is wasted space, since each partition has some expansion
room that equals lost contiguous bulk space. (Reading up on LVM's is on my
todo list.)

These are about to burst because I am downloading big files. sda1, 2 & 4 are
primaries. 3 is the extended.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 3.3G 2.6G 475M 85% /
tmpfs 505M 0 505M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 504M 228K 504M 1% /dev
tmpfs 505M 0 505M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2 77M 46M 27M 64% /boot
/dev/sda6 2.9G 2.7G 118M 96% /usr
/dev/sda7 4.1G 3.3G 625M 85% /usr/share
/dev/sda8 9.2G 7.8G 900M 90% /home
/dev/sda11 2.2G 1.7G 363M 83% /var
/dev/sda12 4.9G 2.8G 1.9G 60% /srv
/dev/sda10 1.6G 104K 1.5G 1% /tmp
/dev/sda4 65G 65G 253M 100% /mnt/Library
/dev/sda1 18G 17G 400M 98% /mnt/XP

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110610232832.GA5532@Europa.office">http://lists.debian.org/20110610232832.GA5532@Europa.office
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Stan Hoeppner
 
Default hard drive configuration

On 6/10/2011 2:11 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 21:49 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> for single user or
>>
>> /
>> /home
>> /media/big -> /home/$user1/big
>> /media/big -> /home/$user2/big
>
> For a single user I switched from / + /home to / only.
> For special tasks I add e.g. /music_productions to /mnt or /home.
>
> The advantage to have / only, including /home is, that you don't need
> think that much about allocation of free space. You anyway can do
> separated backups. And having tons of individual mounted directories
> won't speed up anything or won't have any other advantage. It might be
> different for servers or what ever, but for a single user?

Always have a /boot partition with kernel file etc so you can still boot
the machine if you roast your / filesystem. Sure, live CDs are handy,
but it's more handy if you can boot to a prompt and troubleshoot without
inserting a CD.

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DF332BE.10008@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF332BE.10008@hardwarefreak.com
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default hard drive configuration

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 04:17 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 2:11 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 21:49 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >> for single user or
> >>
> >> /
> >> /home
> >> /media/big -> /home/$user1/big
> >> /media/big -> /home/$user2/big
> >
> > For a single user I switched from / + /home to / only.
> > For special tasks I add e.g. /music_productions to /mnt or /home.
> >
> > The advantage to have / only, including /home is, that you don't need
> > think that much about allocation of free space. You anyway can do
> > separated backups. And having tons of individual mounted directories
> > won't speed up anything or won't have any other advantage. It might be
> > different for servers or what ever, but for a single user?
>
> Always have a /boot partition with kernel file etc so you can still boot
> the machine if you roast your / filesystem. Sure, live CDs are handy,
> but it's more handy if you can boot to a prompt and troubleshoot without
> inserting a CD.

Plausible. I've got a multi-boot, so if one Linux fails, I can boot
another to repair it. I don't like to insert a CD either .

Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1307784157.2378.75.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1307784157.2378.75.camel@debian
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default hard drive configuration

On 06/11/2011 04:22 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
[snip]


I don't like to insert a CD either .



I can't tell if you're telling a joke or being eccentric.

--
"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
corrupt."
Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DF33A74.9040000@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF33A74.9040000@cox.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org