Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Matt

Default Debian Questions on apt-get

I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
Giving Debian a whirl now.

Installed Debian on a 1U box. Used a 1TB drive and EXT4. Linux
debian 2.6.32-5-amd64

root@debian:~# df -h
/dev/sda1 916G 661M 868G 1% /
tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 493M 112K 493M 1% /dev
tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /dev/shm

Unchecked all options when installing since I wanted only essentials
since this will be a rack mount server. After I installed I found ssh
was not installed.

In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:

yum update

or:

yum install package_name

To find a package I also frequently do something like this:

yum list available |grep abr_package_name

To get ssh going I finally did this from console:

apt-get install openssh-server

It demanded I plug the USB CD-ROM back in. Now I have SSH running and
can eliminate the keyboard and monitor.

After getting ssh installed I edited /etc/apt/sources.list and
commented out the CD to get it to quit asking for the USB drive which
will not remain on the system.

Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually
get offered a good number of patches etc. When I do 'apt-get update'
I seem to get nothing.

So are there really no patches available or am I doing something
wrong? How do I get it too download and install new packages with
apt-get or whatever rather then using the CD?

Is there a FAQ or something out there for users coming from CentOS to Debian?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Darac Marjal

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:03:36AM -0500, Matt wrote:
> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> Giving Debian a whirl now.

[cut]

> yum update

This becomes "apt-get update" in debian.

> or:
>
> yum install package_name

apt-get install package_name

> To find a package I also frequently do something like this:
>
> yum list available |grep abr_package_name

This is either "apt-cache search abr_package_name" to look for
prospective packages or "dpkg -l abr_package_name" to show the state of
packages on your system.

[cut]

> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually
> get offered a good number of patches etc. When I do 'apt-get update'
> I seem to get nothing.

Is your sources.list now empty? Having commented out the CD-ROM, you may
need to uncomment one of the other 'deb' lines there. You probably want
something of the form:

deb http://http.XX.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib

(where XX is your country code)

> So are there really no patches available or am I doing something
> wrong? How do I get it too download and install new packages with
> apt-get or whatever rather then using the CD?

The other alternative is that you only have something like the above in
your sources.list.

Debian stable is, as it says, in a stable state. That is, the operating
system is released and then will remain in a frozen state until a so
called 'point release' (like a service pack).

If you want regular updates, you should look into either Debian's
'stable-updates' service[1] or switch to the testing distribution.
Testing consists of a fairly stable system, but a moving target. It is
strongly recommended that a server runs stable software, of course.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates

Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Tom Grace

On 06/06/2011 05:15 PM, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:03:36AM -0500, Matt wrote:
>> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually
>> get offered a good number of patches etc. When I do 'apt-get update'
>> I seem to get nothing.
>
> Is your sources.list now empty?

Or did you install from a netinstall CD ? That'll pull the latest
updates during the install process itself.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:03:36 -0500, Matt wrote:

> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert. Giving
> Debian a whirl now.

(...)

> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually get
> offered a good number of patches etc. When I do 'apt-get update' I seem
> to get nothing.
>
> So are there really no patches available or am I doing something wrong?
> How do I get it too download and install new packages with apt-get or
> whatever rather then using the CD?

I think you are looking for "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" but you
first have to configure your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to point to the
right repositories based on your preferences.

http://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

> Is there a FAQ or something out there for users coming from CentOS to
> Debian?

When I migrated from openSUSE I found very useful this "Reference Card"
for a quick start:

http://tangosoft.com/refcard/

(hum... it is not updated, still for lenny)

And of course, the main docs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/index.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Lisi

On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> Giving Debian a whirl now.

Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain. :-(

[snip]
> In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:
>
> yum update

There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
apt-get update. Yum update, as you say, applies patches. Apt-get update
just updates the database of packages on your computer. (I think that yum
simply doesn't do this at all.) The equivalent of yum update is apt-get
full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you won't get
anything new. That will apply patches.

> yum install package_name
>
> To find a package I also frequently do something like this:
>
> yum list available |grep abr_package_name

apt-cache search or aptitude search. After updating your database, of
course!!

> To get ssh going I finally did this from console:
>
> apt-get install openssh-server
>
> It demanded I plug the USB CD-ROM back in. Now I have SSH running and
> can eliminate the keyboard and monitor.
>
> After getting ssh installed I edited /etc/apt/sources.list and
> commented out the CD to get it to quit asking for the USB drive which
> will not remain on the system.
>
> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually
> get offered a good number of patches etc. When I do 'apt-get update'
> I seem to get nothing.

See above.

> So are there really no patches available or am I doing something
> wrong? How do I get it too download and install new packages with
> apt-get or whatever rather then using the CD?

Again, see above!

> Is there a FAQ or something out there for users coming from CentOS to
> Debian?

I couldn't find one in the opposite direction. :-( I just had to read up
about yum and work out the differences for myself. I fear that I gave up
rather soon. Running Fedora was just too much like trying to wade through
treacle. Especially as the book I had bought from Fedora documentation told
me zilch about the system, but explained in detail how to use OpenOffice.org.

Lisi

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/06/11 at 06:52pm, Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
> > I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> > Giving Debian a whirl now.
>
> Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain. :-(
>
> [snip]
> > In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:
> >
> > yum update
>
> There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
> apt-get update. Yum update, as you say, applies patches. Apt-get update
> just updates the database of packages on your computer. (I think that yum
> simply doesn't do this at all.) The equivalent of yum update is apt-get
> full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you won't get
> anything new. That will apply patches.

Incorrect, yum installs full packages and is indeed quite similar to apt.
I'm also not familiar with the command `apt-get full-upgrade`.

The reason apt is not showing any 'patches' is because you must have the latest version of all your software, or apt is not configured correctly.

--
Liam

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Lisi

On Monday 06 June 2011 19:27:24 William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/06/11 at 06:52pm, Lisi wrote:
> > On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
> > > I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> > > Giving Debian a whirl now.
> >
> > Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain.
> > :-(
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:
> > >
> > > yum update
> >
> > There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
> > apt-get update. Yum update, as you say, applies patches. Apt-get update
> > just updates the database of packages on your computer. (I think that
> > yum simply doesn't do this at all.) The equivalent of yum update is
> > apt-get full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you
> > won't get anything new. That will apply patches.
>
> Incorrect, yum installs full packages and is indeed quite similar to apt.
> I'm also not familiar with the command `apt-get full-upgrade`.

It is you who are incorrect, I'm afraid. I used the term "patches" for yum
because that is what the OP had said. I have no desire to correct him on yum
since he so obviously knows so much more about it than I do. But the fact
remains that yum update installs things and apt-get update simply updates the
database. This caused me considerable confusion. I suggest that you check
this before telling me that I am incorrect in believing it.

The fact that you are unfamiliar with apt-get update is not strictly relevant
here, though if someone who is familiar with it wishes to correct me, I shall
be happy to listen. I use aptitude not apt and there are some differences.
This may be one such.

Lisi

Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Matt

> remains that yum update installs things and apt-get update simply updates the
> database. *This caused me considerable confusion. *I suggest that you check
> this before telling me that I am incorrect in believing it.

Doing:

yum update

Causes yum to check all installed packages including kernel and if
there not up too date offer to download all updates.

I gather in the apt-get world the equivalent is:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

I think anyway? Being used to yum I like there way better. ;-)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Lisi

On Monday 06 June 2011 20:39:40 Matt wrote:
> I gather in the apt-get world the equivalent is:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade

Yes - but certainly in aptitude (I am more familiar with aptitude than with
apt) it is now recommended to use either aptitude safe-upgrade or aptitude
full-upgrade depending on which you want. If I have understood yum correctly
(and, indeed, I may not have!) aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade more
closely resembles yum update than aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade.

I think that there is a different mind-set needed for yum and apt. Once one's
brain is tuned to one it requires a certain amount of mental agility to
switch!

In my few attempts so far to use yum, my mental agility has been lacking and I
have returned to the familiar with a sigh of relief!

Lisi

Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Tom H

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:03:36AM -0500, Matt wrote:
>>
>> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
>> Giving Debian a whirl now.
>>
>> yum update
>
> This becomes "apt-get update" in debian.

No. "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade".