Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Wawrzek Niewodniczanski

Default Preseed and host based varaibles

Hi,

I wonder if it possible with preseed to set some response as a variable
base on a hostname. I.e. in exim4 do:

exim4-config exim4/mailname string ($hostname)
where $hostname is pick-up from machine the OS is installed on.

If it is not possible I'll create a preseed.cfg file dynamical.

Cheers,
Wawrzek

--
Wawrzyniec (Wawrzek) Niewodniczański -
System Administrator - Engineering Services Team (XenServer)

Archive: 4DECDE09.9090606@citrix.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DECDE09.9090606@citrix.com

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:02:49 +0100, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski wrote:

> I wonder if it possible with preseed to set some response as a variable
> base on a hostname. I.e. in exim4 do:
>
> exim4-config exim4/mailname string ($hostname) where $hostname is
> pick-up from machine the OS is installed on.
>
> If it is not possible I'll create a preseed.cfg file dynamical.

Hum... how could the installer get access to the current installed system
to fetch the hostname from there? Let's imagine there are 4 linux
installations in several disks or partitions... what hostname to choose,
what to mount...? :-?

I ask because I don't know, I'm just curious on how the preseeding works
and about its capabilities :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Wawrzek Niewodniczanski

Hum... how could the installer get access to the current installed system
to fetch the hostname from there? Let's imagine there are 4 linux
installations in several disks or partitions... what hostname to choose,
what to mount...? :-?

You provide it an answer (or point to use DHCP).

I ask because I don't know, I'm just curious on how the preseeding works
and about its capabilities :-)

It's quite powerful and worth to consider if you have more than few
boxes to install.

Cheers,
Wawrzek

Archive: 4DEF2E12.2010005@citrix.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DEF2E12.2010005@citrix.com

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:08:50 +0100, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski wrote:

> On 06/06/11 18:34, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:02:49 +0100, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski wrote:
> [...]
>> Hum... how could the installer get access to the current installed
>> system to fetch the hostname from there? Let's imagine there are 4
>> linux installations in several disks or partitions... what hostname to
>> choose, what to mount...? :-?
> You provide it an answer (or point to use DHCP).

(...)

Yes, but -if I understood you correctly- your question was how to this
"automatically", right? That is, with no user intervention and no
variable preset on the preseeding file. So I wondered how could the
installer fill the hostname variable by directly reading it from the
current installed system(s).

Or did you look for something else?

Greetings,

--