Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Camaleón

Default Skype: Choppy sound and high packet loss

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:34:15 +0300, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> I've had difficulties to get Skype to work. I suffer from choppy audio
> and high packet loss specifically on the sending side of the
> transmission. I've configured my router to open the ports for the
> application without it really making a difference.
>
> I've googled the problem and came across the following discussion in the
> skype forum:
> http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=17384
>
> The solution presented for Fedora Core 2 is:
>
> echo "skype 256 65535 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
> echo "skype 256 65535 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
>
> Is there some solution like the one mentioned above for Debian?

Just a quick note on the above link... comments are from 2005! :-o

Skype is well know for having issues with sound in Linux so I would
first try with the latest version available to discard a problem with the
software itself.

There is also a guide for troubleshooting sound under linux:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/support/user-guides/skype-for-linux/call-quality/poor-quality-sound/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón