Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Simon Pepping

Default linux-boot-prober and grub on other OS

I have a debian and a ubuntu system in two different partitions on the same
disk. grub-pc on the debian system provides the boot-loader.

When I have grub-pc installed on the ubuntu system, updates of that package
overwrite debian's grub on the MBR.

When I uninstall grub-pc from ubuntu, update-grub on the debian system is no
longer able to generate good lines for ubuntu in grub.cfg.

How can I get good lines for ubuntu in debian's grub.cfg, and not overwrite the
MBR with ubuntu's grub when ubuntu's grub-pc package is updated?

Simon

Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:10 +0000, Simon Pepping wrote:
> I have a debian and a ubuntu system in two different partitions on the same
> disk. grub-pc on the debian system provides the boot-loader.
>
> When I have grub-pc installed on the ubuntu system, updates of that package
> overwrite debian's grub on the MBR.
>
> When I uninstall grub-pc from ubuntu, update-grub on the debian system is no
> longer able to generate good lines for ubuntu in grub.cfg.
>
> How can I get good lines for ubuntu in debian's grub.cfg, and not overwrite the
> MBR with ubuntu's grub when ubuntu's grub-pc package is updated?
>
> Simon

I know that I stand alone with this opinion, but I edit grub.cfg
manually, instead of wasting hours, days, month with learning how to set
up several files, that then anyway won't set up grub.cfg 100% the way I
wish to have it. Btw. the command 'submenu' works with Ubuntu, but not
Debian, for GRUB2 there seems to be several setups, or plugins or ...?!

GRUB2 isn't a good boot loader, I guess we should switch back to GRUB1.
I wonder if anybody wish to see splash screens an such stuff, but
doesn't need a good menu list.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Brian

On Mon 06 Jun 2011 at 11:10:59 +0000, Simon Pepping wrote:

> When I have grub-pc installed on the ubuntu system, updates of that package
> overwrite debian's grub on the MBR.

You could install Ubuntu's GRUB on the root partition. Or try to; it
seems it may be fraught.

> When I uninstall grub-pc from ubuntu, update-grub on the debian system is no
> longer able to generate good lines for ubuntu in grub.cfg.

What is not good about the entry Debian puts in the GRUB menu?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Btw. the command 'submenu' works with Ubuntu, but not
> Debian, for GRUB2 there seems to be several setups, or plugins or ...?!

Wheezy and Natty have "submenu". Squeeze, Maverick, and Lucid don't.

Mon Jun 6 16:30:28 2011