Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Peter Beck

Default clone LVM disk to a larger disk

On 06/05/2011 04:51 PM, Jochen Schulz wrote:

What I would probably do is:

- install new disk alongside the old one
- put one big partition on the new disk and pvcreate the partition
- vgextend the existing VG with the new partition
- vgreduce the VG, removing the old disk's partitions

That should be just as fast as dd'ing the old filesystems and can be
done without downtime. You don't need to resize any existing partitions,
but you can of course grow the LVs and the filesystems afterwards, if
you want to take advantage of the additional space.

Hi Jochen,

and this will also work when the operating system is running on this lvm
? Downtime is no issue because it's my "home cluster" and the resources
will switch to the other server anyway, so no "real" downtime.

the other problem is - there is no free slot for the new disk, so i
think I'll stay with dd'ing or something like that. I'll write back if
it was working or if there were issues with that.

Thanks and best Regards
Peter

Archive: 4DEBBC12.2090700@datentraeger.li">http://lists.debian.org/4DEBBC12.2090700@datentraeger.li

Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Jochen Schulz

Peter Beck:
> On 06/05/2011 04:51 PM, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> What I would probably do is:
>>
>> - install new disk alongside the old one
>> - put one big partition on the new disk and pvcreate the partition
>> - vgextend the existing VG with the new partition
>> - vgreduce the VG, removing the old disk's partitions
>>
>> That should be just as fast as dd'ing the old filesystems and can be
>> done without downtime. You don't need to resize any existing partitions,
>> but you can of course grow the LVs and the filesystems afterwards, if
>> you want to take advantage of the additional space.
>
> and this will also work when the operating system is running on this
> lvm ?

Yes, if you add the pvmove step that I forgot to mention. Just expect a
(heavy) drop in IO performance as both the new and the old disk are very
busy during the move.

If you also have filesystems on non-LVM devices, you have to take care
of them by other means. If you boot from the disk, don't forget to
grub-install.

J.
--
Quite often I wonder why I am not more famous and/or more wealthy.
[Agree] [Disagree]