Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Boot fails during fschk of /dev/vg1/var

I am running Lenny with LVM. Last night the system locked completely.
No mouse movement. No keystroke entry. Nothing. I don't like to
power down without a proper shutdown, but I did not seem to have a lot
of choice. This morning, when I tried to boot up I got an fschk on
several partitions. The first few were fine, until I got to
/dev/vg1/var. I got a dma expiry error. I tried several times to
power down and reboot, with the same result.

Next, I booted into single user and tried to fsck /dev/vg1/var. When
I do that, I get the following messages:

/dev/vg1/var has gone 186 days without being checked, check forced.
[ 191.648009] hda: ide_dma_sff_timer_expiry: DMA status (0x61)
[ 201.648005] hda DMA timeout error
[ 201.648057] hda: dma ti9meout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
[ 201,648173] hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xc8
[ 201.648224] hda: DMA disabled
[ 201.512005] ide0: reset: success

Then it just sits there indefinitely. Total lock up.

I can reboot, go into single user mode, and mount the partition
without any apparent errors. Only a warning that it has been too long
since it was checked and I SHOULD run fsck. How do I fix this?
Presumably, I could edit /etc/fstab to not mount /var automatically
and mount it manually once the system has booted, but that does not
correct the actual problem. Okay, that doesn't work. The root
filesystem is read-only. Can I remount / as rw while the system is
up? Do I need to get a rescue cd and make the changes that way? I
think that I have enough unused space in my pv to create a new
partition for /var and copy everything from the old partition. Would
this be the best option, or is there something else to do? If this is
my best option, then I guess I need a rescue CD that understands LVM
to boot into and work from. Is this correct?

All help appreciated.

Marc Shapiro

Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/04/11 at 05:44pm, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I am running Lenny with LVM. Last night the system locked completely.
> No mouse movement. No keystroke entry. Nothing. I don't like to
> power down without a proper shutdown, but I did not seem to have a lot
> of choice. This morning, when I tried to boot up I got an fschk on
> several partitions. The first few were fine, until I got to
> /dev/vg1/var. I got a dma expiry error. I tried several times to
> power down and reboot, with the same result.
>
> Next, I booted into single user and tried to fsck /dev/vg1/var. When
> I do that, I get the following messages:
>
> /dev/vg1/var has gone 186 days without being checked, check forced.
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> [ 191.648009] hda: ide_dma_sff_timer_expiry: DMA status (0x61)
> [ 201.648005] hda DMA timeout error
> [ 201.648057] hda: dma ti9meout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> [ 201,648173] hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xc8
> [ 201.648224] hda: DMA disabled
> [ 201.512005] ide0: reset: success
>
> Then it just sits there indefinitely. Total lock up.

Try booting with ide=nodma, see how far you get.

> I can reboot, go into single user mode, and mount the partition
> without any apparent errors. Only a warning that it has been too long
> since it was checked and I SHOULD run fsck. How do I fix this?
> Presumably, I could edit /etc/fstab to not mount /var automatically
> and mount it manually once the system has booted, but that does not
> correct the actual problem. Okay, that doesn't work. The root
> filesystem is read-only. Can I remount / as rw while the system is
> up?

Sure, should work. But with / being ro during boot a lot of services will probably fail to start properly.

> Do I need to get a rescue cd and make the changes that way? I
> think that I have enough unused space in my pv to create a new
> partition for /var and copy everything from the old partition. Would
> this be the best option, or is there something else to do?

If you've actually got some trouble with your disk, more logical volumes on the same disk won't be helpful.
In that instance you'll want a new disk with either no LVM or at least a separate VG.

>If this is my best option, then I guess I need a rescue CD that understands LVM
> to boot into and work from. Is this correct?

That's one way to do it. Debian CDs have a rescue mode that supports LVM.

--
Liam

Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Marc Shapiro

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/04/11 at 05:44pm, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> I am running Lenny with LVM. *Last night the system locked completely.
>> *No mouse movement. *No keystroke entry. *Nothing. *I don't like to
>> power down without a proper shutdown, but I did not seem to have a lot
>> of choice. *This morning, when I tried to boot up I got an fschk on
>> several partitions. *The first few were fine, until I got to
>> /dev/vg1/var. *I got a dma expiry error. *I tried several times to
>> power down and reboot, with the same result.
>>
>> Next, I booted into single user and tried to fsck /dev/vg1/var. *When
>> I do that, I get the following messages:
>>
>> /dev/vg1/var has gone 186 days without being checked, check forced.
>> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
>> [ *191.648009] hda: ide_dma_sff_timer_expiry: DMA status (0x61)
>> [ *201.648005] hda DMA timeout error
>> [ *201.648057] hda: dma ti9meout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>> [ *201,648173] hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xc8
>> [ *201.648224] hda: DMA disabled
>> [ 201.512005] ide0: reset: success
>>
>> Then it just sits there indefinitely. *Total lock up.
>
> Try booting with ide=nodma, see how far you get.

Same error. Same lockup.

Marc Shapiro