Old 06-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Doug

Default Samba or NFS--tangent

On 06/03/2011 11:28 PM, William Hopkins wrote:

On 06/03/11 at 10:02pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 06/03/2011 11:43 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
[snip]

NFS is by far simpler to use in pure Linux environment, Samba is for
Windows networks. NFS has no passwords, just install it with apt-get,
and declare /etc/exports in the server, and mount the shares in the
clients /etc/fstab. That's all it takes.

Fine for home environments, but shouldn't an office environment use
LDAP for coordinated UID/GID sharing?

/snip/

Not to steal the thread, but those who read this probably are the best to
advise me. I know nothing about networking, but I would like to set up
a peer-to-peer network among a Windows 7 and two Linux machines, one of
which can also be booted to XP. (If one absolutely *must* be a "master"
it must

be the Windows 7 machine.) I assume I would use samba. I don't need any
security--all the machines are mine, here in the house with me, and I
live alone.
What I need is words of one syllable on how to do it. Is there a
"Networks For

Dummies" for me somewhere?

Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4DE9BB80.7050803@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DE9BB80.7050803@optonline.net

Old 06-04-2011, 05:30 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/04/11 at 12:58am, Doug wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 11:28 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
> >On 06/03/11 at 10:02pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >>On 06/03/2011 11:43 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >>[snip]
> >>>
> >>Fine for home environments, but shouldn't an office environment use
> >>LDAP for coordinated UID/GID sharing?
> >
> /snip/
>
> Not to steal the thread, but those who read this probably are the best to
> advise me. I know nothing about networking, but I would like to set up
> a peer-to-peer network ...
Peer to peer typically refers to filesharing programs. Can you explain what it is you want?
I assume you've already got a network up, is it file sharing you mean?

If that's so, you probably don't even need samba. Just smbfs/smbclient on the linux clients to read the stuff on the Windows 7 box.

--
Liam

Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 04 iun 11, 02:31:28, Doug wrote:

> I opened the suggested url, and read the following intro: "*Reader
> Prerequisites*: To get the most from this
> article, understand the following concepts before reading: basic
> unix command line tools, text editors,
> DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP, netmask, gateway"
>
> I'm not afraid of command line tools and I can use nano or pico, or
> mc (yes, I've been around
> since WordStar days)--vi is a problem--but some of the network terms
> are not really clear
> to me. The only one I'm sure of is netmask, but I'm not sure if
> that is fixed to a machine or
> that is the "dynamic" part of DHCP. Nor do I know where the "name"
> in DNS comes from.
> As you see, I wasn't kidding about knowing about networking.

Hello Doug,

I would suggest (in this order):

1. read on Wikipedia about all the terms above you don't understand
- ask questions here for anything you don't understand (be specific
and open a new thread for each question)
2. open a new thread with a good subject and describe exactly
- what computers you have (with OS and computer names if possible)
- what other hardware you have (printers and such)
- what network devices you have (including exact model)
- how are they all connected to each other
- what you want to achieve

Yes, it's not easy, but my impression is you don't want to be spoon-fed,
but instead really understand what you would be doing

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Before you start, this is an excelent read

Old 06-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Doug

On 06/04/2011 01:30 AM, William Hopkins wrote:

[...]

No, I don't have a network up.* As I said, I really don't
know anything about networks.* What I want is not only file
sharing,

but the ability to use the Win 7 machine as a print server.*
(Linux is not fit to be a print server since it takes forever to

print .pdf's. Maybe someday. . . .)* Also, the Win 7 machine is
closer to the printers, which are hard-wired.* All of the machines

are connected by ethernet or wireless. but the printers don't have
either.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Ron Johnson

On 06/04/2011 12:48 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

No, I don't have a network up. As I said, I really don't know anything
about networks. What I want is not only file sharing,
but the ability to use the Win 7 machine as a print server. (Linux is
not fit to be a print server since it takes forever to
print .pdf's. Maybe someday. . . .) Also, the Win 7 machine is closer to
the printers, which are hard-wired. All of the machines
are connected by ethernet

But you say at the beginning of the paragraph that you don't have a
network "up". Misprint?

or wireless. but the printers don't have either.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DE9C8CD.8080209@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DE9C8CD.8080209@cox.net

Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/04/11 at 01:48am, Doug wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 01:30 AM, William Hopkins wrote:

> >>/snip/
> >>
> >>Not to steal the thread, but those who read this probably are the best to
> >>advise me. I know nothing about networking, but I would like to set up
> >>a peer-to-peer network ...
> >Peer to peer typically refers to filesharing programs. Can you explain what it is you want?
> >I assume you've already got a network up, is it file sharing you mean?
> >
> >If that's so, you probably don't even need samba. Just smbfs/smbclient on the linux clients to read the stuff on the Windows 7 box.
> >
> No, I don't have a network up. As I said, I really don't know
> anything about networks.

here's the debian networking howto, for your linux machines:
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
the important files are /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf
you can report back with questions or google a howto or hit up IRC for realtime support...

> What I want is not only file sharing, but the ability to use the Win 7 machine as a print server.
IIRC it's easier to use linux as the server component for printing, but not impossible to go the other way.
Unfortunately I don't have any windows machines, so I fear I'll be little help. Perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction.

--
Liam

Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Doug

On 06/04/2011 01:55 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 06/04/2011 12:48 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

No, I don't have a network up. As I said, I really don't know anything
about networks. What I want is not only file sharing,
but the ability to use the Win 7 machine as a print server. (Linux is
not fit to be a print server since it takes forever to
print .pdf's. Maybe someday. . . .) Also, the Win 7 machine is closer to
the printers, which are hard-wired. All of the machines
are connected by ethernet

But you say at the beginning of the paragraph that you don't have a
network "up". Misprint?

or wireless. but the printers don't have
either.

No, I can plug both the Windows and one Linux machine into the Laserjet,
one on

parallel, and one on usb. But the only way I can communicate between any of
the machines to share files is to email myself thru the isp. And the
only way

I can print to the color printer is to move the usb cable to whichever of
two of the machines--the Win 7 or the other Linux--it will reach. And it is
far too late to move everything around, and anyway the printers only
have two

input ports, and there are three computers. I hope I have made sense?
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4DE9CC68.2030500@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DE9CC68.2030500@optonline.net

Old 06-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Doug

On 06/04/2011 02:00 AM, William Hopkins wrote:

[...]

However, I will google all these terms and see if that will clear
things up.* Then try the url again.

(Meantime, I have to go to bed--it's 2:30 AM!)

Thanx--doug

Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Ron Johnson

On 06/04/2011 01:10 AM, Doug wrote:

[...]

How do they access the Intarweb at the same time? Or do they?

corrupt."

Archive: 4DE9D5AB.8020900@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DE9D5AB.8020900@cox.net

Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Ron Johnson

On 06/04/2011 01:31 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

I opened the suggested url, and read the following intro: "*Reader
Prerequisites*: To get the most from this
article, understand the following concepts before reading: basic unix
command line tools, text editors,
DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP, netmask, gateway"

I'm not afraid of command line tools and I can use nano or pico, or mc
(yes, I've been around

What do you current use to configure networking in Linux? (You must get
to the Internet somehow...)

corrupt."