Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Thomas Milne

Default What kernel for AMD Sempron system?

Hello all,
I just assembled a system with an M2V motherboard and Sempron processor, with Nvidia graphics card. I installed Debian Squeeze, then upgraded to unstable. Installed nvidia-glx, nvidia dkms, a new kernel and headers.

The kernel that was installed with Squeeze was*2.6.32-5-686 which worked fine, but for Unstable the kernel is*2.6.39-1. The thing is, I can't figure out which one to run, because I see*2.6.39-1-amd64 and 2.6.39-1-686-pae, but neither of them work. When I try to boot from either I get a 'stack trace'.

I thought this might have something to do with the warning I got about missing firmware in the new kernel, so I followed the advice and installed firmware-debian, but that has not helped. Is there another step I am missing?

Any help much appreciated.
--
Thomas Milne