Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Search engines to replace or to add to Google

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:38 +0200, Klaus Wolf wrote:
> Hallo together,
>
> it is not new that google or yahoo wants to see the whole world
> as a glasfish. So for surch the web I use metacrawler like the
> server of Uni Kassel www.metager.de .
>
> whish a nice day to all
>
> klaus

Thank you Klaus

and pardon that I captured the thread. This wasn't my intention.

Starting a collection of search engines that might be trustful and will
give good hits:
http://www.ixquick.com/
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
http://duckduckgo.com/

FWIW there is no www.google.com/linux anymore (Google's search engine
for Linux), but new to me, http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ for
their stuff only.

Important are search engines that also provide other languages, not only
English.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20110603_123948, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:38 +0200, Klaus Wolf wrote:
> > Hallo together,
> >
> > it is not new that google or yahoo wants to see the whole world
> > as a glasfish. So for surch the web I use metacrawler like the
> > server of Uni Kassel www.metager.de .
> >
> > whish a nice day to all
> >
> > klaus
>
> Thank you Klaus
>
> and pardon that I captured the thread. This wasn't my intention.
>
> Starting a collection of search engines that might be trustful and will
^^^^^^^^
Back in the '60s people used a somewhat crude expression for the
weasel words used by corporate America and the military industrial
complex: mind fuck (MF). The problem with the internet today, IMHO, is
that it is becoming saturated with corporate MF. The use of the word
'trusted' in places where people wanted to be able to use 'trustworthy'
is a particularly irksome example. 'Trustful' is new to me. I hope it
is just an innocent mistake of a non-native user of English and not
a deliberate obfuscation of the obfuscation, 'trusted'.
<snip>

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:04 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20110603_123948, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:38 +0200, Klaus Wolf wrote:
> > > Hallo together,
> > >
> > > it is not new that google or yahoo wants to see the whole world
> > > as a glasfish. So for surch the web I use metacrawler like the
> > > server of Uni Kassel www.metager.de .
> > >
> > > whish a nice day to all
> > >
> > > klaus
> >
> > Thank you Klaus
> >
> > and pardon that I captured the thread. This wasn't my intention.
> >
> > Starting a collection of search engines that might be trustful and will
> ^^^^^^^^
> Back in the '60s people used a somewhat crude expression for the
> weasel words used by corporate America and the military industrial
> complex: mind fuck (MF). The problem with the internet today, IMHO, is
> that it is becoming saturated with corporate MF. The use of the word
> 'trusted' in places where people wanted to be able to use 'trustworthy'
> is a particularly irksome example. 'Trustful' is new to me. I hope it
> is just an innocent mistake of a non-native user of English and not
> a deliberate obfuscation of the obfuscation, 'trusted'.
> <snip>

Since my English is broken, my capabilities regarding to rhetorical
obfuscation in English need some improvement . If I should translate
your mail half correct, than it seems to be an issue regarding to my
English.de, but don't trust these words .

The German word for "screen" is "Bild""schirm". Lousy translated word
for word it could be "picture umbrella" in English. I like idioms, but
translating those is very hard for me. And sometimes it isn't easy to
find even the simplest correct phrases in English.

Errare humanum est, sed in errore perseverare diabolicum

Cheers!

Ralf