Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Jack Dodds

Default Gnome/KDE program launches hang when Internet disconnected - Lenny

I am running Lenny. The system is connected to the Internet via a
Linksys BEFSR81router and a cable modem. My desktop is Gnome.

If the Internet is inaccessible - e.g. if the Ethernet cable is
disconnected from the computer, or the cable modem power is
disconnected, or if there are problems on the provider network - many
GUI programs take a long time (about 60 seconds) to launch.

To be specific, I have an icon for gedit on a panel on my desktop.
Normally if I click on it the program is launched within about 2
seconds. If the Internet is inaccessible, and I click on it, nothing
whatsoever appears on the screen for 60 seconds, then the gedit window
appears. Once the program is launched it works fine. This happens
every time certain programs are launched, until the Internet becomes
accessible again.

Not all programs are affected. For example, from the "Graphics" section
of my start menu, GImageView, Gimp, GPicView, Inkscape, and XSane are
NOT affected. Xpdf is not affected.

When an affected program is launched, and the Internet is accessible,
there is activity on the cable modem (lights flash) before the program
window first appears. When an unaffected program is launched, this does
not happen in most cases. I have checked the router logs. There is no
sign of activity in the logs correlated to program launches. However
the logs appear to show only TCP and UDP transfers. They do not appear
to show e.g. DNS lookups, and they may not show mere connections if no
transfer occurs.

It appears that ALL programs that use the Qt application framework are
affected. I am basing that on the distinctive "look" of Qt windows. It
appears that MOST OR ALL programs designed to work specifically with
Gnome are affected. (Often these are identified by the phrase "for
Gnome" in their Help-About windows.) The programs that are not affected
appear to be older GTK+ programs.

I don't clearly understand the gnome-vfs system, but it seems as if the
affected programs are perhaps initializing a high-level file system
which tries to make some contact with the Internet, perhaps with a DNS
server, and has a 60 second timeout on that access. I've looked at
Gnome and gnome-vfs2.0 config files but I don't immediately see anything
relevant. I do not and have never used any kind of Internet networking
with this system other than the usual FTP, SFTP, and web browser clients.

I've Googled "Linux program launch hangs when Internet disconnected" and
similar phrases, with no relevant results.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:38:23 -0400, Jack Dodds wrote:

> I am running Lenny. The system is connected to the Internet via a
> Linksys BEFSR81router and a cable modem. My desktop is Gnome.
>
> If the Internet is inaccessible - e.g. if the Ethernet cable is
> disconnected from the computer, or the cable modem power is
> disconnected, or if there are problems on the provider network - many
> GUI programs take a long time (about 60 seconds) to launch.

(...)

I have not experienced that specific behaviour in any of my lenny
systems.

What I've seen if that when there is no Internet access, booting process
delays a lot and once logged in, programs that require Internet
connectivity -for most of their functions- are also experiencing a bit of
slowness (like Icedove) but besides that, nothing more.

What can prevent gedit to be launched quickly? Dunno, but I see no
relation between network and gedit :-?.

What it could happen is that system daemons running in background which
require Internet access (ntp, newsreaders, e-mail chechers, weather
applets, etc...) are consuming more resources and CPU when network is off
and so loading the system but unless your computer has a low ammount of
ram or is very busy that shouldn't be noticeable.

Run "top" to check for any runaway process.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/03/11 at 05:38am, Jack Dodds wrote:

> If the Internet is inaccessible - e.g. if the Ethernet cable is
> disconnected from the computer, or the cable modem power is
> disconnected, or if there are problems on the provider network - many
> GUI programs take a long time (about 60 seconds) to launch.

Do you have any network filesystems, such as via NFS, or have you mounted anything over the network within nautilus recently?
NFS filesystems can cause things to hang indefinitely on network outages.

--
Liam

Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 AM
William Hopkins

On 06/03/11 at 10:17pm, Camaleón wrote:
> El 2011-06-03 a las 12:53 -0400, Thomas Milne escribió:
>
> (resending to the list)

> > > (...)
> > >
> > > I have not experienced that specific behaviour in any of my lenny
> > > systems.
>
> (...)
>
> > > Run "top" to check for any runaway process.
> > >

> > This sounds suspiciously like the effects of Gnome's notorious Network
> > Manager. This tells Internet applications whether you are connected or not.
> > That's where I would start looking, at least.
>
> Yes, that would be a good test: shutdown the networking service
> ("/etc/init.d/networking stop") and then check if there is still a
> delay when opening gedit.

This would be the same as disconnecting the ethernet, wouldn't it? Network-manager is not called from this script.

--
Liam

Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Jack Dodds

Thanks to those who commented.

I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop . When this is done, programs
launch without delay. Of course, this makes it impossible for any
program to access the Internet so it's not a solution!

However, taking gedit as an example,

Normal operation - Internet accessible - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
External problem - Internet inaccessible - gedit takes 60 seconds to launch.
Internal shutdown of networking - gedit launches in 2 seconds.

Maybe this means something, but I am not sure what.

I also found NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher daemons running.

I tried /etc/init.d/network-manager stop which eliminated one - I
killed the other. This had no effect on the symptoms - gedit and other
still take 60 seconds ot launch.

I also found 8 instances of nfsd and one instance of nfsd4 running.
Tried to kill -9 all of them. This had no effect.

Any other suggestions?

Jack Dodds

Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Ron Johnson

I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop . When this is done, programs
launch without delay. Of course, this makes it impossible for any
program to access the Internet so it's not a solution!

However, taking gedit as an example,

Normal operation - Internet accessible - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
External problem - Internet inaccessible - gedit takes 60 seconds to launch.
Internal shutdown of networking - gedit launches in 2 seconds.

Maybe this means something, but I am not sure what.

I also found NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher daemons running.

I tried /etc/init.d/network-manager stop which eliminated one - I
killed the other. This had no effect on the symptoms - gedit and other
still take 60 seconds ot launch.

I also found 8 instances of nfsd and one instance of nfsd4 running.
Tried to kill -9 all of them. This had no effect.

The correct way:
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop

Any other suggestions?

Run gedit from an xterm using strace.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DEA53E9.8070100@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DEA53E9.8070100@cox.net

Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-06-04, Jack Dodds <brmdamon@hushmail.com> wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enig8C3A295D8BAF91ED98A88B02
>

> Thanks to those who commented.
>
> I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop . When this is done, programs
> launch without delay. Of course, this makes it impossible for any
> program to access the Internet so it's not a solution!
>
> However, taking gedit as an example,
>
> Normal operation - Internet accessible - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
> External problem - Internet inaccessible - gedit takes 60 seconds to laun=
> ch.
> Internal shutdown of networking - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
>
> Maybe this means something, but I am not sure what.

(...)

X applications need to resolve your system's hostname, and are
(unnecessarily) going to the internet to do so. What are the contents of
the files /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname?

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 09:34:26 -0400, Jack Dodds wrote:

> Thanks to those who commented.
>
> I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop . When this is done, programs
> launch without delay. Of course, this makes it impossible for any
> program to access the Internet so it's not a solution!

Nope, not a solution, this was just for testing pruposes :-)

> However, taking gedit as an example,
>
> Normal operation - Internet accessible - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
> External problem - Internet inaccessible - gedit takes 60 seconds to
> launch.
> Internal shutdown of networking - gedit launches in 2 seconds.
>
> Maybe this means something, but I am not sure what.

When sutting down the network service you are telling the applications:
"hey, there is no network available, so don't bother going online".

> I also found NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher daemons
> running.
>
> I tried /etc/init.d/network-manager stop which eliminated one - I
> killed the other. This had no effect on the symptoms - gedit and other
> still take 60 seconds ot launch.
>
> I also found 8 instances of nfsd and one instance of nfsd4 running.
> Tried to kill -9 all of them. This had no effect.
>
> Any other suggestions?

By Googling around I found this (comment #5):

Gnome slow loading apps, yet fine once load
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/gnome-slow-loading-apps-yet-fine-once-load-574196/

This is indeed in the line of what Liam suggested, so try and check if
you experience any improvement.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón