Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Ethan Rosenberg

Default CUPS Cannot recognize lp0

Dear List -

I am trying to print from Debian and receive the following message:
"Unable to open device file"/dev/lp0": Permission Denied"

The permissions for lp0 are 666.

Advice and comments, please.

Thanks.

Ethan

Debian 6.0.1a squeeze(sid)

Archive: 0LM600DH4NZR18G0@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0LM600DH4NZR18G0@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:04:37 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

> I am trying to print from Debian and receive the following message:
> "Unable to open device file"/dev/lp0": Permission Denied"
>
> The permissions for lp0 are 666.

And who is the owner/group of it?

This is what I get under lenny:

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 jun 3 07:48 /dev/lp0

Also, to check if you are facing a permissions issue, try to send
something to the printer as root.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-06-03 a las 10:54 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg escribió:

(resending to the list)

> At 09:40 AM 6/3/2011, you wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:04:37 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to print from Debian and receive the following message:
>> > "Unable to open device file"/dev/lp0": Permission Denied"
>> >
>> > The permissions for lp0 are 666.
>>
>> And who is the owner/group of it?
>>
>> This is what I get under lenny:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/lp0
>> crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 jun 3 07:48 /dev/lp0
>>
>> Also, to check if you are facing a permissions issue, try to send
>> something to the printer as root.

> Camaleon -
>
> Thanks.
>
> This is a mystery......
> $ls -la /dev/lp0
> Cannot access: No such file or directory

Uh? Did the port "automagically" vanish? Is the printer on? :-?

> $locate lp0
> $

"Locate" neither works for me but udev has to create the printer
port facility under "/dev" :-?

> Where did lp0 go?

I dunno :-)

But if there is a printer port it should have been detected, try:

dmesg | grep lp
lsmod | grep lp

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-06-03 a las 12:28 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg escribió:

(resending to the list. Ethan, you are replying just to me, not to the
list ;-) )

> At 11:34 AM 6/3/2011, you wrote:

(...)

>> > This is a mystery......
>> > $ls -la /dev/lp0
>> > Cannot access: No such file or directory
>>
>> Uh? Did the port "automagically" vanish? Is the printer on? :-?
>>
>> > $locate lp0
>> > $
>>
>> "Locate" neither works for me but udev has to create the printer
>> port facility under "/dev" :-?
>>
>> > Where did lp0 go?
>>
>> I dunno :-)
>>
>> But if there is a printer port it should have been detected, try:
>>
>> dmesg | grep lp
>> lsmod | grep lp

(...)

> Here is the output form dmesg and lsmod:
>
> rosenberg:/etc# lsmod |grep lp
> drm_kms_helper 26550 1 nouveau
> drm 129190 3 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
> i2c_core 19022 6
> nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,nvidia,i2c _i801

There is no trace of lp? :-?

> rosenberg:/etc#
> rosenberg:/etc#
> rosenberg:/etc# dmesg |grep lp
> [ 0.000000] On node 0 totalpages: 130639
> [ 0.008009] Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using
> timer frequency.. 1993.57 BogoMIPS (lpj=3987152)
>
> Sorry, I am a newbie, so please tell me what it means.

I can be wrong but it looks like your printer port is not being
detected/recognized by the system (no kernel modules loaded and nothing
in dmesg).

But I'm not sure what's now the default in squeeze. In lenny (although
I don't have a printer connected to LPT) I get:

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 jun 3 07:48 /dev/lp0

sm01@stt008:~$ lsmod | grep lp
lp 14724 0
parport 41904 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc

sm01@stt008:~$ dmesg | grep lp0
[ 41.186048] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

And all that means that at least the system has detected the port and
kernel loaded the right modules to manage it.

Maybe someone with Squeeze can give you additional information on this,
I dunno if there was a change on this :-?

Some questions:

- Why did you said in your first message that "permissions for lp
are 0666"? Where did you see that? Or did the port dissapear
afterwards?

- What's your printer brand and model?

- How did you configured the printer, via CUPS web wizard?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón