Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 PM
tadziu

Default google to pull support for firefox 3,5

i'm just curious, is there any chance to bring iceweasel 4.0 to
stable before google ends support for 3,5? i got 4.0 on my
second computer with squeeze, but i had to mess a bit to get
it working, and it's not performing as well as i've expected.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/01/google-apps-to-pull-support-for-firefox-3-5-internet-explorer-7-and-safari-3/

/t

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/02/11 at 08:15pm, tadziu wrote:
> i'm just curious, is there any chance to bring iceweasel 4.0 to
> stable before google ends support for 3,5? i got 4.0 on my
> second computer with squeeze, but i had to mess a bit to get
> it working, and it's not performing as well as i've expected.
>

> http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/01/google-apps-to-pull-support-for-firefox-3-5-internet-explorer-7-and-safari-3/

How awful! Google has brought browsers to the PC hardware game: upgrade or get left behind.
I only upgrade browsers for security reasons, as I use noscript and requestpolicy and my browsing experience is essentially similar to my browsing experience in 1999. I am willing to bet gmail et al will continue to work for as long as you can use them without the fancy features (google does try their hand at requiring javascript now and then, such as the recent google images fiasco).

OK rambling aside, you can use iceweasel 4.0 from experimental. Also given that it exists there, I'm sure there are plans to bring it forward to unstable and testing (and probably backports).

--
Liam

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

If their excuse was lack of standards' compliance maybe it'd kinda
make sense. If. There's something called graceful degradation and it
does "force" people to buy newer hardware. How green of Google Inc.
Reminds me to start migrating away from their products and start
treating them as Microsoft's. Guess i'll learn exim et al
</rant>

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 20:34 +0100, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
> If their excuse was lack of standards' compliance maybe it'd kinda
> make sense. If. There's something called graceful degradation and it
> does "force" people to buy newer hardware. How green of Google Inc.
> Reminds me to start migrating away from their products and start
> treating them as Microsoft's. Guess i'll learn exim et al
> </rant>

Unfortunately there seems to be no search engine able to replace
Google's search engine.

E.g.
http://www.ixquick.com/
and
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
can't replace Google for my needs.

Btw. I talk homepages down that use trackers, such as Google analytics.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM
shawn wilson

On Jun 2, 2011 3:35 PM, "Nuno Magalh„es" <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:

> If their excuse was lack of standards' compliance maybe it'd kinda

> make sense. If. There's something called graceful degradation and it

> does "force" people to buy newer hardware. How green of Google Inc.

> Reminds me to start migrating away from their products and start

> treating them as Microsoft's. Guess i'll learn exim et al

> </rant>

Politics aside, I actually wish more companies would do this. I've told people for about a year now that I'll make web sites work for ie9 and everything else or it'll just be tested for a certain version of ie. Not supporting ff3.5 is a bit radical imo but I can understand.

However, its probably because (IIRC) firefox is going to stop supporting it and force upgrades as much as possible. IIRC, they're tired of writing security patches for 3.5 when they've changed their code base do much.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/02/11 at 03:56pm, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011 3:35 PM, "Nuno Magalh„es" <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:
> >
> > If their excuse was lack of standards' compliance maybe it'd kinda
> > make sense. If. There's something called graceful degradation and it
> > does "force" people to buy newer hardware. How green of Google Inc.
> > Reminds me to start migrating away from their products and start
> > treating them as Microsoft's. Guess i'll learn exim et al
> > </rant>
> >

> Politics aside, I actually wish more companies would do this. I've told
> people for about a year now that I'll make web sites work for ie9 and
> everything else or it'll just be tested for a certain version of ie. Not
> supporting ff3.5 is a bit radical imo but I can understand.
>
> However, its probably because (IIRC) firefox is going to stop supporting it
> and force upgrades as much as possible. IIRC, they're tired of writing
> security patches for 3.5 when they've changed their code base do much.

Whether mozilla stops supporting firefox 3.5 or not should have no bearing on whether a given website should work in it.
Perhaps gmail desktop alerts shouldn't work, and you would be advised to upgrade if you wanted them, but gmail as a whole should continue working.
...as should all other google 'apps'...

Hell, I can use gmail in ie5. Why not ff3.5?

--
Liam

Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/02/11 at 09:49pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Unfortunately there seems to be no search engine able to replace
> Google's search engine.
>
> E.g.
> http://www.ixquick.com/
> and
> http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
> can't replace Google for my needs.

Scroogle IS google. So.. not a great example?

> Btw. I talk homepages down that use trackers, such as Google analytics.

noscript and requestpolicy do a fair job at blocking such things.

--
Liam

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
tadziu

> Perhaps gmail desktop alerts shouldn't work, and you would be advised to upgrade if you wanted them, but gmail as a whole should continue working.
> ...as should all other google 'apps'...

i doubt that. i failed to change google account settings with ff3,5. just got
information that my browser is no longer supported. i rather expect to get same
information when loggin to gmail soon. or maybe i just failed to find
workaround?

/t

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 16:06 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/02/11 at 09:49pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Unfortunately there seems to be no search engine able to replace
> > Google's search engine.
> >
> > E.g.
> > http://www.ixquick.com/
> > and
> > http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
> > can't replace Google for my needs.
>
> Scroogle IS google. So.. not a great example?

The 'hacked' Google don't need plugins to ensure that Google doesn't
collect your data. Not everybody is using Firefox.
But Scroogle for the German language isn't really a German Google, hits
very often are terrible translated English sides, when using Scroogle.
Other search engines, such as Clusty became untrustworthy.

> > Btw. I talk homepages down that use trackers, such as Google analytics.
>
> noscript and requestpolicy do a fair job at blocking such things.

There are a lot more that can do this I know, but to be secure I don't
like to leave the house armed with a Colt. If I would need a Colt to
leave my home, I wouldn't feel comfortable. Analogies might be a little
bit inappropriate, but IMO it's a similar situation.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Jeff Grossman

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:49:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 20:34 +0100, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
>> If their excuse was lack of standards' compliance maybe it'd kinda
>> make sense. If. There's something called graceful degradation and it
>> does "force" people to buy newer hardware. How green of Google Inc.
>> Reminds me to start migrating away from their products and start
>> treating them as Microsoft's. Guess i'll learn exim et al
>> </rant>
>
>Unfortunately there seems to be no search engine able to replace
>Google's search engine.
>
>E.g.
>http://www.ixquick.com/
>and
>http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
>can't replace Google for my needs.
>
>Btw. I talk homepages down that use trackers, such as Google analytics.

Google will stop supporting older browsers for their Google Apps
application, not their search engine. I am sure you will be able to
continue using any old browser you can find to use Google Search.

Jeff