Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Restart always restarts with kexec

Hi

after building and installing a kernel-rt a restart will always restart
with kexec.

The whole story:
I started with a clean Debian stable install, now it should be a clean
testing install, but I guess it's an uncertain mix.
I'm just about going to do a fresh Debian testing install, because now I
know, that I need the testing release and I will avoid a confusing mix.

For example, with driver "nouveau" for xorg.conf I'm able to use kernel
2.6.38-2-amd64 from the repositories, with driver "vesa" I'm able to use
a self build kernel 2.6.33.9-rt31. I can't test if both would be ok with
driver "nv", because there isn't such a driver for the installed version
of X. Hence I guess it's better to do a fresh install of Debian testing,
than fixing this and perhaps additional issues, that will appear soon or
later, regarding to an uncertain mix.

I'll keep this current Debian mixed install for experiments, that's
because I'll get rid of this kexec restart. This issue appeared after
the kernel-rt was installed.

Is there an easy way to get back an usual reboot?

Regards,

Ralf

Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-06-02 19:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi
>
> after building and installing a kernel-rt a restart will always restart
> with kexec.
>
> The whole story:
> I started with a clean Debian stable install, now it should be a clean
> testing install, but I guess it's an uncertain mix.
> I'm just about going to do a fresh Debian testing install, because now I
> know, that I need the testing release and I will avoid a confusing mix.
>
> For example, with driver "nouveau" for xorg.conf I'm able to use kernel
> 2.6.38-2-amd64 from the repositories, with driver "vesa" I'm able to use
> a self build kernel 2.6.33.9-rt31. I can't test if both would be ok with
> driver "nv", because there isn't such a driver for the installed version
> of X. Hence I guess it's better to do a fresh install of Debian testing,
> than fixing this and perhaps additional issues, that will appear soon or
> later, regarding to an uncertain mix.

A fresh install of testing is not going to solve this problem, because
the nouveau X driver in testing requires kernel 2.6.34 or later. If you
need the 2.6.33 RT kernel, you have to make do with vesa or fbdev (or
use the NVidia blob).

I cannot help with the kexec problem, sorry.

Sven

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 19:45 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-06-02 19:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > after building and installing a kernel-rt a restart will always restart
> > with kexec.
> >
> > The whole story:
> > I started with a clean Debian stable install, now it should be a clean
> > testing install, but I guess it's an uncertain mix.
> > I'm just about going to do a fresh Debian testing install, because now I
> > know, that I need the testing release and I will avoid a confusing mix.
> >
> > For example, with driver "nouveau" for xorg.conf I'm able to use kernel
> > 2.6.38-2-amd64 from the repositories, with driver "vesa" I'm able to use
> > a self build kernel 2.6.33.9-rt31. I can't test if both would be ok with
> > driver "nv", because there isn't such a driver for the installed version
> > of X. Hence I guess it's better to do a fresh install of Debian testing,
> > than fixing this and perhaps additional issues, that will appear soon or
> > later, regarding to an uncertain mix.
>
> A fresh install of testing is not going to solve this problem, because
> the nouveau X driver in testing requires kernel 2.6.34 or later. If you
> need the 2.6.33 RT kernel, you have to make do with vesa or fbdev (or
> use the NVidia blob).
>
> I cannot help with the kexec problem, sorry.
>
> Sven

Thank you very much,

the vesa driver doesn't enable what I need. I don't need "nouveau"
either. I wish to get xorg-video-nv, but the available version conflicts
with the current installed X.

I suspect the proprietary nvidea driver not to build, when using the
current real-time patch.

But perhaps I should try to solve this issue and not install Debian
testing, since this until now, seems to be the only conflict.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-06-02 19:56 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> the vesa driver doesn't enable what I need. I don't need "nouveau"
> either. I wish to get xorg-video-nv, but the available version conflicts
> with the current installed X.

Rebuilding the Squeeze version of xserver-xorg-video-nv on testing
should work. There is also a git repository at
git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/attic/driver/xserver-xorg-video-nv
(note that the Vcs-Git URL in the source package is no longer valid).

Sven

Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Pascal Hambourg

Hello,

Ralf Mardorf a écrit :

> after building and installing a kernel-rt a restart will always restart
> with kexec.
[...]
> Is there an easy way to get back an usual reboot?

IIUC your request,
a) apt-get remove kexec-tools
b) or run 'coldreboot' instead of 'reboot' to do a normal reboot
c) or edit /etc/default/kexec to disable kexec on reboot

Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 20:35 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> c) or edit /etc/default/kexec to disable kexec on reboot

Thank you very much,

I edited

LOAD_KEXEC=false

it was set to "true" before.

Phew, kexec did cause issues for one of my hard disks!

It's ok now .

Regards,

Ralf