Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM
kalanikta

Default mountdevsubfs.sh

I've been trying to change the permissions on /dev/pts/* from crw--w---- to crw-rw---- so that group has access to write to them.
A specific user was added to the tty group so only he has r/w permissions.
So I've changed the TTYMODE to 660 /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh but it's not changing any permissions after reboot.

So I am wondering if this is a bug or just not intended to work this way or* ... ?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Roger Leigh

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 02:21:19PM +0200, kalanikta wrote:
> I've been trying to change the permissions on /dev/pts/* from crw--w---- to
> crw-rw---- so that group has access to write to them.
> A specific user was added to the tty group so only he has r/w permissions.
> So I've changed the TTYMODE to 660 /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh but it's not
> changing any permissions after reboot.
>
> So I am wondering if this is a bug or just not intended to work this way or
> ... ?

You haven't mentioned which distribution you're using. I'm assuming
stable or testing.

What's probably happening here is that /dev/pts is actually mounted
in the initramfs and then the whole of the /dev mount and any
sub-mounts are moved to the rootfs /dev after it has been mounted.
Because it's already mounted, mountdevsubfs doesn't do anything, hence
your permissions aren't applied.

initscripts in unstable now always remounts (if already mounted) with
the configured permissions. Note that this can be done by either
editing mountdevsubfs.sh directly (not recommended) or by adding an
entry to /etc/fstab (recommended). The mount options in fstab for
/dev/pts will be used when doing the remount. This should make its
way into testing in the next few weeks.

Regards,
Roger

--