Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Itay

Default (problem) LVM + USB drive

On Mon, 30 May 2011, Itay wrote:

I'd like to set up a USB drive using LVM. Could someone knowledgable confirm
that the following recipe should allow me to hot-plug the USB drive without
rendering the LVM file-systems inaccessible?

The recipe has a problem in the vgcreate step (below,
marked with '***********').
The physical volume is not listed in /dev/disk/by-uuid/...

Can someone suggest how to fix the recipe, or suggest a different
workflow for working with lvm on hot-pluggable USBs?

Recipe follows:

Set up:
# (Actual number of partitions, etc., is not important here.)

# Assume attached disk is /dev/sdc and it has an extended partition #+ that
covers that whole disk.

# Prepare partitions for LVM (say, 2 partitions)
$ parted /dev/sdc mkpart logical START1 END1
$ parted /dev/sdc mkpart logical START2 END2
# Create Physical Volumes
$ pvcreate /dev/sdc1
$ pvcreate /dev/sdc2
# Identify the Physical Volumes' UUIDs
$ blkid
# Create Volume Groups using PVs **UUIDs**

***********'

$ vgcreate [options] myVG /dev/disk/by-uuid/UUID-OF-PART-1

***********'

$ vgexted [options] myVG /dev/disk/by-uuid/UUID-OF-PART-2
# From this point I can "forget" that I deal with a USB drive, and #+
continue the set up as with built in drives; right?

[snip]

Thanks,
Itay

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1106021024350.5816@frodo1.weizmann .ac.il">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1106021024350.5816@frodo1.weizmann .ac.il

Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Roland Mueller

Hello,

I'd like to set up a USB drive using LVM. *Could someone knowledgable confirm that the following recipe should allow me to hot-plug the USB drive without rendering the LVM file-systems inaccessible?

The recipe has a problem in the vgcreate step (below,

marked with '***********').

The physical volume is not listed in /dev/disk/by-uuid/...

Can someone suggest how to fix the recipe, or suggest a different workflow for working with lvm on hot-pluggable USBs?

Actually, you should be able to use the partitions directly to create the VG. An example that applies to your case is even in the manpage of vgcreate:
EXAMPLES

****** To create a volume group named test_vg using physical volumes /dev/sdk1, and /dev/sdl1 with default physical extent size of 4MB:

*********** vgcreate test_vg /dev/sdk1 /dev/sdl1

*Thus, as alternative to the vgcreate and vgextend steps, the following command should do it in a single step:
pvcreate myVG 7dev/sdc1 /dev/sdc2Regards,
Roland