FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

R. Clayton writes:
> Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable system?

Probably not (though I don't know exactly what you are trying to
achieve). When the next release occurs the "stable" link will be
abruptly changed to point to Wheezy (which is now "testing"). Squeeze
will then become "oldstable" but will not change.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87aae1t8nv.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">http://lists.debian.org/87aae1t8nv.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org
 
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Stan Hoeppner
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On 6/1/2011 6:07 PM, R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the stable
> release independent of what the release is called. I changed all non-commented
> appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in sources.list; do I need to do
> anything else? Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable
> system?

Why make such a change now? It will have no effect for the next ~2
years anyway. You're much better off simply changing sources.list right
before your next distribution upgrade. This is what Debian recommends,
oddly enough, and is what the vast majority of Debian Stable users do,
myself included.

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DE72203.9050705@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DE72203.9050705@hardwarefreak.com
 
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Pascal Hambourg
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
>
> You're much better off simply changing sources.list right
> before your next distribution upgrade. This is what Debian recommends,
> oddly enough

Oddly ?
The recommended upgrade path described in the Release notes is usually
more complex than just running "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".
Also it allows you to choose when to upgrade to the new stable,
preferably (in my case) after the first point release which fixes the
biggest bugs that were not discovered during the testing phase.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DE754B9.6050902@plouf.fr.eu.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DE754B9.6050902@plouf.fr.eu.org
 
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Laurence Hurst
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:07:40AM +0100, R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the stable
> release independent of what the release is called. I changed all non-commented
> appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in sources.list; do I need to do
> anything else? Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable
> system?

One of the advantages of sticking with the named release in your sources.list is that when the next release becomes stable you can still install/update/etc. your "old" system until such time as you are ready to sit down and do the dist-upgrade to the new stable in a planned manner. It's important to plan your major updates and make sure you have time to fix any unexpected issues which may arise before hitting the return key on 'apt-get dist-upgrade', even on your own [non-production] machines to avoid headaches and panicking when things do not go as intended.

Laurence


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110602091944.GB77068@diss-84-211.lut.ac.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20110602091944.GB77068@diss-84-211.lut.ac.uk
 
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Erwan David
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On 02/06/11 01:07, R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the stable
> release independent of what the release is called. I changed all non-commented
> appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in sources.list; do I need to do
> anything else? Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable
> system?
>
>
>

Be careful, when there is a major upgrade from one stable to the next
one, the upgrade path might be more complicated (eg. from lenny to
squeeze, you had to upgrade in two steps due to the changes in udev).

If you want to keep a stable version, you'd be better to get the distrib
name in the sources.list, studying the upgradepath when a new stable
distrib is released, and doing this upgrade when and how fits best for
you (this might imply some service interrupt, which you would not want
to happen at the wrong time).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DE75631.7060106@rail.eu.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DE75631.7060106@rail.eu.org
 
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:07:40 -0400, R. Clayton wrote:

> I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the
> stable release independent of what the release is called.

That seems a contradictory selection of words :-)

Stable is _now_ squeeze but it will be wheezy as soon as it gets released.

> I changed all non-commented appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in
> sources.list; do I need to do anything else? Is this the right
> approach to take for a perpetually stable system?

To keep your system in the stable branch regardless Debian's development
cycle you need to use codenames in your sources.list file, i.e.,
"squeeze".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.02.11.29.27@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.02.11.29.27@gmail.com
 
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Tom Furie
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:15:37AM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
> >
> > You're much better off simply changing sources.list right
> > before your next distribution upgrade. This is what Debian recommends,
> > oddly enough
>
> Oddly ?

It's another of the strange idioms of the English language. That usage
of "oddly enough" actually means something more like "and it should be
blatantly obvious why that is the case". Without the "enough" tagged on
it would really mean "oddly".

Cheers,
Tom

--
ignisecond, n:
The overlapping moment of time when the hand is locking the car
door even as the brain is saying, "my keys are in there!"
-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"
 
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
William Hopkins
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On 06/02/11 at 02:08pm, Tom Furie wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:15:37AM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
> > >
> > > You're much better off simply changing sources.list right
> > > before your next distribution upgrade. This is what Debian recommends,
> > > oddly enough
> >
> > Oddly ?
>
> It's another of the strange idioms of the English language. That usage
> of "oddly enough" actually means something more like "and it should be
> blatantly obvious why that is the case". Without the "enough" tagged on
> it would really mean "oddly".

Not to get into language lessons, but although it is frequently (mis-)used this way, oddly enough really does mean the same thing as oddly. It is just very rarely used without sarcasm or irony.


--
Liam
 
Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
shawn wilson
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On Jun 2, 2011 2:19 PM, "William Hopkins" <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On 06/02/11 at 02:08pm, Tom Furie wrote:

> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:15:37AM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> > > Stan Hoeppner a écrit :

> > > >

> > > > You're much better off simply changing sources.list right

> > > > before your next distribution upgrade. *This is what Debian recommends,

> > > > oddly enough

> > >

> > > Oddly ?

> >

> > It's another of the strange idioms of the English language. That usage

> > of "oddly enough" actually means something more like "and it should be

> > blatantly obvious why that is the case". Without the "enough" tagged on

> > it would really mean "oddly".

>

> Not to get into language lessons, but although it is frequently (mis-)used this way, oddly enough really does mean the same thing as oddly. It is just very rarely used without sarcasm or irony.

>


Or by people who can't write or aren't paying attention. It's called unnecessary words. One of the best things a proof reader can do is recommend the deletion of things like that. IMHO


Though, I'm not writing anything professional here and am guessing the poster wasn't either so I'll chalk it up to not paying attention.
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Steven Rosenberg
 
Default Keeping stable stable.

On 06/01/2011 04:07 PM, R. Clayton wrote:

I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the stable
release independent of what the release is called. I changed all non-commented
appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in sources.list; do I need to do
anything else? Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable
system?




I'd stick with Squeeze in sources.list. That way you can upgrade to the
next Stable release at your convenience.


If you use "stable" instead of "squeeze," your system will be less
stable because the upgrade procedure is more complicated than changing
sources.list and doing a dist-upgrade, and you could risk breakage when
Stable switches from Squeeze to Wheezy.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DE7E304.7040802@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DE7E304.7040802@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org