Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Mao Xiaoan

Default help on debian on Thinkpad R31

Hi All,

I am new to Linux. Yesterday, I installed Debian 6.0.1a on my Thinkpad
R31 (2656 J2C). It was installed successfully, but in the end when it
rebooted, the laptop monitor doesn't show anything (it is grey),
although it is still working fine if I boot it to windows. I connected
a stand-alone monitor to the laptop via VGA output, and switch to it
by Fn+F7, there is display (1280 x 1024, 75Hz). The laptop monitor
itself support display up to 1024 x 768, 60Hz.

I don't know what could be wrong, so I don't know what more
information should I provide to help identify the problem.

Can anybody help please?

Many thanks
Shaun Mao

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
William Hopkins

On 06/01/11 at 08:13pm, Mao Xiaoan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Linux. Yesterday, I installed Debian 6.0.1a on my Thinkpad
> R31 (2656 J2C). It was installed successfully, but in the end when it
> rebooted, the laptop monitor doesn't show anything (it is grey),
[snip]
> I don't know what could be wrong, so I don't know what more
> information should I provide to help identify the problem.

Try booting to single user mode and see if that loads, first. There should already be an option in grub to do this if you followed the default install options.

--
Liam

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 01 iun 11, 20:13:16, Mao Xiaoan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Linux. Yesterday, I installed Debian 6.0.1a on my Thinkpad
> R31 (2656 J2C). It was installed successfully, but in the end when it
> rebooted, the laptop monitor doesn't show anything (it is grey),

Please tell us what is the last thing that you see on screen before it
gets grey.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:13:16 +0100, Mao Xiaoan wrote:

> I am new to Linux. Yesterday, I installed Debian 6.0.1a on my Thinkpad
> R31 (2656 J2C). It was installed successfully, but in the end when it
> rebooted, the laptop monitor doesn't show anything (it is grey),
> although it is still working fine if I boot it to windows. I connected a
> stand-alone monitor to the laptop via VGA output, and switch to it by
> Fn+F7, there is display (1280 x 1024, 75Hz). The laptop monitor itself
> support display up to 1024 x 768, 60Hz.
>
> I don't know what could be wrong, so I don't know what more information
> should I provide to help identify the problem.
>
> Can anybody help please?

You may be hitting this bug:

xserver-xorg-video-intel: Intel 830MG keeps swapping blank/screen betw.
VGA1/LVDS1

You could try with the hint provided there and see if that helps :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón