Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Pablo Sánchez

Default install squeeze con core i5 2500 motherboard 1155

Hi list.

I'm looking for a core i5 2500/1155 for a server install .

Will i face any problem installing squeeze there ?

Should i install debian stock kernel or go to bpo 2.6.38 ?

Thanks .

Pablo Sánchez

Archive: 4DE677AA.8080606@adinet.com.uy">http://lists.debian.org/4DE677AA.8080606@adinet.com.uy

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 14:32:26 -0300, Pablo Sánchez wrote:

> I'm looking for a core i5 2500/1155 for a server install .
>
> Will i face any problem installing squeeze there ?

An Intel Core i5 is a very generic processor, it should not give you any
problem but we cannot tell if you will face any issues with the rest of
the server's components.

> Should i install debian stock kernel or go to bpo 2.6.38 ?

I would proceed with the stock kernel and keep that unless you encounter
a serious problem with it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Pablo Sánchez

Camaleón, thanks .
I'll just go check the chipset stepping just to be sure it's not the defective ones and order it.

Regards.

Pablo Sánchez.

Archive: 4DE67B76.3070001@adinet.com.uy">http://lists.debian.org/4DE67B76.3070001@adinet.com.uy

Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Pablo Sánchez

Well, i got an ASUS P8H67-M LX with H67 B3 revision intel chipset with a core i5 2500 .

The machine has 3 Samsung 1TB disks , that i see on the bios config, connected to sata 3gb ports .

After inserting an usb stick with realtek firmware-realtek 0.28, config the network,
I'm stuck on Scanning disk on starting up the partitioner on 50 % progress : it's stalled .

I built a pendrive with netinstall image for amd64 (debian-6.0.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso) .

Google is absolutely no help here. Searching "squeeze install intel 1155" gives this thread only,
echoed on several sites.

Archive: 4E0FD762.2060507@adinet.com.uy">http://lists.debian.org/4E0FD762.2060507@adinet.com.uy

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
lee

Pablo Sánchez <pablos@adinet.com.uy> writes:

> Well, i got an ASUS P8H67-M LX with H67 B3 revision intel chipset with a core i5 2500 .
>
> The machine has 3 Samsung 1TB disks , that i see on the bios config, connected to sata 3gb ports .
>
> After inserting an usb stick with realtek firmware-realtek 0.28, config the network,
> I'm stuck on Scanning disk on starting up the partitioner on 50 % progress : it's stalled .

Do you see any messages about the disks in the syslog?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Pablo Sánchez

lee, i didn't take a look at syslog. dmesg showed they were there.

What i ended doing, was play with the hotplug option for each disk on the bios, and it worked.
I have the system running, but i'm now trying to learn what that option means .
I don't think it's a real hotplug thing, as changing drives without shutting down the computer.
Actually got it working setting two of the drives with hotplug on and one off .

BTW it's a core i 2400 not 2500 .

Regards

Pablo Sánchez.

Archive: 4E106573.9050201@adinet.com.uy">http://lists.debian.org/4E106573.9050201@adinet.com.uy

Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 09:49:55 -0300, Pablo Sánchez wrote:

>> Pablo Sánchez<pablos@adinet.com.uy> writes:
>>
>>> Well, i got an ASUS P8H67-M LX with H67 B3 revision intel chipset
>>> with a core i5 2500 .
>>>
>>> The machine has 3 Samsung 1TB disks , that i see on the bios config,
>>> connected to sata 3gb ports .
>>>
>>> After inserting an usb stick with realtek firmware-realtek 0.28,
>>> config the network, I'm stuck on Scanning disk on starting up the
>>> partitioner on 50 % progress : it's stalled .

>> Do you see any messages about the disks in the syslog?

> lee, i didn't take a look at syslog. dmesg showed they were there.
>
> What i ended doing, was play with the hotplug option for each disk on
> the bios, and it worked. I have the system running, but i'm now trying
> to learn what that option means . I don't think it's a real hotplug
> thing, as changing drives without shutting down the computer. Actually
> got it working setting two of the drives with hotplug on and one off .

What's that "hotplug" thingy of the BIOS? I've never heard before about
that :-?

If that option was the one making noise and the hard disk controller had
problems at the install stage, it could be due to a BIOS bug/issue.

Also, having the hdd controller set to RAID (fake-raid) can also present
problems for the installer. I prefer to use AHCI, if possible.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Pablo Sánchez

Camaleón, maybe it's a bug with de motherboard, besides that,
i also prefer to build software raid before using the chipset's "fake raid".

I cannot find what's that hotplug stuff in the motherboard manual.
Will have to look on asus site.