Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Default About MBR in usb

Following the steps to make a memory USB booteble

Using syslinux /dev/sdx5 and install-mbr / dev / sdx

I copy the portfolios boot and gparted

adding ISO of they Owed squeezy, when I restart for bootear for this
device it puts me the following thing.

MBR FA: and later MBR 1234F:

Me inmagino that has to do with the mbr of USB seems to be that he/she
gives problems.

What could it be happening????

regards
Cosme

Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 09:18:42AM -0400, cosme@esid.gecgr.co.cu wrote:
> Following the steps to make a memory USB booteble
>
> Using syslinux /dev/sdx5 and install-mbr / dev / sdx
>
> I copy the portfolios boot and gparted
>
> adding ISO of they Owed squeezy, when I restart for bootear for this
> device it puts me the following thing.
>
> MBR FA: and later MBR 1234F:
>
> Me inmagino that has to do with the mbr of USB seems to be that he/she
> gives problems.
>

> What could it be happening????

I don't know the answer to your question, but did you know that there is
a project specifically for Debian on a USB? It is Debian Live. There
are prebuilt images available for download, or you can make your own
using live-build or live-magic, or you can make your own using the web
tool: http://live-build.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-build

In order to save your files, settings, and changes to the live system,
you need to enable "persistence".

There is also a debian-live mailing list.

-Rob

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Brian

On Wed 01 Jun 2011 at 09:18:42 -0400, cosme@esid.gecgr.co.cu wrote:

> Following the steps to make a memory USB booteble
>
> Using syslinux /dev/sdx5 and install-mbr / dev / sdx
>
> I copy the portfolios boot and gparted
>
> adding ISO of they Owed squeezy, when I restart for bootear for this
> device it puts me the following thing.

If what you want is to put Squeeze on a USB stick and boot from it, do:

cat squeeze.iso > /dev/sdx

rather than use syslinux.