Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

Default aptitude/apt-get hangs during update (plus) on IPv6

Hi,

I'm seeing if there is an alternate answer here before filing a bug. (I
believe) All of the servers here that have IPv6 configured hang while
attempting an update on security.debian.org. If I turn off IPv6 by
deconfiguring the IPv6 address, then the update goes through fine.

When I check with tcpdump to be sure the firewall isn't the culprit, I
find that all of the packets that reach the firewall also make it to the
server and a conversation of 20-22 packets occurs (20 on one server, 22
on a different one). [If anyone wants to provide me with a state
transition diagram, or even a description, for the protocol aptitude
follows in doing the update, then I'd be happy to track down where
exactly in the process it hangs.] I can go back and forth with enabling
and disabling IPv6, and IPv4 always seems to work (just tried it with
one server).

Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like
an official bug, then let me know.

thanks,
-jeff

Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Erwan David

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:50:48PM CEST, "Jeffrey B. Green" <jeff@kikisoso.org> said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing if there is an alternate answer here before filing a bug. (I
> believe) All of the servers here that have IPv6 configured hang while
> attempting an update on security.debian.org. If I turn off IPv6 by
> deconfiguring the IPv6 address, then the update goes through fine.
>
> When I check with tcpdump to be sure the firewall isn't the culprit, I
> find that all of the packets that reach the firewall also make it to the
> server and a conversation of 20-22 packets occurs (20 on one server, 22
> on a different one). [If anyone wants to provide me with a state
> transition diagram, or even a description, for the protocol aptitude
> follows in doing the update, then I'd be happy to track down where
> exactly in the process it hangs.] I can go back and forth with enabling
> and disabling IPv6, and IPv4 always seems to work (just tried it with
> one server).
>
> Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like
> an official bug, then let me know.
>
> thanks,
> -jeff

It might be a routing/firewall problem on IPv6 the way between you and
security.debian.org, since it works for me.

Do you succeed in browsing http://security.debian.org with IPv6 activated ?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:50:48 -0400
"Jeffrey B. Green" <jeff@kikisoso.org> wrote:

> When I check with tcpdump to be sure the firewall isn't the culprit, I
> find that all of the packets that reach the firewall also make it to
> the server and a conversation of 20-22 packets occurs (20 on one
> server, 22 on a different one).

Doing a capture to file and examining with wireshark shows several 404
"Not Found" HTTP messages, in particular:

The requested
URL /dists/squeeze/updates/contrib/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2 was not
found on this server.

-AND-

The requested
URL /dists/squeeze/updates/contrib/i18n/Translation-en.bz2 was not
found on this server.

I'm guessing the IPv4 and IPv6 security servers are not the same
machine.

-jeff

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

David Erwin writes:

I'm seeing if there is an alternate answer here before filing a bug. (I
believe) All of the servers here that have IPv6 configured hang while
attempting an update on security.debian.org. If I turn off IPv6 by
deconfiguring the IPv6 address, then the update goes through fine.

It might be a routing/firewall problem on IPv6 the way between you and
security.debian.org, since it works for me.

Do you succeed in browsing http://security.debian.org with IPv6 activated ?

Yes. I do a "wget" since it's a server without any windowing. Also, the
updates/upgrades had been working just fine until this one.

I tracked the conversation at the firewall to be sure the wget was going
through IPv6 and it was.

The Debian server it goes to is: 2001:4f8:8:36::6.

-jeff

Archive: 4DE509CA.3040005@kikisoso.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DE509CA.3040005@kikisoso.org

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:50:48 -0400, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:

> I'm seeing if there is an alternate answer here before filing a bug. (I
> believe) All of the servers here that have IPv6 configured hang while
> attempting an update on security.debian.org. If I turn off IPv6 by
> deconfiguring the IPv6 address, then the update goes through fine.
>
> When I check with tcpdump to be sure the firewall isn't the culprit, I
> find that all of the packets that reach the firewall also make it to the
> server and a conversation of 20-22 packets occurs (20 on one server, 22
> on a different one). [If anyone wants to provide me with a state
> transition diagram, or even a description, for the protocol aptitude
> follows in doing the update, then I'd be happy to track down where
> exactly in the process it hangs.] I can go back and forth with enabling
> and disabling IPv6, and IPv4 always seems to work (just tried it with
> one server).

I think this also happened to me just a few days ago. I couldn't reach
any of the security servers and suspected it was because apt tried to
reach the ipv6 server which, thanks to my ISP (grrr!), is something I
still can't do :-/

How I solved it? Retrying the update command until I finally got the ipv4
server address as response }:-)

> Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like an
> official bug, then let me know.

There is a wishlist bug report to enable/disable ipv6 just for apt, which
I think it should be something nice to have at least for this ipv4/ipv6
transtitional period that is coming...

please give apt.conf.d option to disable ipv6

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:15:13 -0400
"Jeffrey B. Green" <jeff@kikisoso.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:50:48 -0400
> "Jeffrey B. Green" <jeff@kikisoso.org> wrote:
> >
> > When I check with tcpdump to be sure the firewall isn't the
> > culprit, I find that all of the packets that reach the firewall
> > also make it to the server and a conversation of 20-22 packets
> > occurs (20 on one server, 22 on a different one).
>
> Doing a capture to file and examining with wireshark shows several 404
> "Not Found" HTTP messages, in particular:

Another tidbit: I did an update (IPv4) and then a safe-upgrade (IPv6)
which hung. I got a tcpdump of that. There was a 404 in common with the
previous IPv6 update plus a:

14 11:00:09.380965 2001:4f8:8:36::6
xxxx:xxxx::xx HTTP [TCP Previous segment lost]
Continuation or non-HTTP traffic (text/html)

That was in common across both.

-jeff

Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 09:50:48, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:

> Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like
> an official bug, then let me know.

This sounds like you might want to contact debian-admin

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Chris Brennan

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 09:50:48, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:

> Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like

> an official bug, then let me know.

This sounds like you might want to contact debian-admin

The 404's you were getting, I got them as well on my Debian 6 VPS. No firewall in place on he VPS (yet, as I am still setting it up) but every time I run an update, I see the 404's against s.d.o ... the VPS is IPv4 only but the hosting provider may be doing IPv6 w/o my knowledge.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"