Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Camaleón

Default xorg with nvidia drivers

On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:58:09 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:

(...)

> I didn't see anything obtuse that would cause the type of behavior such
> as I was seeing. However, I stripped it down as far as I could (e.g.
> removing the options from the screen sections), I still see the same
> behavior. Can anyone see what could be causing this strange crashiness?

How about using a minimalistic (even more than the one you tested)
xorg.conf file?

I would start from here:

ftp://download1.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/270.41.19/README/configmultxscreens.html

(remember to make a backup of your current "xorg.conf" file)

In addition to manually set X server, there is also "xrandr" that may
help you with your dual screen layout but true is that I'm not sure about
the status of "xrandr" when using the nvidia closed driver, I mean, I
dunno if all of the options are available :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 07:58:09, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a problem a couple of months ago on my laptop (a Dell Latitude E6500)
> in which after an upgrade of the nvidia drivers (as far as I was able to
> determine) from 195.36.31-6 to 270.41.06-1 resulted in a problem in which
> starting any KDE application would cause a traceback and crashing X. I dug
> on this and didn't find anything online that helped me figure out the
> problem...So I rebuilt. Everything worked in squeeze with the older drivers.
> Then, recently, I upgraded to wheezy, and started experiencing the same
> issue.

How about attaching a full /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a crash and a
"good" Xorg.0.log

Regards,
Andrei