Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Brad Alexander

Default xorg with nvidia drivers

Hi,

I had a problem a couple of months ago on my laptop (a Dell Latitude E6500) in which after an upgrade of the nvidia drivers (as far as I was able to determine) from*195.36.31-6 to 270.41.06-1 resulted in a problem in which starting any KDE application would cause a traceback and crashing X. I dug on this and didn't find anything online that helped me figure out the problem...So I rebuilt. Everything worked in squeeze with the older drivers. Then, recently, I upgraded to wheezy, and started experiencing the same issue.

I determined that the problem was the xorg.conf that was generated by nvidia-settings to accomodate my dual-monitor setup in the office. If I use a generic xorg.conf only to use the nvidia driver:

Section "Device"

*** Identifier*** "Card"
*** Driver*** *** "nvidia"
EndSection

...everything works fine, albeit without the external monitor. However, if I use the one generated by nvidia-config:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

# nvidia-settings:* version 1.0* (pbuilder@c203)* Tue May 18 07:56:38 UTC 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
*** Identifier**** "Layout0"
*** Screen***** 0* "Screen0" 0 0
*** Screen***** 1* "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"

*** InputDevice*** "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
*** InputDevice*** "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
*** Option******** "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"

*** FontPath******* "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
*** # generated from default
*** Identifier**** "Mouse0"
*** Driver******** "mouse"
*** Option******** "Protocol" "auto"

*** Option******** "Device" "/dev/psaux"
*** Option******** "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
*** Option******** "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

*** # generated from default
*** Identifier**** "Keyboard0"
*** Driver******** "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
*** # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid

*** Identifier**** "Monitor0"
*** VendorName**** "Unknown"
*** ModelName***** "Seiko/Epson"
*** HorizSync****** 49.4 - 74.1
*** VertRefresh**** 40.0 - 60.0
*** Option******** "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
*** # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
*** Identifier**** "Monitor1"
*** VendorName**** "Unknown"
*** ModelName***** "ViewSonic VA2223wm"

*** HorizSync****** 24.0 - 82.0
*** VertRefresh**** 50.0 - 75.0
*** Option******** "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
*** Identifier**** "Device0"
*** Driver******** "nvidia"

*** VendorName**** "NVIDIA Corporation"
*** BoardName***** "Quadro NVS 160M"
*** BusID********* "PCI:1:0:0"
*** Screen********* 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
*** Identifier**** "Device1"

*** Driver******** "nvidia"
*** VendorName**** "NVIDIA Corporation"
*** BoardName***** "Quadro NVS 160M"
*** BusID********* "PCI:1:0:0"
*** Screen********* 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
*** Identifier**** "Screen0"
*** Device******** "Device0"
*** Monitor******* "Monitor0"
*** DefaultDepth*** 24
*** Option******** "TwinView" "0"

*** Option******** "metamodes" "DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
*** SubSection**** "Display"
******* Depth****** 24
*** EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"

*** Identifier**** "Screen1"
*** Device******** "Device1"
*** Monitor******* "Monitor1"
*** DefaultDepth*** 24
*** Option******** "TwinView" "0"
*** Option******** "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

*** SubSection**** "Display"
******* Depth****** 24
*** EndSubSection
EndSection

I didn't see anything obtuse that would cause the type of behavior such as I was seeing. However, I stripped it down as far as I could (e.g. removing the options from the screen sections), I still see the same behavior. Can anyone see what could be causing this strange crashiness?

Thanks,
--b