FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

-------- Was --------
From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision ,
better performance than Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:43 +0300

On Lu, 30 mai 11, 19:14:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,

Why do you think so?

Regards,
Andrei

Hi Andrei

I don't think so, it's a declarative statement.
I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz , it's not
very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.

Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
the drivers automatically at startup, by adding

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
case $(uname -r) in
*rt*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
esac

to /etc/rcS.d.

At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
90Hz.

The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.

I never had issues with old Debian/Ubuntu and Suse installs. I ordered
some new gear, a RME HDSPe AIO sound card + a 8 analog IO ADAT device
and some other stuff. It was delivered yesterday, but it's still
packaged, because I'm unable to set up a new Linux DAW. Old Linux DAWs
are still available by backup archives .

At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.

I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.

The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.

This is what Xorg -configure generated

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

While for Ubuntu at least the frequency and resolution can be set by an
old xorg.conf, for Debian frequency and resolution are still not set .

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best,

Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1306840695.2319.35.camel@natty">http://lists.debian.org/1306840695.2319.35.camel@natty
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

This one didn't came through the list?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: webmaster@debianhelp.org
To: ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net
Subject: There was a problem with your email to debianHELP (XORG.CONF or
a solution without xorg.conf needed)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:56:16 -0400 (EDT)

The email you sent to debian-user@lists.debian.org was rejected because
there
was a validation error.

In order for emails to be accepted by debianHELP:
- They must be sent in reply to a valid notification email.
- The reply must be done from the same email address the notification
was
sent to.


-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Subject: XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:18:15 +0200

-------- Was --------
From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision ,
better performance than Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:43 +0300

On Lu, 30 mai 11, 19:14:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,

Why do you think so?

Regards,
Andrei

Hi Andrei

I don't think so, it's a declarative statement.
I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz , it's not
very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.

Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
the drivers automatically at startup, by adding

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
case $(uname -r) in
*rt*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
esac

to /etc/rcS.d.

At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
90Hz.

The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.

I never had issues with old Debian/Ubuntu and Suse installs. I ordered
some new gear, a RME HDSPe AIO sound card + a 8 analog IO ADAT device
and some other stuff. It was delivered yesterday, but it's still
packaged, because I'm unable to set up a new Linux DAW. Old Linux DAWs
are still available by backup archives .

At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.

I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.

The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.

This is what Xorg -configure generated

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

While for Ubuntu at least the frequency and resolution can be set by an
old xorg.conf, for Debian frequency and resolution are still not set .

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best,

Ralf



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1306847780.2319.107.camel@natty">http://lists.debian.org/1306847780.2319.107.camel@natty
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Camaleón
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:16:20 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> This one didn't came through the list?
>
> -------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: webmaster@debianhelp.org
> To: ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net
> Subject: There was a problem with your email to debianHELP (XORG.CONF or
> a solution without xorg.conf needed)
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:56:16 -0400 (EDT)
>
> The email you sent to debian-user@lists.debian.org was rejected because
> there
> was a validation error.

(...)

I think this is a known issue I commented a few days ago:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/05/msg02130.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.31.13.23.27@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.31.13.23.27@gmail.com
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 13:18:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,
>
> Why do you think so?
>
> I don't think so, it's a declarative statement.

Since you didn't provide more info I guessed you assumed you need one,
while with reasonably recent hardware it's not needed in 99% of the
cases

> I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz , it's not
> very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
> to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.

That's a good reason for an xorg.conf

> Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
> the drivers automatically at startup, by adding
>
> rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> case $(uname -r) in
> *rt*)
> cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> ;;
> *)
> cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> ;;
> esac
>
> to /etc/rcS.d.

Could you provide more details why you have to change drivers?

> At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
> solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
> 90Hz.
>
> The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
> an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.

The big question about the monitor is if it (correctly) sends EDID data
to the video card. Please post the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
starting without any xorg.conf.

> At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
> soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
> work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.
>
> I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.
>
> The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.
>
> This is what Xorg -configure generated
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection

You don't have to specify everything in xorg.conf, just the minimal
stuff to get your monitor working as you want it. Assuming your monitor
doesn't send (correct) EDID data you'll need at least something like
this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "My Monitor"
HorizSync XX XX
VertRefresh YY YY
EndSection

The values for XX and YY should be taken from the monitors
manual/specifications, otherwise you can fry it.

With this info Xorg might be able to setup a usable resolution/refresh
rate. The next step (if needed) would be to specify one ore more
resolutions from which Xorg can choose (default will be the highest). If
this is still not enough you'll need to generate a Modeline specific to
your monitor.

Hope this is enough info to get you going. If you get stuck feel free to
ask for more infos on list[1], but always attach full xorg.conf (or
xorg.conf.d files) and the respective /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

[1] BTW, I do read the list, CC-ing me is not necessary

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 20:14 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 31 mai 11, 13:18:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,
> >
> > Why do you think so?
> >
> > I don't think so, it's a declarative statement.
>
> Since you didn't provide more info I guessed you assumed you need one,
> while with reasonably recent hardware it's not needed in 99% of the
> cases
>
> > I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz , it's not
> > very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
> > to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.
>
> That's a good reason for an xorg.conf
>
> > Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
> > the drivers automatically at startup, by adding
> >
> > rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > case $(uname -r) in
> > *rt*)
> > cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > ;;
> > *)
> > cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > ;;
> > esac
> >
> > to /etc/rcS.d.
>
> Could you provide more details why you have to change drivers?

Yes, but lets skip this. One xorg.conf or an alternative without the
proprietary driver would satisfy me at the moment.
Sometimes the rt-patched kernel can't be used with NVIDIA proprietary
drivers, because it isn't able to build the driver or because the driver
isn't good regarding to real-time performance.

At the moment it's only important to get the wanted resolution + the
wanted vertically frequency, without the proprietary driver. I'll do
some trial and error later.

>
> > At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
> > solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
> > 90Hz.
> >
> > The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
> > an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.
>
> The big question about the monitor is if it (correctly) sends EDID data
> to the video card. Please post the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
> starting without any xorg.conf.

Ok, I'll flag this email, to keep this in mind.

>
> > At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
> > soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
> > work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.
> >
> > I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.
> >
> > The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.
> >
> > This is what Xorg -configure generated
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "Protocol" "auto"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> > EndSection
>
> You don't have to specify everything in xorg.conf, just the minimal
> stuff to get your monitor working as you want it. Assuming your monitor
> doesn't send (correct) EDID data you'll need at least something like
> this:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "My Monitor"
> HorizSync XX XX
> VertRefresh YY YY
> EndSection

I've got a set up that works with Ubuntu Maverick and Ubuntu Natty, but
it don't works for Debian stable, I need to check if I might have chaged
something randomly ... later today.

>
> The values for XX and YY should be taken from the monitors
> manual/specifications, otherwise you can fry it.
>
> With this info Xorg might be able to setup a usable resolution/refresh
> rate. The next step (if needed) would be to specify one ore more
> resolutions from which Xorg can choose (default will be the highest). If
> this is still not enough you'll need to generate a Modeline specific to
> your monitor.
>
> Hope this is enough info to get you going. If you get stuck feel free to
> ask for more infos on list[1], but always attach full xorg.conf (or
> xorg.conf.d files) and the respective /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> [1] BTW, I do read the list, CC-ing me is not necessary
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Oops, perhaps an issue regarding to Evolution and mailing list
filtering, but maybe my fault.

Thank you,

Ralf



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1306864667.2376.14.camel@natty">http://lists.debian.org/1306864667.2376.14.camel@natty
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

Hi all, hi Andrei,

the first trial, when ignoring the mouse wheel issue, was successful.
Oh, wait, I've forgotten to check the resolution, but the session
started and the frequency was at 90 Hz and I bet the wanted resolution
is available too. Anyway, there is something annoying. At startup and
shutdown, several times, perhaps more than 5 times, there's the
monitor's relay switching. Not really good for the relay . Usually,
e.g. for Ubuntu Maverick, Natty and Suse 11.2, the relay only one time
does switch.

Anyway, there's no issue regarding to monitor settings.

Perhaps it's useful for someone to use my xorg.conf as a template.

The rough (first trial , working xorg.conf is attached.

Thank you,

Ralf

PS: Still bad that the mouse wheel does not work.



Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri2"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
#Load "GLcore"
#Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Plug 'n' Play"
ModelName "Plug 'n' Play"
DisplaySize 305 230
HorizSync 29-98
VertRefresh 50-120
modeline "1152x864" 128.42 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 910
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "MergedFB" "off" #old debian/ubuntu
Identifier "Card0"
#Driver "nvidia"
#Driver "nv"
Driver "nouveau"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"

Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864"
#Virtual 3840 1200
EndSubSection

# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 1
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 4
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 8
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 15
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 16
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 24
# EndSubSection
EndSection
 
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 23:17:37, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> The rough (first trial , working xorg.conf is attached.

The "Module" section is useless, you can get rid of it.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org