Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default Number of systems running user Debian? ; gre

What numeric info is available about the # of systems running Debian for
users (desktop, laptop, notebook, not server)?

Any breakdown by country?

What #'s are there for # of daily apt-get update requests?

Thanks

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux

== Smartphone Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/Smartphone
Join in the Global monthly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 31 May 2011 01:01:05 -0700, giovanni_re wrote:

> What numeric info is available about the # of systems running Debian for
> users (desktop, laptop, notebook, not server)?
>
> Any breakdown by country?
>
> What #'s are there for # of daily apt-get update requests?
>
> Thanks

Good question.

Does Debian make online surveys to their users and computer usage? It
should be nice for having a better understanding about Debian's community
and their needs, goals, expectations, user involvement in projects, etc...

> http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux

I don't know where are those numbers coming from but it sounds realistic
to me. We all know that poll results can be misleading or biased but
sometimes they're better than nothing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 01:01:05, giovanni_re wrote:
> What numeric info is available about the # of systems running Debian for
> users (desktop, laptop, notebook, not server)?
>
> Any breakdown by country?
>
> What #'s are there for # of daily apt-get update requests?
>
> Thanks
>

> http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux

The only "official" Debian survey I know of is 'popularity-contest'
(popcon). While it's mostly intended to monitor package use[1] it does
have total numbers of submissions.

However, since Debian values user privacy there is a special question
during the installation (defaulting to "No") to ask for user's consent
about gathering the data and submitting it (anonymously, of course).

Also popcon needs a working MTA setup to submit the data, which is not
really common these days and was known to rely on 'atime'[2], while it
is not uncommon to mount file systems with 'noatime'.

Because of all these reasons popcon data is far from being accurate to
try to guess absolute numbers (ex. total numbers of users), but it is
good for comparisons (package A is x times more popular than package B).

[1] one less known feature of popcon is 'popcon-largest-unused'
[2] not sure if this is still the case

Not really helpful, but I thought you might want to know

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Memnon Anon

[...]

,----[ /usr/share/doc/popularity-contest/FAQ
| Q) /usr is mounted with 'noatime'.
|
| A) popularity-contest relies on atime to know what packages were used during
| the last month. This means you will only report the list of packages
| installed without usage information.
`----

Memnon