Old 11-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Russ Cook

Default Sound initialization (alsaconf) difficulty

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 13:21:32 -0600, Russ Cook wrote:

[...]

You were right on all counts. Killing esd restored sound on
my system. I don't log in via gdm. I start up in text mode,
and run 'startx' to start X11. Gnome comes up with it. Now
I need to learn what the pros and cons are of letting esd
run, and how to make every other sound app play well
with it.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome. Here are some suggestions for further reading:

http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Gnome-ESD-sound-events-ALSA-working-ftopict478820.html
http://seehuhn.de/pages/alsa

Visiting http://help.lockergnome.com resulted in my learning that
I needed to replace libesd0 with libesd-alsa0. The latter allows
multiple applications to use the sound system simultaneously.
Problem solved. Thank you again!