Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 AM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Default GRUB GRUB black screen

14/05/2011 08:18, Russell Gadd wrote:
> One of my operating systems (a version of Debian Squeeze) is now
> refusing to boot. It just shows a black screen with the 2 words GRUB
> GRUB in the top left hand corner. I wonder if anyone has seen this
> sort of behaviour before?

[snip]

> I use a common swap partition for all my Linuxes, and I have 3 other
> partitions (2 drives) for data which all OS's have access to. Each
> Linux has its own additional tmp partition. I wondered about some
> issue with the common swap partition but my other 3 Linuxes (two
> Debian one Mint) are using it with no problem.
>
> I wondered whether Kubuntu has somehow altered some BIOS setting but I
> can't see any changes - also the other Debian isn't affected. Or maybe
> it has subtly changed something which GRUB uses to identify the UUIDs.
>
> Any ideas would be very welcome.

Hi, if you haven't done anything special during kubuntu install, it
installed it's own version of grub2 in the MBR of one of the drives (but
not necessarily the one your bios sees as "first" device), and then
kubuntu probably formated the swap partition, thus changing it's UUID.

Did you try booting to one of the installed system (from a live-cd for
instance) and reinstall grub from there ?
Also, are all the systems using the same version of grub (grub "legacy",
grub2) ?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Klistvud

One of my operating systems (a version of Debian Squeeze) is now
refusing to boot. It just shows a black screen with the 2 words GRUB
GRUB in the top left hand corner. I wonder if anyone has seen this
sort of behaviour before?

...snip...

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Try out

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

The output of the script is very helpful, provided you understand it
(basic knowledge of partitioning and Grub recommended).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Russell Gadd

On 14 May 2011 21:48, tv.debian@googlemail.com <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> <snip - see above posts>
>

> Maybe LILO's simpler design can be a good choice in many situations,
> where grub fanciness (and complexity) isn't needed.
>
> Glad you solved it somehow in the end.

Thanks for your interesting discussion. I appreciate that grub2 would
do a lot for some people and I hope it matures into something which is
more easily usable in my simpler situation. Meanwhile I'll have a look
at LILO - I have already asked about it in another post.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Arno Schuring

Russell Gadd (russ.mail.lists@gmail.com on 2011-05-14 07:18 +0100):
> One of my operating systems (a version of Debian Squeeze) is now
> refusing to boot. It just shows a black screen with the 2 words GRUB
> GRUB in the top left hand corner. I wonder if anyone has seen this
> sort of behaviour before?
I've never had it display "GRUB GRUB" before, but a single "GRUB" is a
regular occurrence on my systems (well, for several values of "regular"
at least).

I've seen it happen when grub's stage2, which is located after the
bootsector, gets corrupted somehow, e.g. by some partitioning tools. A
re-invocation of grub-install (hdX) should solve the issue.

Nowadays, all my disks are GPT partitioned, which allows a special "BIOS
Boot Partition" (type ef02 I think) as a more structural way to solve
this issue.

Regards,
Arno