Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Narendra Sisodiya

Default How to install proprietary drivers in Debian 6

Question 1 ) How I can get know about the hardware configuration ? Is there any method which can list down my hardware (not all) for which i am suppose to install proprietary drivers.. In ubuntu, it displayed ATI/AMD FGLRX kind of thing which got automatically installed. Ubuntu automatically make wifi work but in debian I use to get problems.

Question 2 ) How to install proprietary drivers in order to make a system work.

My system temperature increase and it shutdown automatically. I guess this is due to FGLRX is not installed.

--
┌─────────────── ─────────┐
│* * Narendra Sisodiya

Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2011 schrieb Narendra Sisodiya:
> Question 1 ) How I can get know about the hardware configuration ? Is there
> any method which can list down my hardware (not all) for which i am suppose
> to install proprietary drivers.. In ubuntu, it displayed ATI/AMD FGLRX kind
> of thing which got automatically installed. Ubuntu automatically make wifi
> work but in debian I use to get problems.

I know two different ways. One is the command "lspci", which shows all hardware
built in. You can make a "lspci -v", which shows you more information.

Second way is the command "hwinfo"

There is also the application "kudzu", which is not part of debian, but of
Redhat.

> Question 2 ) How to install proprietary drivers in order to make a system
> work.
>
> My system temperature increase and it shutdown automatically. I guess this
> is due to FGLRX is not installed.

I do not know, which the state is at the moment. I never got fglrx running in
debian. ATI graphic cards sux! However, there is a fglrx-package available in
debian. Search in aptitude for "fglrx". You need to built the kernel-modules.
Module-assistant will be the correct way. You will need to install kernel-
headers and some sources. Module-assistant will do that for you. I recommend
module-assistant as the first choice.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Erwan David

On 14/05/11 09:18, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> I do not know, which the state is at the moment. I never got fglrx running in
> debian. ATI graphic cards sux! However, there is a fglrx-package available in
> debian. Search in aptitude for "fglrx". You need to built the kernel-modules.
> Module-assistant will be the correct way. You will need to install kernel-
> headers and some sources. Module-assistant will do that for you. I recommend
> module-assistant as the first choice.

fglrx works fine for me.

And module assistant is not needed anymore (at least in wheezy, but I
think also in squeeze) thanks to dkms.

However, first thing is to uses the non-free repositories.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 14 mai 11, 12:12:08, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:
> Question 1 ) How I can get know about the hardware configuration ? Is there
> any method which can list down my hardware (not all) for which i am suppose
> to install proprietary drivers.. In ubuntu, it displayed ATI/AMD FGLRX kind
> of thing which got automatically installed. Ubuntu automatically make wifi
> work but in debian I use to get problems.

Debian makes a 100% free (as in freedom) OS. This includes drivers and
firmware, which is why there is no such application to automatically
suggest and install proprietary drivers.

> Question 2 ) How to install proprietary drivers in order to make a system
> work.

Are you sure you need them?

> My system temperature increase and it shutdown automatically. I guess this
> is due to FGLRX is not installed.

This is a concrete problem we might be able to offer solutions to.
Please post the full output of 'lspci -nn'.

Regards,
Andrei